Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Relationship between Natsu and Zeref

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Relationship between Natsu and Zeref

I was just wondering the other day, why was Zeref sooo focussed on Natsu.
    I was thinking how can he know Natsu, what can be their relation.

Then it hit me what if Zeref was Natsu's father!
    He does kinda look like him, but you would probably say he is too young. Well for an old
    super mage he looks too young anyway, so maybe this wasn't the first fairy sphere he witnessed.

Also I think he may be the black dragon slayer Zeref. Seemingly his main power is when he has less regard for life people around him die, but isn't that the same he said about the dragon, he has no regard for human lives, caus he sees them as just pests. Would be a fitting power for a acknologia dragon slayer. (also caus it doesn't have an element)

soooo because of his black dragonslayer magic he could not be around other people anymore and became lonely and depressed just walking the earth for eternity.
    But before that he had a son, and he I don't know somehow dropped him of with a dragon.
    Well who would be able to kill him, have enough power, another dragonslayer, one who has the same magical lineage as himself maybe.

well maybe I'm totally wrong or myabe I'm part right, I'm just interested in hearing your thoughts about it

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted sarutobi_sensei's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: relation Natsu and Zeref

Honestly no. His brother or cousin? Maybe. His father? Lol no way. I'm not buying it even if Mashima tells it.

Imo, they met 400 years ago. Or even more time ago. They were part of the same order, a group of people who used the Dragon powers. Zeref most likely was tempted by something, or was really power hungry to become like what he was described. His friends, seeing what he was doing decided to make him stop, but the only one that could actually go toe to toe with him, was Natsu. Someone, most likely an ancestor of Lucy (hence the connection with Layla and probably even more of her ancestors) had some sort of power to stop Zeref, but Acnologia tried to kill that person.

Natsu wanting to protect that person decided to sacrifice his life in order to protect her.

Wendy used all her powers in order to bring back Natsu to life but the only thing that she could do was return him to a child or egg form of some sort using the dragons powers. Same with the other members of the order. Zeref touched by this decided to change and never kill again, but because of the nature of his powers he couldn't stay near people.

Acnologia angry with this swore some kind of revenge or something.

The other thing that could've happened is, Zeref changed because of Nirvana, but not only because of that, because Natsu and the other DS sacrificed themselves or used all of their power in order to stop Zeref for the sufficient time in order for him to change. After learning of what his close friends did, especially Natsu, he decided to change. The DS returned to their base egg forms or something and were frozen in space and time, kinda like how it happened now, until it was time they awoke.

3. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

OK now your making it into some camelot story with th eorder of who know what.
    Caus now ya saying they are like reincarnations or something?
    Sorry but not buying it, I liked the critic more

if this what you said was even half true I would stop watching fairy tail immediately

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot187 View Post
    OK now your making it into some camelot story with th eorder of who know what.
    Caus now ya saying they are like reincarnations or something?
    Sorry but not buying it, I liked the critic more

if this what you said was even half true I would stop watching fairy tail immediately
    How else do you intend to explain:
    Gérard mentioning Natsu being the Dragon Child.
    Grandine saying to Igneel that he's always getting into trouble (referring to Natsu)
    Natsu and Gajeel not being able to pass the 80 year old restriction made by Friede.
    Natsu knowing Wendy's name but not remembering her from anywhere.
    The prophecy about the 3 DS made by Porlyusca.
    Guildartz stating something about Natsu being the Dragon Child and then implying that someday he too will become a Dragon.
    Zeref knowing Natsu when he's supposed to be sealed for 400 years?

I'm not saying that what I wrote there is what truly happened, but some of those things might've happened.

Not an order order, but a group of friends, a guild of sorts with only them. Or they indeed belonged to an order that someone created and they were protecting someone.

It's much more plausible for me, than Zeref being Natsu's father.

6. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarutobi_sensei View Post
    How else do you intend to explain:
    Gérard mentioning Natsu being the Dragon Child.
    Grandine saying to Igneel that he's always getting into trouble (referring to Natsu)
    Natsu and Gajeel not being able to pass the 80 year old restriction made by Friede.
    Natsu knowing Wendy's name but not remembering her from anywhere.
    The prophecy about the 3 DS made by Porlyusca.
    Guildartz stating something about Natsu being the Dragon Child and then implying that someday he too will become a Dragon.
    Zeref knowing Natsu when he's supposed to be sealed for 400 years?

I'm not saying that what I wrote there is what truly happened, but some of those things might've happened.

Not an order order, but a group of friends, a guild of sorts with only them. Or they indeed belonged to an order that someone created and they were protecting someone.

It's much more plausible for me, than Zeref being Natsu's father.
    Yeah ofcourse he calls him the dragon child, caus he was raised bij Igneel.
    Yeah, ok so Natsu has been getting in trouble since he was a kid so Grandine probably refers to that.
    Yeah that 80 year barrier, ya do have a point there but I thought that was maybe becuz of their ancient magic
    since we saw Natsu as a child grow up so he would have been frozen in time or reincarnated as a child.
    Yeah and Natsu knowing wendy's name is still a mystery, maybe he heard it from Igneel or something.

And BTW Gildarts wasn;t implying that Natsu would be a dragon someday,
    he was talking about that the dragin was to strong for a human, but maybe a dragon can defeat it referring to Natsu because he is a dragonslayer with the power of a dragon.

And Zeref knowing natsu, well yeah could also be just that he heard a lot about the salamander (caus he's probably the most well known DS there) and hoped that the power of a dragonslayer could stop him.

Hmm sooo Zeref would be or an old team mate of Natsu or just an old enemy...

hmm well gues we just have to wait for it

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity llamapie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah ofcourse he calls him the dragon child, caus he was raised bij Igneel.
    Yeah, ok so Natsu has been getting in trouble since he was a kid so Grandine probably refers to that.
    Yeah that 80 year barrier, ya do have a point there but I thought that was maybe becuz of their ancient magic
    since we saw Natsu as a child grow up so he would have been frozen in time or reincarnated as a child.
    Yeah and Natsu knowing wendy's name is still a mystery, maybe he heard it from Igneel or something.

And BTW Gildarts wasn;t implying that Natsu would be a dragon someday,
    he was talking about that the dragin was to strong for a human, but maybe a dragon can defeat it referring to Natsu because he is a dragonslayer with the power of a dragon.

And Zeref knowing natsu, well yeah could also be just that he heard a lot about the salamander (caus he's probably the most well known DS there) and hoped that the power of a dragonslayer could stop him.

Hmm sooo Zeref would be or an old team mate of Natsu or just an old enemy...

hmm well gues we just have to wait for it
    So Zeref summoning a dragon wasn't evidence enough to you that he is a DS? Come on man. Whether you like it or not thats the road Mashima is taking with his story. Natsu and the other DS are clearly ancient and the fact they magically all appeared at the same time their dragon's disappeared should be evidence of this. The details of exactly what happened aren't there but its clear to me they're all ancient and they all knew each other 400 years ago.

Natsu was probably at one point capable of taking on Zeref, but a reawakening process probably took place. I imagine it was all the DS who sealed Zeref to begin with at the cost of their powers for hundreds of years possibly and their memories. Nothing else explains why Zeref appears so young now either. Its also pretty clear to me that Zeref is also much weaker than he used to be, considering ultear gave him trouble where gray basically took her out alone. If Zeref is as powerful as he is renowned to be there would have been no chance for ultear to stop him.
    Last edited by llamapie; October 20, 2011 at 06:42 AM.
    Give the best manga of all time some attention!

# of "Miura will die before Berserk is finished" comments(since Nov. 1st 2008): 96

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah right, hearing Natsu's name and the things he did would make him cry when he saw him? Honestly? :\

He's either an old team mate, or an old enemy, or both!

He was implying something about Natsu becoming one day a dragon. And lets face it, it might happen and Mashima has done it before on Rave.

Little spoiler,
    Let was a member of the Dragon Race and he could become a Dragon (though it was irreversible).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Quantized's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Relationship between Natsu and Zeref

I was just wondering the other day, why was Zeref sooo focussed on Natsu.
    I was thinking how can he know Natsu, what can be their relation.

Then it hit me what if Zeref was Natsu's father!
    He does kinda look like him, but you would probably say he is too young. Well for an old
    super mage he looks too young anyway, so maybe this wasn't the first fairy sphere he witnessed.

Also I think he may be the black dragon slayer Zeref. Seemingly his main power is when he has less regard for life people around him die, but isn't that the same he said about the dragon, he has no regard for human lives, caus he sees them as just pests. Would be a fitting power for a acknologia dragon slayer. (also caus it doesn't have an element)

soooo because of his black dragonslayer magic he could not be around other people anymore and became lonely and depressed just walking the earth for eternity.
    But before that he had a son, and he I don't know somehow dropped him of with a dragon.
    Well who would be able to kill him, have enough power, another dragonslayer, one who has the same magical lineage as himself maybe.

well maybe I'm totally wrong or myabe I'm part right, I'm just interested in hearing your thoughts about it
    Parts of it is a really nice theory and I like it.
    But it has some problems though, Natsu was picked up by his dragon upon abandoned and alone, it would be crazy coincidence if Zeref was his father and he attempted to make him a dragon slayer. But possible, nevertheless, just a crazy coincidence and I really don't like those in stories unless they got really, really, really, Really good background story as for why and it seemed planned by the author, given foreshadows one may not have picked up. One Piece, the author Oda, is extremely good to make careless hints and foreshadows in the past of the manga which then like 300 chapters later becomes meaningful and gives you a AHA feeling, for a shounen manga, I find him really good with these small tricks (: If this theory is true, I expecting nothing less from Mashima as well.

But your theory on Zeref himself seems really interesting, it might be true, imho (:

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

Also thinking about it, it's true that Natsu might be way over 80 years old. Zeref also seems to have "age issues" staying young like that.

There really is more to dragon slayers than meets the eye, they're not all about copying abilities, they seem to have some dragon essence them selves.

I don't know about the other dragon slayers, but suddenly I got a hunch that Natsu is like a phoenix, when old he's reborn, and becomes a new person but with the same soul and basic personality.
    It may be that Natsu was never abandoned to begin with, that his dragon came to his aid when he went through the burning and was reborn from the ashes...

Ok, this is a bit far fetched, but had to get some thoughts out on paper, so to speak (:
    Though I like the idea, but it's not fitting to the story or matching dragons very good.
    Last edited by Quantized; October 24, 2011 at 04:36 PM.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah right, hearing Natsu's name and the things he did would make him cry when he saw him? Honestly? :\

He's either an old team mate, or an old enemy, or both!

He was implying something about Natsu becoming one day a dragon. And lets face it, it might happen and Mashima has done it before on Rave.

Little spoiler,
    Let was a member of the Dragon Race and he could become a Dragon (though it was irreversible).
    Uhm, when did they ever imply that Natsu would one day become a dragon?

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by llamapie View Post
    So Zeref summoning a dragon wasn't evidence enough to you that he is a DS? Come on man. Whether you like it or not thats the road Mashima is taking with his story. Natsu and the other DS are clearly ancient and the fact they magically all appeared at the same time their dragon's disappeared should be evidence of this. The details of exactly what happened aren't there but its clear to me they're all ancient and they all knew each other 400 years ago.

Natsu was probably at one point capable of taking on Zeref, but a reawakening process probably took place. I imagine it was all the DS who sealed Zeref to begin with at the cost of their powers for hundreds of years possibly and their memories. Nothing else explains why Zeref appears so young now either. Its also pretty clear to me that Zeref is also much weaker than he used to be, considering ultear gave him trouble where gray basically took her out alone. If Zeref is as powerful as he is renowned to be there would have been no chance for ultear to stop him.
    Well I don't think Zeref (@least purposely) summoned the dragon, since he didn't deem to happy with the dragon coming. Maybe its like his death power and when his regard for life comes to its lowest the dragon appears or something.

I agree with the part of natsu en the other DS might be somehow older then they look/are.
    But it could have also been a reference to their magic power being ancient.
    Like I said we'll just have to see where the story will go. Caus we ain't writing it.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member thedarkoneaox's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Cez, partly you came to the same idea I did... Zeref is that dragon child another dragon slayer... Notice how we kept hearing about Zeref but nothing really added up, he was one of the darkest wizards of all time, yet he didnt have any loyal followers just a bunch of dark guilds around that wanted to try and be like him. It was also lead to believe that he was dead but never really said who was strong enough to kill him, and why it would take the dragons to keep him dead. What connection would he have to the dragons? Why would they feel the need to after 400 years to jump up and seal him or protect the seals/keys after training human kids. Makes no sense. Also a few things Zeref himself stated bring light on the subject of him being the Apocalypse dragonslayer. http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/75979972/4 to page seven. Within those statements it seems that even when he stopped just looking down on human life like the Apocalypse dragon does, his body still destroys everything around it. I believe that apart from being the black dragon slayer he worked with the other dragons to prevent Acnologia from returning until Natsu was able to kill him which would play as a better method to keep it from returning. Something to me says that he started off normal, came in contact with the dragon, was raised just like natsu, ect but with the views of the Acnologia. Im not certain that Im reading it right because I think it page 6 is where he's stating that master hades also faced him, but if that is true as long as their magical power is strong and not used up they can live a long time. And being the fact he eats everything around him due to the Black Dragon slayer magic, he's like a solar/wind/electric powered rechargable battery making him stay young forever.
    A proud member of the New Central 46!
    Harribal's Babydad and Grimmjow's Brother in Law

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Uhm, when did they ever imply that Natsu would one day become a dragon?
    Guildartz said something that implied this. Trying to find the page. But it was either after his exam or before Edolas.

Quote Originally Posted by thedarkoneaox View Post
    Cez, partly you came to the same idea I did... Zeref is that dragon child another dragon slayer... Notice how we kept hearing about Zeref but nothing really added up, he was one of the darkest wizards of all time, yet he didnt have any loyal followers just a bunch of dark guilds around that wanted to try and be like him. It was also lead to believe that he was dead but never really said who was strong enough to kill him, and why it would take the dragons to keep him dead. What connection would he have to the dragons? Why would they feel the need to after 400 years to jump up and seal him or protect the seals/keys after training human kids. Makes no sense. Also a few things Zeref himself stated bring light on the subject of him being the Apocalypse dragonslayer. http://mangastream.com/read/fairy_tail/75979972/4 to page seven. Within those statements it seems that even when he stopped just looking down on human life like the Apocalypse dragon does, his body still destroys everything around it. I believe that apart from being the black dragon slayer he worked with the other dragons to prevent Acnologia from returning until Natsu was able to kill him which would play as a better method to keep it from returning. Something to me says that he started off normal, came in contact with the dragon, was raised just like natsu, ect but with the views of the Acnologia. Im not certain that Im reading it right because I think it page 6 is where he's stating that master hades also faced him, but if that is true as long as their magical power is strong and not used up they can live a long time. And being the fact he eats everything around him due to the Black Dragon slayer magic, he's like a solar/wind/electric powered rechargable battery making him stay young forever.
    How would Natsu have killed him if Zeref said that Natsu still couldn't break him? :\

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member thedarkoneaox's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

How would Natsu have killed him if Zeref said that Natsu still couldn't break him? :\
    That part of the story is still playing itself out, Zeref also said that this was the end of this era, and also started talking like Natsu was dead. He never once confirmed it, just automatically though that since Acnologia attacked everyone was finished. Even Carla assumed the worse from her visions. I can assume that the reason why Igneel gave Natsu the scarf was not just for warmth but also like a ward, like a failsafe just in case those 2 met and Natsu wasnt ready or Zeref changed his mind/went back to his old ways... Future will tell but we will see more progress between the 2 real soon...
    A proud member of the New Central 46!
    Harribal's Babydad and Grimmjow's Brother in Law

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

I think its plausible Zeref is a relative of Natsu though not father since we know Natsu is probably older than 80 id say he's in a way like zeref and theyre actually siblings. The dragons are connected to these to and possibly Layla (due to the death date and we might know more about her this arc) hence Lucy as well. I was thinking Zeref, Layla and Natsu and the other ds where part of some event 400 years ago and the dragons met them at the time...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ifrit's Avatar
    Country
    Jordan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaveDragon View Post
    I think its plausible Zeref is a relative of Natsu though not father since we know Natsu is probably older than 80 id say he's in a way like zeref and theyre actually siblings. The dragons are connected to these to and possibly Layla (due to the death date and we might know more about her this arc) hence Lucy as well. I was thinking Zeref, Layla and Natsu and the other ds where part of some event 400 years ago and the dragons met them at the time...
    I don't think Layla fit in the 400 years thing...

I don't think it will go this far " Zeref being Natsu father" more likely Zeref wasn't a villain and in some point he turned evil....

btw was it mentioned how Natsu got the scar on his neck ?
    Dreyar Style

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RaveDragon's Avatar
    Country
    Malta
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrit View Post
    I don't think Layla fit in the 400 years thing...

I don't think it will go this far " Zeref being Natsu father" more likely Zeref wasn't a villain and in some point he turned evil....

btw was it mentioned how Natsu got the scar on his neck ?

Well she did look wise for a 16 year old and quite young as a 28 year old, just a theory she might have been a friend of zerefs like natsu was and then something happened turned zeref bad and circumstances which lead zeref to repent led the 3 and the other ds to this era ^^ for all we know Judo might not even be Lucy's real father but thats going to far i guess

father lolz no...brother could fit though

No but I bet its important and might be in his first fight with the Zman
    I said sibling

New Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast