Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: Rebecca won her block with skill or luck or both?

  1. #1
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Country
    Venezuela
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Rebecca won her block with skill or luck or both?

    Rebecca avoided most of Hakuba assult with pure skill because her father trained her from a very young age, yet she won because the more powerful threat in that block fell asleep (Canvindish) IMHO, Sabo said that she won because of skill and Donflamingo said that she was very lucky ( http://www.batoto.net/read/_/218558/..._powermanga/15)

    There is nothing like "contradicting the manga" in this case so I would like to know everybody's opinions about this matter.

  2. #2
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Spam286's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rebecca won her block with skill or luck or both?

    Any argument about this is basically moot. There are a handful of scraps of evidence with which to measure Rebecca's strength against Cavendish's. It's not nearly enough to make a definitive statement about who would have won the block if Cavendish hadn't fallen asleep. As for Hakuba, the mechanics of his appearance are completely unknown save that we know Cavendish must be asleep. We don't know why he fell asleep, we don't know Hakuba's M.O. once he's out and we don't know what makes him go back.

    All we do know is that Rebecca was able to capitalise on his appearance because she was quick enough. Since the argument that she was lucky relies on the presumption that she would not have been able to win otherwise, we can never know for sure. Hence a moot argument.

    As for what it says about her chances in the final, again, there isn't enough evidence. Hakuba's speed blitz is a feat we haven't seen the likes of before. Soru and such abilities share a similar feel, but the scale is completely different. So far as I remember, Soru has only ever been seen used to perform a single movement faster than sight, from point A to point B. Hakuba remained almost entirely unseen for the whole duration of the attack, which hit nineteen people 'in the blink of an eye'. That's probably just an expression, but then we see most of the people he hits in the midst of falling over in the same panel, so it's still very quick.

    The only other attack that bears any similarity is Brook's humming slash, but again the scale is completely different. Brook has only ever hit single targets with it, so the comparison is still not very good.

  3. #3
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Dubai
    Country
    India
    Age
    17
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    646
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rebecca won her block with skill or luck or both?

    I think it was pure skill that she dodged that attack by hakuba. Some people say that the helmet saved her. Well lets say she didnt have the helmet on. She might have been able to move her head more because of less weight. So she would still survive the attack.

    However, if hakuba didnt fall asleep, i dont really know if rebecca would be able to survive. So its both skill (dodged first attack) and luck (hakuba fell asleep).

  4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  5. #4
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Country
    Venezuela
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rebecca won her block with skill or luck or both?

    We also know that she doesn't hurt her enemies (http://www.batoto.net/read/_/201064/..._powermanga/12), just like an Aikido user.
    Would she have been able to defeat any of the big shots without hurting them? I don't think so because in order to win but produce no harm you must be truly above your opponents, just like when Luffy was eating and stopped Rebecca, or like when she was doing her "dance of swords" throwing the normal gladiators into the water. She is above everybody in that block in speed and probably CoO (except Cavendish) but we don't know about stamina/strenght ect.

    It was thanks to Hakuba that all the participants there where tested in her best field (speed and CoO) [Luck] in which she clearly won [Skill] because her training.

    You may think that this is a moot argument, but there is people claiming such things like "Saying that she won by luck is contradicting the manga" only because Sabo said so and not taking into account that Donflamingo saw everything too and said that she was lucky.

  6. #5
    Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    United States
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,984
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rebecca won her block with skill or luck or both?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hachibukai View Post
    Rebecca avoided most of Hakuba assult with pure skill because her father trained her from a very young age, yet she won because the more powerful threat in that block fell asleep (Canvindish) IMHO, Sabo said that she won because of skill and Donflamingo said that she was very lucky ( http://www.batoto.net/read/_/218558/..._powermanga/15)

    There is nothing like "contradicting the manga" in this case so I would like to know everybody's opinions about this matter.
    lol and Luffy only survived Mohji's attack because of "the devil's luck" lolz
    Funny how Mohji said the same thing as Doflamingo.

    Bad guys say things like this. If we listened to everything bad guys say, Luffy and Coby would have died at the end of chapter two. Nobody survives the iron mace

    ---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Hachibukai View Post
    You may think that this is a moot argument, but there is people claiming such things like "Saying that she won by luck is contradicting the manga" only because Sabo said so and not taking into account that Donflamingo saw everything too and said that she was lucky.
    If we took into account everything villains say, the manga would have ended ages ago, Luffy would have lost to every villain in the series, returned to Windmill Village, and cried himself to sleep wondering what might have been.

    Sabo said it was skill not luck. She was shown anticipating his attack, and dodging the blow. All of the other combatants took direct hits, unable to avoid Hakuba's attack. It doesn't matter if she would have beat Cavendish one on one, she never had the chance. It is a moot point, contradictory to events and statements in the manga, and most like irrelevant to future plot developments.

    ---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

    If we have to speculate about something that has already happened, wouldn't it be more correct to say Rebecca was a little unlucky? If she had dodged a second earlier, she might have avoided his sword altogether, and never even been knocked down.

  7. #6
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Age
    19
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rebecca won her block with skill or luck or both?

    Quote Originally Posted by sameel View Post
    I think it was pure skill that she dodged that attack by hakuba. Some people say that the helmet saved her. Well lets say she didnt have the helmet on. She might have been able to move her head more because of less weight. So she would still survive the attack.

    However, if hakuba didnt fall asleep, i dont really know if rebecca would be able to survive. So its both skill (dodged first attack) and luck (hakuba fell asleep).
    Well, then let's say she would have to carry her head in both of her palms as it would be split in two halves. She was fast enough to notice of Hakuba's movements, however, even though she moved to avoid it, Hakuba was still fast enough to lay a hit on her. If she had not had the helmet, she would have been done for.

  8. #7
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    516
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rebecca won her block with skill or luck or both?

    It was definitely skill that allowed Rebecca to react to Hacuba's movements; this was something very few people in and out of that ring was able to do. It was also because of this skill of hers (with the added luck that she happened to be wearing a helmet) that she got out of the ring alive. However, as Bastille says, Hacuba's "predisposition to fall back asleep after appearing, though... is quite unsuitable for a contest style match."

    Maybe it was Cavendish's bad luck or Rebecca's good luck... but as things turned out, no-one can plausibly deny that a large part of the reason why Rebecca was able to win the block was because Cavendish was out of order after all the other contestants were knocked out. The other part of the reason being that she was able to survive the initial attack. For example, even if Rebecca stood up after what happened, if Cavendish didn't stay asleep (either as Cavendish or Hacuba), chances are she might not have won.

    Basically, the extent of her skill gave her the ability to outlast the other contestants who were knocked out (except Cavendish) and the fact that Cavendish took a nap laying down was her luck.

  9. #8
    Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    United States
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26,984
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rebecca won her block with skill or luck or both?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anduren View Post
    Maybe it was Cavendish's bad luck or Rebecca's good luck... but as things turned out, no-one can plausibly deny that a large part of the reason why Rebecca was able to win the block was because Cavendish was out of order after all the other contestants were knocked out. The other part of the reason being that she was able to survive the initial attack. For example, even if Rebecca stood up after what happened, if Cavendish didn't stay asleep (either as Cavendish or Hacuba), chances are she might not have won.
    But he did fall asleep, and Bastille did say that Cavendish was unsuited for this type of fight. How can Cavendish's flaws reflect poorly on Rebecca?

    If Cavendish did not fall asleep, the fight would have continued. Except that he did fall asleep, so the fight ended. How can she be judged based on something that will never happen. We don't know what would have happened if the fight continued. It ended and will never resume. The only thing that actually matters is that he was aiming to slice her open, but she dodged in time for the blow to glance off her helmet, knocking her down, but not out.
    Last edited by Kaiten; January 27, 2014 at 04:46 PM.

  10. #9
    MangaHelper 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Syphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Country
    Australia
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    342
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rebecca won her block with skill or luck or both?

    I still can't believe people are relying on the fact that Rebecca had her helmet to support any claim of "luck" she apparently had for surviving Cavendish's/Hakuba's attack. If Rebecca was lucky to have her helmet during the D Block battle, Cavendish/Hakuba was lucky to have his sword, Durandal, during the D Block battle.

    Like seriously, people were allowed to bring equipment into the D Block before they entered the arena, given it did comply with the weight restriction and their weapon wasn't a firearm. Rebecca throughout the battles she fought most likely always wore her helmet because it matched the image of Kyros the statue was based around and as we all know Rebecca admires the legendary Kyros a lot.

    Cavendish/Hakuba hit Rebecca's helmet because he wasn't fast enough to adjust his attack to hit anywhere else. The speed Rebecca and Cavendish/Hakuba have are seemingly close but due to Rebecca sensing the attack and moving her body in a position that forced Cavendish/Hakuba to hit her helmet which allowed her to in a sense parry his attack, it is Rebecca that seems to be the faster of the two. Cavendish/Hakuba wouldn't aim for Rebecca's helmet as his point/mark of attack, he hit the other contestants in their chest/stomach region, the only contestant which he failed to do so on was Rebecca was, who sensed his attacked, moved her body and used her helmet to parry his blow to negate the damage she would receive. The fact that Rebecca sensed she wouldn't completely evade Cavendish's/Hakuba's attack fully due to his speed closely matching her own and chose instead to use her helmet to parry it suggest that she is a VERY capable and adept fighter/gladiator - as illustrated by Sabo saying she saw through Cavendish's/Hakuba's attack.

    And as for the "fortunate" circumstance surrounding Cavendish/Hakuba falling asleep, well things happen like this in One Piece, it was Cavendish's/Hakuba's own fault for relying on an unstable ability during such a tournament. Until we know the exact mechanics behind how Hakuba is unleashed and disappears, we cannot conclude that it was only Rebecca's "luck" that she had won the D Block. But even if it was the fortunate circumstances surrounding Rebecca which led her to victory, this wouldn't be new to One Piece.

    Luffy beat Crocodile because of the fortunate circumstances surrounding his first two defeats at Crocodile's hand. Luffy defeated Enel because of the fortunate circumstances surrounding his body composition. Luffy survived Lucci's attacks and was able to escape as the victor because of the fortunate circumstances surrounding the Going Merry's appearance. Luffy beat Moriah because of the fortunate circumstances surrounding the shadows Moriah captured. Luffy survived Magellan's poison because of the fortunate circumstances surrounding who he met. Luffy survived Marineford because of the fortunate circumstances of other characters protecting him (including his own brother). Luffy survived Hyouzou's and Caesar Clown's poison because of the fortunate circumstances surrounding his immunity to poison thanks to Magellan. And Luffy is going to defeat Doflamingo because of the fortunate circumstances surrounding Doflamingo pretty much screwing himself over with his arrogance and overconfidence.

    Fortune or "luck" is an integral part to how battles are determined in One Piece. Rebecca winning because she was fortunate the circumstances were in her favour shouldn't come as surprise and shouldn't take anything away from her victory.

  11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  12. #10
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Spam286's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rebecca won her block with skill or luck or both?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hachibukai View Post
    We also know that she doesn't hurt her enemies (http://www.batoto.net/read/_/201064/..._powermanga/12), just like an Aikido user.
    Would she have been able to defeat any of the big shots without hurting them? I don't think so because in order to win but produce no harm you must be truly above your opponents, just like when Luffy was eating and stopped Rebecca, or like when she was doing her "dance of swords" throwing the normal gladiators into the water. She is above everybody in that block in speed and probably CoO (except Cavendish) but we don't know about stamina/strenght ect.

    It was thanks to Hakuba that all the participants there where tested in her best field (speed and CoO) [Luck] in which she clearly won [Skill] because her training.

    You may think that this is a moot argument, but there is people claiming such things like "Saying that she won by luck is contradicting the manga" only because Sabo said so and not taking into account that Donflamingo saw everything too and said that she was lucky.
    Uh, you say 'we don't know about stamina/strength etc.' which ought to mean that you don't know if she would have won or not, but instead you say you don't think she would have. Based on what? If you don't know if she had what it took to win, then you don't know if she would have won. Unless you can produce some pretty solid evidence that she would have been unable to win the block without Hakuba, the argument does indeed remain moot.

    It's also worth noting that aside from Rebecca, all the other people Hakuba took out went down to body blows. I doubt it's a coincidence that Rebecca was the only one to take a glancing head shot when her head was the only part of her body with any significant armour. I mean, you might call it luck, unless there were two panels showing Rebecca noticing and reacting to Hakuba, and another of Sabo noting the fact.

  13. #11
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Country
    Venezuela
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rebecca won her block with skill or luck or both?

    She would have not won based on her style, if she changes styles now against Diamante and start hurting people (because he is working under DD and pacifism my be turned off) the things may change.

  14. #12
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    516
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rebecca won her block with skill or luck or both?

    First of all...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    But he did fall asleep, and Bastille did say that Cavendish was unsuited for this type of fight. How can Cavendish's flaws reflect poorly on Rebecca?
    It doesn't reflect poorly on Rebecca. It just goes to show that she was lucky that he didn't stand up to continue the fight when she was barely able to stand up with her sword as a crutch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    If Cavendish did not fall asleep, the fight would have continued. Except that he did fall asleep, so the fight ended. How can she be judged based on something that will never happen. We don't know what would have happened if the fight continued. It ended and will never resume. The only thing that actually matters is that he was aiming to slice her open, but she dodged in time for the blow to glance off her helmet, knocking her down, but not out.
    Aren't you the one judging the fight based on what didn't happen? The kind of argument you're using with that bolded statement is really weak (strawman argument). I was pointing out that after the whirlwind, everybody was down. But out of all of those "everybody" only two people were not knocked out. One being Cavendish (he was just sleeping and had taken no damage whatsoever) and Rebecca (who barely got back up because she had a sword to use as a crutch). This actually DID happen in the manga, so there's no need to speculate on how she could've won if Cavendish didn't happen to be sleeping. As far as I know, Cavendish remaining asleep had nothing to do with Rebecca's skill or any ability she used. She won the round based on a technicality having survived the initial attack. It's as simple as that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    I still can't believe people are relying on the fact that Rebecca had her helmet to support any claim of "luck" she apparently had for surviving Cavendish's/Hakuba's attack. If Rebecca was lucky to have her helmet during the D Block battle, Cavendish/Hakuba was lucky to have his sword, Durandal, during the D Block battle.
    I think you completely missed the point there. That or I'm simply not seeing what you're getting at. Her having the helmet wasn't any sign of luck by itself. Only that when Hacuba attacked, even with her skill, reaction and response, the attack hit her head and knocked her helmet off and her to the ground. She is shown bleeding in the head when she gets back up. If you want to assume that even if she wasn't wearing the helmet she would've been able to parry and survive that attack then that's a different argument altogether. But its not an unreasonable assumption to think that the helmet kept Durandal from causing a serious wound to her head.

    Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    Cavendish/Hakuba hit Rebecca's helmet because he wasn't fast enough to adjust his attack to hit anywhere else. The speed Rebecca and Cavendish/Hakuba have are seemingly close but due to Rebecca sensing the attack and moving her body in a position that forced Cavendish/Hakuba to hit her helmet which allowed her to in a sense parry his attack, it is Rebecca that seems to be the faster of the two. Cavendish/Hakuba wouldn't aim for Rebecca's helmet as his point/mark of attack, he hit the other contestants in their chest/stomach region, the only contestant which he failed to do so on was Rebecca was, who sensed his attacked, moved her body and used her helmet to parry his blow to negate the damage she would receive. The fact that Rebecca sensed she wouldn't completely evade Cavendish's/Hakuba's attack fully due to his speed closely matching her own and chose instead to use her helmet to parry it suggest that she is a VERY capable and adept fighter/gladiator - as illustrated by Sabo saying she saw through Cavendish's/Hakuba's attack.
    This may very well be what happened, but I didn't see such an elaborate scheme. The way I saw it, Rebecca was observing what happened to Cavendish (in her tiny flashback) and was trying to make sense of what was going on with him. When she noticed him moving to attack her she positioned herself to defend and was knocked off (or parried with her sword and the attack ricocheted off her helmet) This is skill enough to be praised by the likes of Sabo because almost nobody there was even able to see Hacuba's movements. In other words, she was quick enough to react but the attack itself was too powerful for her to repel or redirect like she usually does. On top of this, she made no retaliation against Hacuba in that incident. Whether you want to argue that she didn't want to or wasn't capable of retaliating is a different argument too.

    Spoiler show


    I agree with about everything you said here. I never said that having good luck takes away from a character's skill. In fact, good luck and being at the right time at the right place plays a huge role in One Piece as the mystery of the Will of D. It wasn't completely because of skill that Luffy survived the 1st half of the grand line. But from the passionate debates I've seen lately, it seems some people take it personally and feel greatly offended by the concept that Rebecca couldn't have won if anybody of the caliber of Cavendish also stood up at the same time she barely did; because she was wide open just like when all those contestants attacked Cavendish thinking he fell asleep.

  15. #13
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Spam286's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rebecca won her block with skill or luck or both?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hachibukai View Post
    She would have not won based on her style, if she changes styles now against Diamante and start hurting people (because he is working under DD and pacifism my be turned off) the things may change.
    Why do you keep claiming this based on no evidence? Why would she not have won based on her style? What is there to conclusively suggest that this is the case? Nothing.

  16. #14
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Country
    Tunisia
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rebecca won her block with skill or luck or both?

    In my opinion she was lucky, please try to understand my argument before answering me

    Rebecca avoided the attack with pure skill, as many said, she was the only one who noticed Hakuba and saw his attack, even so she couldn't avoided it entirely but she tried and were able to reduce it to not get knocked off, so at this point I give her credit as she wasn't lucky but still not fast enough to avoid the attack.

    Now, why do I insist on the fact that she was lucky, simply because if Hakuba didn't fall asleep I believe that she wouldn't have any chance to win the fight, he is very powerful for her so in the end of this Block it wasn't the strongest one who have won but Rebecca who was lucky that the circumstances played in her favor.

  17. #15
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Spam286's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Macclesfield
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rebecca won her block with skill or luck or both?

    Quote Originally Posted by amizou View Post
    In my opinion she was lucky, please try to understand my argument before answering me

    Rebecca avoided the attack with pure skill, as many said, she was the only one who noticed Hakuba and saw his attack, even so she couldn't avoided it entirely but she tried and were able to reduce it to not get knocked off, so at this point I give her credit as she wasn't lucky but still not fast enough to avoid the attack.

    Now, why do I insist on the fact that she was lucky, simply because if Hakuba didn't fall asleep I believe that she wouldn't have any chance to win the fight, he is very powerful for her so in the end of this Block it wasn't the strongest one who have won but Rebecca who was lucky that the circumstances played in her favor.
    Out of interest, do you believe Bartolomeo won his block by luck?

    It comes down to how you view the advent of Hakuba. Is he a character in his own right or a glorified technique of Cavendish's? Does his appearance come with stipulations? Does he hit everyone in range once, or does he have a specific time-limit, or did he actively choose to go back to sleep when he did? And was that because he thought he'd taken everybody out or was it because he was bored?

    If you see him as a character unto himself with no real stipulations except his own will, then Rebecca was probably lucky he chose to go back to sleep when he did. If his appearance is more like a technique and has caveats, either a time-limit or a one-hit-per-person thing, then luck doesn't really factor into it. Rebecca just avoided the attack like no one else did. Without knowing for sure it's sort of impossible to say either way.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts