Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 192

Thread: Guilty Crown

  1. #1
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Holy Grail
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,960
    Post Thanks / Like

    Guilty Crown



    Title: Guilty Crown
    Episodes: 22
    Status: Ongoing
    Aired: October 14th, 2011 to March ??
    Producers: Production I.G
    Genres: Action, Magic, Sci-Fi


    Summary:

    The story takes place in Tokyo in 2039. After the outbreak of the unidentified virus "Lost Christmas" in 2029, Japan has been under the control of a multinational organization called GHQ. Ouma Shu is a 17-year-old boy who has a psychic power in his right hand. He can use the power "Ability of King" to extract tools or weapons from his friends. He has been avoiding making trouble for others but his life changes when he meets a girl named Yuzuriha Inori, a member of a resistance guerrilla group called "Undertaker", whose members pilot mecha weapons to fight against the government.

    Opening Theme: "My Dearest" by Supercell
    Ending Theme: "Departures ~Anata ni Okuru Ai no Uta~" by EGOIST

    Spoiler: Japanese Cast show



    First Impression:

    8/10

    The first episode was well-executed and impressed with some good looking animation/art.
    There's still a lot up in the air, the main character's and the overall theme were barely introduced. Still the first episode kinda reminded me of Code Geass, the premise looks very similar with the only difference being a different superpower, different characters and a different country/coalition of countries. Nevertheless I won't say that it's a cheap copy, the story has it's on charme and the tone seems a lot more dark. You could discuss a lot about the anime's originality but I still think and believe that this will be one of the best shows of the season, even though that's just based on the first ep so we will have to see how it turns out.

    Extra Info: A manga adaptation will begin serialization in the November 2011 issue of Gangan Comics' Monthly Shōnen Gangan. A spin-off visual novel tentatively named Guilty Crown: Lost Christmas is being developed by Nitroplus.(wikipedia)
    Last edited by thornofcarrion; November 04, 2011 at 10:29 AM.

  2. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
  3. #2
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    21
    Posts
    9,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Guilty Crown

    Finally get to watch this tonight.

    I agree that the idea reminds me of Code Geass very much. The basic plot is similar, especially with the addition of mecha. But I won't judge this series a copy of Code Geass yet, as it looks promising in its own way. What I very much like from the first episode is the usage of matching back song for each condition. It helped to bring the viewers to the situation the character is in. The design is well done. The overall presentation (like how they present the conversation and thoughts, how we jump from one scene to another, etc.) is great as well. Quite fast for me, but not to a confusing level.

    Definitely going to try this out more.

  4. #3
    News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    8th Day
    Country
    Singapore
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Guilty Crown

    Same as phio, finally got to watching this.
    Wow, last part of the episode had me on the edge..production I.G did it again to me.

    I don't get how its similar to code geass but we'll see.
    I like the protagonist already , he is relatable and so human.
    This episode plays like a game..the characters looks like they come out straight from a game which makes it cool.
    I do hope that they don't overuse the songs, that will leave a bad taste if its used every episode unless they do it right like Star driver.

    Looks like there is also the mystery element in the show, lost memories? or fake ones? What is their relationship?
    I look forward to the answers and whether Ouma Shu is just an ordinary person turned hero or an established one since young.

    Guilty crown draws me in with its first episode already which is no surprise seeing how much people were going crazy/ looking forward to it.

    Edit: Before I forget...SUPERCELL

  5. #4
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    21
    Posts
    9,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Guilty Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    I don't get how its similar to code geass but we'll see.
    Perhaps it is different for others, but here are parts which make me think that this is similar to Code Geass:
    1. When the girl Shu met on train said "Ward 24". I was instantly remembered of Code Geass, as it was also how Japan was referred to ("Area 11").
    2. The basic plot we saw in episode 1 is about resistance towards bigger force, which seems to be invading Japan and renaming it the way they wanted. Similar to the basic plot of Code Geass.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeltrax View Post
    Looks like there is also the mystery element in the show, lost memories? or fake ones? What is their relationship?
    I look forward to the answers and whether Ouma Shu is just an ordinary person turned hero or an established one since young.
    Yes, I agree. Seems as if it is lost memories, or memories from a period of life before the current one, but it's just a theory. Look forward to it, and especially the changes Shu would have to go through. ^^

  6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  7. #5
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raptor02_2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    526
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Guilty Crown

    This anime became my instant favorite in Fall 2011 but it is likely most of Japan Government 's control in lost since GHQ don't give answer to Command of Supreme ask for it ... I think GHQ set up virus in last ten year... because fear is powerful tool to change people 's mind ... or i might be wrong about it ... But i will forward to watch to end... I can't wait for Soundtrack Guilty Crown ...

  8. #6
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    11,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Guilty Crown

    I agree with you, phio, that it does have a Code Geass vibe to it but that's not a bad thing. Apparently the writer for Code Geass is the writer for this show so that may explain why.

    The characters are intriguing and I'm very interested about their goals and intentions. I also thought Shu was a likeable and realistic character; I have to admit that I would be terrified about getting involved in something that might be dangerous but I admired him for trying to overcome his fear.

    The thing I'm most curious about is the "Void Genome” aka "The Power of Kings" though. What was the GHQ planning to use with that power? I bet they're going to go after Shu now since he has the power.

  9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  10. #7
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    21
    Posts
    9,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Guilty Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by riki View Post
    The thing I'm most curious about is the "Void Genome” aka "The Power of Kings" though. What was the GHQ planning to use with that power? I bet they're going to go after Shu now since he has the power.
    Again, "The Power of Kings" is similar to how Geass is sometimes referred to in Code Geass. But I didn't know the writer is the same person! :3

    Perhaps they are aiming to copy the genome, plant it to more people, and build a strong army to control the country? Pure guessing from my part. Nevertheless, it is interesting because this project seems to be a highly top secret that even some important people in military are not aware of it.

  11. #8
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    My Castle
    Country
    Winterfell
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Guilty Crown

    I watched this a few days ago because I saw this picture of Shu in tumblr so I downloaded it right away and watch it.
    Mecha is so NOT my genre but because I'm bored and Shu is quite good looking, I'm giving this anime a chance.
    Honestly, when I heard the song, it took my heart right away though I felt very uncomfortable with Inori's minim clothing.
    The story so far, well, so-so (though my friend said it's a non-sense story) but that scene where Shu takes out a blade from within Inori's body is awesome (though quite sensual ).

  12. #9
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    21
    Posts
    9,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Guilty Crown

    Which fantasy story makes sense?

    I agree that the song Inori sang and background songs as well are one of the most eye-catching thing from this series. My first encounter with mecha series was with Code Geass and I had the same doubt like you before when I started it. However it turned out not be as bad as I thought; the mecha added an interesting element to the story. I believe Guilty Crown is like that too. ^^

    If you're talking about that, then Dantalian no Shoka is more or less the same. I didn't even think that way, I was waiting to see what the rocks would turn into. A sword! ^__^

  13. #10
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    My Castle
    Country
    Winterfell
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Guilty Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Which fantasy story makes sense?

    I agree that the song Inori sang and background songs as well are one of the most eye-catching thing from this series. My first encounter with mecha series was with Code Geass and I had the same doubt like you before when I started it. However it turned out not be as bad as I thought; the mecha added an interesting element to the story. I believe Guilty Crown is like that too. ^^

    If you're talking about that, then Dantalian no Shoka is more or less the same. I didn't even think that way, I was waiting to see what the rocks would turn into. A sword! ^__^
    Yeah, that's why when she said then I only replied, "It's anime after all. Anything can happen." XD

    I still don't like mecha, not matter what people say.

    Yeah, I read somewhere that the way Shu pulls out the blade is more or less the same with the way Huey pulls out the book. The difference is the former pulls it out from a mature girl while the latter pulls it out from a little girl. There's a *ehem* difference. But I got to admit that the scenes in both anime are disturbing for me.

  14. #11
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Holy Grail
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,960
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Guilty Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Again, "The Power of Kings" is similar to how Geass is sometimes referred to in Code Geass. But I didn't know the writer is the same person! :3

    Perhaps they are aiming to copy the genome, plant it to more people, and build a strong army to control the country? Pure guessing from my part. Nevertheless, it is interesting because this project seems to be a highly top secret that even some important people in military are not aware of it.
    Again, all this totally reminds me of Code Geass. I don't mind a kinda similar story but I really hope it won't be too similar. At least it looks like the main character is quite different

    Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    Mecha is so NOT my genre but because I'm bored and Shu is quite good looking, I'm giving this anime a chance.
    Honestly, when I heard the song, it took my heart right away though I felt very uncomfortable with Inori's minim clothing.
    oh my you are watching this show because the protagonist is good looking? If the story fails or isn't entertaining there's no way I would watch it anymore, may the characters be good looking or not. I hope that's not your main reason for watching this but I agree, the characters are certainly good looking

    and I liked the song too, looking forward on how it will be handled in the OP (If I'm not mistaken it's the OP song)

  15. #12
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    My Castle
    Country
    Winterfell
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Guilty Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    oh my you are watching this show because the protagonist is good looking? If the story fails or isn't entertaining there's no way I would watch it anymore, may the characters be good looking or not. I hope that's not your main reason for watching this but I agree, the characters are certainly good looking

    and I liked the song too, looking forward on how it will be handled in the OP (If I'm not mistaken it's the OP song)
    I watch most the anime I watch because the characters are good-looking, yeah, so what??
    When I first spot an anime, there's no way of knowing whether the story is going to be good or not, so I have to depend on the characters' handsomeness at first but if it turns out that the story is good, of course my reason will change. If the story turns out to bad, no matter how good-looking the characters is, of course I'll drop it.

    And by now I already know how to sing the song. :P

  16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  17. #13
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    21
    Posts
    9,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Guilty Crown

    To be honest I think I should say that the character designs in the first episode is not very eye-catching. At least to me. It is good, but not special. The strong thing for me instead lies in the plot and the characteristics of Shu, Inori, that long-haired man (I forget his name XD), or any upcoming characters.

    I think they won't make the plot too similar to Code Geass. I mean, who would like a copy-and-paste anime? I have quite high hope in this anime and the script writer, knowing how awesome Code Geass despite the weaknesses. Not that I'm expecting it would be like Code Geass. ^^

  18. #14
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Holy Grail
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,960
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Guilty Crown

    Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    I watch most the anime I watch because the characters are good-looking, yeah, so what??
    When I first spot an anime, there's no way of knowing whether the story is going to be good or not, so I have to depend on the characters' handsomeness at first but if it turns out that the story is good, of course my reason will change. If the story turns out to bad, no matter how good-looking the characters is, of course I'll drop it.

    And by now I already know how to sing the song. :P
    well you can look at the main plot beforehand but well, good looking art/animation can be a deciding point too

    looks like we got the real OP now, I like it

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    To be honest I think I should say that the character designs in the first episode is not very eye-catching. At least to me. It is good, but not special. The strong thing for me instead lies in the plot and the characteristics of Shu, Inori, that long-haired man (I forget his name XD), or any upcoming characters.

    I think they won't make the plot too similar to Code Geass. I mean, who would like a copy-and-paste anime? I have quite high hope in this anime and the script writer, knowing how awesome Code Geass despite the weaknesses. Not that I'm expecting it would be like Code Geass. ^^
    well the character design is good but as you said, nothing exceptional. Still the art/animation looks good. The similarities to CG.. well there will be/are some but for now it doesn't look to similar so it's fine with me.

    ___________________________________________

    Newest Episode was quite interesting, this Daryl guy seems to be a very nasty type, doubt that this is all that we see from him. He's the epitome of being arrogant, thinking normal folks aren't even allowed to touch him, looks like we got our first real villain.
    Animation looks great again and I start to like the leader, he seems like an interesting character.

    I was kinda disappointed with Shu's decision but well, maybe that's the big difference between him and Lelouch. I doubt that he will find a way out, he's already way too much involved and they won't let go such a powerful "weapon". Looking forward to the next episodes!

  19. #15
    News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    8th Day
    Country
    Singapore
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: [Featured] Guilty Crown

    Didn't expected such a cool episode 2.
    Daryl is crazily insane but his personality makes me smile, am I insane too?
    I think the real last boss will be the father, maybe he'll be like lelouch's father.

    supercell..and that opening!

    Gai is a charmer and have a really cold personality, he's tough outside and inside. He's the real thing.
    Back then, I thought..."so this guy can just punch randomly guy in a suave way..so what?"
    I was wrong, he got it in him.
    The part where he placed all his trust onto shu when they just met and how he just stood there not even shivering.
    Is this guy even human <_<
    Am I the only one that thinks that he will die in the future? Just like Kamina or something? I mean, its happens sometimes.

    I agree but I'm not disappointed about shu's decision. At least I know he wouldn't go down Lelouch's path.
    His decision is very human and normal, sure..he wanted to do something and to change things as mentioned in episode 1 but I guess
    somewhere deep inside he's scared and afraid of things changing so fast around him.

    Another thing to note is the explanation of voids. So Shuu can pull weapons out of certain people now?
    Not sure how I should feel about it, I was pretty satisfied with the sword.

New Reply
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts