Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Own Hatsu!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member zzigg's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your Own Hatsu!

in order to make powerfull and helpful emission type abilities.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Mahado's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Why? I think it's more effective as Emission since casting spells requires to send your nen away as blasts.

kkck: About the Emission not being related to teleport (Two pages ago, I know, I'm late) You use nen to move to one place to another. As aura.
    I agree on the emission part. I think casting spells would work better with emission, but it might not need the staff itself to cast it. I guess it could work to transmute a staff out of nen (since it is close to emission), if you think it is an important part of your ability that you want to keep.

Took me a while to catch up on the teleportation thingy. I think it makes more sense for any kind of teleportation to be emission to be honest. If you would create a door that leads somewhere else that is another thing, but I would imagine real teleportation to require you to move your nen to the location that you want to teleport in.
    "Illusions... real illusions
    Within an illusion is the real illusion.
    From an illusion will sprout another illusion.
    Within a lie hides the the truth.
    Hidden in truth is a lie.
    This is the Mist."

-Mukuro Rokudo

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ironblade0's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh oh oh oh this sounds fun! Let me try
    um...

Actually I'm feeling motivated to create a set of abilities

So lets say I'm working with an Emitter who carriers around a bo staff for a weapon (or anytime of weapon that uses momentum from rotation).

Kazaguruma (windmill)
    Nen type: Emission/Manipulation

The user may spin the staff and build up their nen around the path of the staff. After being fully charged, the nen should look akin to a clear sawblade. The user may then swing their weapon, launching the nen like a giant shuriken. Some manipulation skill may help change its trajectory and curve it once. The only drawback is the time it takes to gather the required aura.

Sting
    Nen type: Emission/Enhancement

The user is now fighting with his opponent in close range. The staff user focuses the aura into the end of his weapon to strengthen it and jabs the opponent. If he can make contact with this opponents body, he can emit the focused aura straight through the body causing internal damage. There is not much drawback, except for leaving your own body with less aura. Very versatile

So looks like my character is a fighter that doesn't use heavy restrictions or conditions to be overwhelmingly powerful. I've been watching martial arts movies lately lol
    Last edited by ironblade0; April 21, 2013 at 08:14 PM.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That is really nice ability you got there. Really like it.
    What do you think about maybe making your Wasupu ability actually shoots small balls of nen from the tip of the staff while you rotate it. Since you are emitter, you can have the advantage of being able to swing attacks from afar.
    This is the Mist."

-Mukuro Rokudo

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

thats a neat idea Mahado. I'm going to steal it >: D

Wasp's nest
    Nen type: Emission, manipulation
    The user spins his staff above his head while releasing small spheres nen in every direction. These spheres will spread out start moving at a moderate pace around the user, each one slowly but randomly changing direction. When these spheres make contact with anything, they explode causing a small amount of damage. These spheres wander in a fixed radius around the user, so if the user moves around the spheres will follow him, and may lag behind if the user moves too quickly. Also, the spheres will make an effort to move out of the way of the user if he moves toward sphere, avoiding self-inflicted damage.

For this character's made up caliber (made up on the spot), he can currently manage about 50 balls in a 15 meter radius. The drawback is that it takes some time to set the technique up, and the user wont be able to use attacks involving a large amount of nen.

I'm renaming my wasupu ability to Sting, and it can be used while using wasp's nest. I think it sounds like a neat combo
    Last edited by ironblade0; April 22, 2013 at 03:04 AM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, this is something I thought of based on a few hatsu which have shown up here. I have been wondering of a way to actually transmute nen into several things. Transmuting nen is not actually easy at all and just learning one element takes time and patience if not years of excruciating training. Now, this is what I came up with. I think it will conform to most rules involving nen but in the end it will be either needlessly complicated or will take more time to develop than what it will be worth though. I inspired mostly on a nen a few pages back but I changed quite a few things too.

Nen type: Transmutation. Obviously, its not worth it to take another path.
    Secondary nen type: conjuration

Ability name: Staff of elements.

Now, since conjuring elements is difficult the ability will end up requiring a set of conditions to actually work and use elements with enough power to be useful. The first step is to conjure a number distinct things:

1.- The first is a staff.
    2.- The second one is colored stones (each one with the color that best represents an element).

The staff has a holder which can safely hold the stones in place on top. The rest of the staff is just a regular staff which is meant to be used in combat in a melee sort of fashion. The stones themselves can also serve in a blunt object sort of way. Since the staff and stones are conjured I take it that there wouldn't be an issue in applying reinforcement to them while in combat.

Anyways, on to the main ability. The point is that each stone represents an element and you can only use an element when the stone representing that element is placed on the holder of the staff. The idea is that elements can only be originated from the stones when they are placed on the staff and the elements will not originate from any other point in the staff or your body. Basically you pledge that you will only use an element when the right stone is on the staff. I am not sure of what the penalty from breaking the pledge could be.... death would have the ideal result however losing the element altogether is more reasonable. I will get to that later on. Now, the stones I had in mind where the following:

Red stone of fire
    Blue stone of water(or ice)
    Yellow stone of electricity
    White stone of wind

I am not sure of what other elements you could have though. I thought of earth however that sounds more like conjuring than materialization. I am not sure of how it would work either with the rule of only being able to make elements appear from the colored rock. You could make earth however giving it any practical use would require emission or worst, manipulation. The ability does not actually allow you to control actual earth, that would be as far as I can tell manipulation.

I have thought of other elements but I feel they would have too much emission so to speak so I will avoid those. Light is not quite something you would be able to maintain contact with the staff so to speak. It would end up being a pure lazer so to speak anyways which is textbook emission. Darkness is not really something and I am not sure what it would actually do. Even manga is generally ambiguous as to what darkness is or its effects. Poison would be a good one although for me to actually poison someone I would have to leave poison inside of him which is also emission.

Wind is also iffy for me.... It sounds like something that should be emitted which is an issue. You wouldn't be able to control regular wind, just the one that comes from the stone... Perhaps as long as the wind is in contact with the staff there will not be an emission issue though.

Now, as for other conditions and rules:

-The staff can be summoned at any time at will.
    -Stones can be summoned if the criteria are met. The rules to summon any stone are simple, you just need to have access and touch the actual element. So basically if you want to summon the stone of fire you need to touch fire or touch water or touch wind or touch electricity. Its not a huge risk though, nen can be used to protect yourself when you touch any of them. For this practical reason you must always carry some of the elements with you. In this case I would think a flask of water, a lighter, a small fan or a battery would do the trick.

Now, the ability is already complicated enough so emission will not be a strong suit of the user. Basically the moment an element loses direct contact with the staff it will be subjected to any limitations the user will have with emission. Basically the idea is to not emit elements.

Now, I thought of adding a little of what killua does with his recharging thing... Basically if the appropriate color stone of each element comes in contact with the element it can be converted to nen which can recharge the nen of the user. It works with fire and electricity because they either are or are emitting energy. It would not work with wind or water though unless the wind is moving really fast or the water is really hot. Of course if the wind is too fast then it will be a hazard to you too.

Thinking about it wind can also be used to work as en. The wind element will only work provided there is direct contact between the wind and the staff through more wind so as to avoid most of the emission issues (kinda like how maki's or hisoka's nen works) and it would naturally cover large areas to begin with. It could even be more practical than regular en considering it would not necessarily have to be a circle, it would take whatever form you give it.

Now, as for the final thing the ability my hatsu has we assume that the result of breaking the pledge of using elements without the appropriate stone is death. Death is the ultimate consequence, we even saw kurapica use a death pledge and he actually matched the ryodan. If you desperately have to use an element and you need the ultimate power you can break the pledge at the cost of your life. For the next few minutes before you die you will be able to use any and all elements you have mastered without the stones and have an unprecedented amount of power with them.

I am not sure of how the death thing will be implemented. The issue is that it would require something like the chain kurapica placed on his own heart to kill him if he breaks his pledges. Perhaps we can just assume such a nen is placed on the user.

Now, using the stones and meeting the conditions to use them would indeed have an effect on the strength of the nen but it would not quite get rid of the mastering each individual element one at a time. It would take years of training to get each element to work in battle. Just remember that killua is not supposed to have been able to use electricity at such a young age.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that you need to have a penalty for disobeying your pledge (or have a pledge in that matter). If you have the condition that you cannot activate the ability without the criteria to be met, you won't need the death penalty. This is different from Kurapica's case. In his case, the pledge was Incorporeal, it wasn't a real object that he had to have, or an act that he had to do. I have always wondered about what would have happened if he used it in Hisoka before knowing that he was an imposer, but that is another topic. All in all, being a spider was something in his mind only. In your case, you need the staff and the stone to actually do something. It isn't going to work otherwise.

The condition for creating the staff and the stone are reasonable, and I get how the condition for the wind is messing with you. You could have each element have power that correlate with how hard the stone/gem was created. That would make the wind element the weakest since it is relatively easy to get (not talking about air). Also, I think that you can transmute earth too. It just won't be a real object. It would be rocks that are made from nen, which is I think could work. these are just ideas I am throwing out there. Not sure how valid they are.

Now if you are working with transmutation as your type, the ability will indeed becomes weaker by distance. This doesn't necessarily mean that it is unusable (as is the case with Hisoka and Machi). It just means that you would be more powerful in close range. For example, by having the red stone, you would be able to transmute fire around you and extend it close to you. By extending it further away, your fire will slowly lose its effectiveness. The range could get larger by training of course.

If this ability's purpose is to have you use different elements, you wouldn't need all the time to develop all of them. The ability's conditions are there for you to transmute different elements. Obviously, you will need time to acquire them, but it won't be as hard as a regular person developing an element.
    If you go through the trouble to develop each element individually, you wouldn't need to use the staff at all. In which case, the conditions for the staff would be used to boost up your emission in order to "shoot" your spells.

I am not sure about this, but I think that the only reason people stick to one or two things to transmute is so that they can develop them and improve them over time. I don't think there is something that restricts them from transmuting everything except that they won't have time to perfect them all. Hisoka has two things which he transmutes with no restrictions. If he had time, I think he would have been able to transmute more stuff, but they would all be weak, not synchronized, and useless in combat. Which is why I think that using the complicated conditions are the reason that you would be able to transmute different things somewhat effectively. Of course, you could improve one element by training with it longer.
    This is the Mist."

-Mukuro Rokudo

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, there are different sorts of pledges... Some of them require conditions and penalties and others are just things that come up with time (like with kurapica's nen or gon's rock battle cry). It is technically plausible to learn how to transmute a number of things but in this particular hatsu the idea is to make up for the time issue of learning and mastering materialization of different elements by adding conditions to strengthen them. Of course one an element is mastered the end result will be it being stronger than it would be otherwise. Its basically a twofold deal. And it makes sense, you are basically trying to make up for years worth of training.

Transmuting in itself earth and a couple other elements is not the issue in itself, the issue is avoiding the emission can of worms. As a transformation (preferably leaning for conjuration) emission is quite far and an issue at large. I feel that transmuting earth would force me to use emission which is something I can avoid with fire, water, wind or electricity. Even if I do create a huge rock with various shapes and wave it around with the staff it would be an issue. Since nen takes the properties of the element in question it would mean I am waving around a huge piece of rock so to speak. It would require enormous strength. I guess it could have practical uses however it would still be less versatile than the other elements in terms of shape and abilities. There is no scenario in which I am not waving around a ton of rock from the staff....

With hisoka and machi their abilities loose effectiveness when they lose contact with it. Once contact is lost the ability looses further power with distance from the user. In my case my idea is to avoid the emission issue altogether the same way they do, by not loosing physical contact with what they are transmuting. So there will always be a string of fire or wind or water or electricity connected to more of the element. Even killua is able to use long range electricity attacks this way.

The staff is meant to boost, that is the whole point. I don't think you can just create elements randomly though, I would think that each element I use will require the same sort of training killua did for his.

Well, I did mention just one element could take years of excruciating training to achieve so this hatsu is indeed a very long run bet and could take well over a decade to fully develop and even that would be conservative. Its a big risk big return kinda deal. Even while you are mastering it though you would have a reliable weapon in the staff and in the short run it should be plausible to incorporate elements into the mix.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner nommie's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Have no idea about the name, but I DO want a hatsu that can make Togashi back to work.
    Maybe manipulating his feeling? Making him wanting to work... but maybe it will require a very VERY complicated conditions to make it works on him
    Nen type: should be Manipulation-Emission
    Conditions:
    1. Only can be applied to 1 person that is Togashi
    2. The manipulator should be able to see the target
    3. The manipulator and the target should be in a range of 20 meters
    4. Only works for as long as 8 hours/day

Maybe any of you guys can help me with the conditions?

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it would just need something to place on togashi to actually start the manipulation. For manipulators the most basic is doing something to someone to start controlling. Illumi uses needles, shalnark an anthena, some girl used a kiss and so on....

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, since you are only targeting one person, you could have a pledge not to use it on anyone else and have him work forever.

Back to the elements ability, I think we are mostly on the same page about it. I am aware about the different kinds of penalties, I am just saying that it might not be needed in here. I can also see why you would want not to use solid elements to stay away from emission. Basically things like fire, water, wind, poison, electricity and sand(?) are things that could work. so anything that could be moved easily while still on contact with your body and/or staff.

I just want to clarify one thing:

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    The staff is meant to boost, that is the whole point. I don't think you can just create elements randomly though, I would think that each element I use will require the same sort of training killua did for his.
    From this I assume that the staff is to make up for the time needed to train each element. Meaning, you will need to go through the same type of training that Killua had, but not the spend the same amount of time for each element.

Also, are you planning to have a special feature for each element? Like using electricity for speed, fire for impact, poison for poison (obviously), water for healing or something of that sort. I think that would add a litte flavor to the ability too. I am not sure how possible these are going to be though.
    This is the Mist."

-Mukuro Rokudo

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

You assume correctly. The idea is that the strength from the determination from the rules would help make each element viable early on and once each is mastered they will be stronger than what they should be. It works all around from what I gather.

As for features, I never really thought of it that way. Basically you can do anything which is possible to do with those elements to begin with. The thing killua does should be plausible given that that is something killua gets from the properties of electricity itself rather than a special attribute of his own nen. Perhaps it would be harder in the sense that the element would come from the staff rather than the user's body though. Explosions(I think you mean that by impact) are something which I am a bit iffy about. Using an explosions is a bit of a risk for the user depending on distance. I guess that it could work provided you can cause the explosion from far away while also maintaining contact with the staff. At close range you would need to protect yourself like genzuru did.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like this staff of elements idea, it does seem plausible. The limits being imposed as far as having to be in contact with the transmuted elements and having to switch stones to use different elements works nicely. The main inconsistency here seems to be the issues of having to train to use multiple elements. I would suggest putting a further impairment with the staff, to cut down on training time and make up for its wide range of powers.

Perhaps say they stones themselves had a sort of "charge" on them, so that the longer they are used in the staff their element's power would slowly be reduced. This way the user, at the cost of having several types of powerful elements, would be forced to change their elements even in mid battle. The stones could be charged up by possibly pouring nen into them for extended amounts of time, or something that would prevent being able to recharge in battle.

I think this is able to make up for extended resistance training for each element, as that really doesn't seem plausible. Heck if this person really could master that many elements, this restriction would really make them a powerhouse.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner emerZone's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

ok so im an emission type
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ironblade0 View Post
    I really like this staff of elements idea, it does seem plausible. The limits being imposed as far as having to be in contact with the transmuted elements and having to switch stones to use different elements works nicely. The main inconsistency here seems to be the issues of having to train to use multiple elements. I would suggest putting a further impairment with the staff, to cut down on training time and make up for its wide range of powers.

Perhaps say they stones themselves had a sort of "charge" on them, so that the longer they are used in the staff their element's power would slowly be reduced. This way the user, at the cost of having several types of powerful elements, would be forced to change their elements even in mid battle. The stones could be charged up by possibly pouring nen into them for extended amounts of time, or something that would prevent being able to recharge in battle.

I think this is able to make up for extended resistance training for each element, as that really doesn't seem plausible. Heck if this person really could master that many elements, this restriction would really make them a powerhouse.
    My impression was that putting further impairment on the staff would make it impractical to be honest. The conditions aren't overwhelmingly strict but any more than that and fighting could be hampered too much. In a worst case scenario you have to be able to change stones in the middle of the fight and you would already require at least a few moments to change elements which can already be fatal in the middle of a battle. Having a pledge and conditions does not reduce the training time required per say though, they are simply meant to strengthen nen through determination and whatnot. They are a way to boost the strength of nen but overall training is something which will have to take its natural course. I don't think training time can really be reduced significantly this way to be honest, it is simply a way to make a hatsu reach its definite form earlier so to speak.

Charging the stones is a bit of a grey area for me. Wouldn't that require emission? My idea is that you channel nen through the staff into the stone (perhaps like shu) and from then nen is given the properties of an element. Once a stone is "charged" it means the stone itself is given nen however for the nen to remain in the stone there would be an emission requirement.

New Reply
Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast