Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Awesome Oda Foreshadowing/Recurring Phrases/Images, share!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BurnSchulz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Awesome Oda Foreshadowing/Recurring Phrases/Images, share!

As we all know there are many of rogers ex pirates on the seas.
    After i saw this:
    Spoiler show

I first noticed the Hat. It looks like the one Little Oz Jr. had on his head.
    And as we know Ace made this Hat für Little Oz on Wa no Kuni.

So i guess this could be a foreshadowing of a Character wich will introduced on Wa no Kuni.
    And because he is freinds with Krokus, wich as we all know was 3 years on rogers ship, he could be part of Rogers ex crewmates.

Additional i want to say that i have a clue wich one of Rogers old crewmates it might be.

Because of the Buggy / Shanks flashback we knew that Rayleigh was very detailed in character:
    Spoiler show

So and the other very detailed person i noticed, wich is unknown til now is on this page:
    Spoiler show

The Person in the top left panel with the sunglasses.

So its a tiny clue, but i am sure that this person will be introduced sooner or later.
    Even if its not the person from the Coverstory.
    I guess the informations from the Buggy / Shanks flashback are foreshadowning enough on its own.
    On this page are other crewmates:
    Spoiler show

I think someday there will be a huge Roger Flashback for sure. But we will see some of theese crewmates alive just like Rayleigh.

/sorry just corrected the picture tags
    Last edited by BurnSchulz; May 24, 2012 at 09:09 AM.

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a little additional information: That ave wielding guy was named Scopper Gaban in the Deep Blue data book, unlike Bronze as some[me included] have suggested after Silvers Rayleigh was introduced, following his schema of precious metals[Gold.D. Roger].Also he was discussed to be the person on the 631 cover, as all of the Roger Pirates had to retreat somehow or make a name for themself. I don't think there's a need for more named characters in that pirate crew with two[Shanks & Buggy] already being big support chracters; one having played a role at the Mugiwaras entrance to the Grandline; one starting the Pirate Age and Silvers preparing Luffy for the last part of the story.
    Last edited by Schabrak; May 24, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

4. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah ok. I dont have access to the Deep Blue databook. Scopper Gaban makes Sense though.

Its ok when they dont introduce too much of rogers Crewmates. But to know the story behind Gold Roger will be interesting for sure.
    Very very sure. And i want to know it

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Why did I never notice it... Law is most likely desgined after Mystery, the PUA. The similarities are just to big, the beard, the hat, the rings, his facial features.

Twitter - Firm but Fair

7. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Mad_Scientist's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

When Luffy said the reason why Chopper joined their crew:

http://www.mangareader.net/103-2261-...apter-154.html

As you can see Chopper indeed have 7 different transformations:

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Hito_...ransformations
    Life is not the amount of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

So, Dogura taught Luffy math well enough to add 3 and 4.

Chopper revealed in his fight against Chessmarimo that he'd be able to transform into 3 different "standard" and 4 additional "rumble ball" forms. So Luffy actually was listening to him.

Chopper had some of his transformations modified by him, so they turn out different, and he doesn't need Rumble Balls in most cases.
    • Brain Point -> Brain Point
    • Walking Point -> Walking Point
    • Guard Point -> Guard Point (boosted with Rumble Ball)
    • Arm Point -> Kungfu Point
    • Horn Point -> Horn Point/Horn Cannon (improved Form)
    • Jumping Point -> ? (yet unrevealed, likely the one he still needs the Rumble Ball for)
    • Monster (out of control) -> Monster (controlled)

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist View Post
    When Luffy said the reason why Chopper joined their crew:

http://www.mangareader.net/103-2261-...apter-154.html

As you can see Chopper indeed have 7 different transformations:

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Hito_...ransformations
    He had 7 forms before timeskip already.

(Note: theese were the names of the german version)

With the Rumble Ball his basic 3 Forms were powered up:

His normal (little) form was Double Brainpower (Brain Point)
    Spoiler show

His human Form was double weight power (heavy Point)
    Spoiler show

His Reindeer form was double sprint (walk point)
    Spoiler show

And he reached 4 all-new forms:

Double arm strenght.
    Spoiler show

Double Plüsch. (Guard Point)
    Spoiler show

Double Hornpower (Horn Point)
    Spoiler show

And Double Jumppower (Jumping Point)
    Spoiler show

7 in total.

As i see now, hoeru answered already with basicly the same info (I should have refreshed earlier lol, had the tab open and then i was busy doing other stuff before i came back to finish the answer xD)
    Last edited by BurnSchulz; May 29, 2012 at 08:33 AM.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW: "Double Plüsch" and "Double Jumppower" etc. are the German childish but still official translation name changes to gain more younger readers. 4kids syndrome

I hate them.

Everyone is happy with the translator switch from volume 38 on here - even though Crocodile is much younger in the German version (25 instead of 46).

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    [*]Jumping Point -> ? (yet unrevealed, likely the one he still needs the Rumble Ball for)
    Actually the one who needs the Rumble Ball is Monster Point. Oda made mistake which He revised it later in one SBS if I'm not mistaken.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Actually the one who needs the Rumble Ball is Monster Point. Oda made mistake which He revised it later in one SBS if I'm not mistaken.
    It was only a Rumble Ball Candy to be accurate.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Could Oda's inspiration for the Impel Down structure be Toriyama's Muscle Tower from Dragon Ball's Red Ribon Army? Both have six levels and a half. o_O

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Could Oda's inspiration for the Impel Down structure be Toriyama's Muscle Tower from Dragon Ball's Red Ribon Army? Both have six levels and a half. o_O
    I'm pretty sure i read that as a Fact somewhere... but i dont remember where it was though i have no source to this..
    I'm sorry :/
    BTW: "Double Plüsch" and "Double Jumppower" etc. are the German childish but still official translation name changes to gain more younger readers. 4kids syndrome

I hate them.
    I'm Fine with the Names "Double Plüsch" etc. They make sense to me.

But what would you think would be the better "Translation" for the German readers?
    "Guard Point" etc. - Are theese even accurate Translations from the Japanese versions?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kokuryuu's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that Oda got inspiration from Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy, with all the levels thing and particular punishments in each of them.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BurnSchulz View Post
    I'm Fine with the Names "Double Plüsch" etc. They make sense to me.

But what would you think would be the better "Translation" for the German readers?
    "Guard Point" etc. - Are theese even accurate Translations from the Japanese versions?
    Yes, in japanese version all of his forms has the english names we know(Walk, Brain, Heavy, Jumping, Arm, Guard, Kung Fu, Horn and Monster Point)

Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BurnSchulz View Post
    "Guard Point" etc. are the Japanese Names by Oda.

IMHO, attack names shouldn't be renamed (in any work) - mixing them up or giving one attack two different "new" names is preprogrammed then. And the only reason to do such things is censorship and trying to attract a different audience. Translations would be okay if they are adequat and correct, but in OP's case I prefer no translation at all since Oda creates the attack names based on different languages, so they are a part of a character's composition.

It happened with several of Luffy's attacks, e.g. Gomu Gomu no Ono is Gum-Gum-Bombe ("bomb"), -Keule ("mace") and -Dampframme ("steam pile driver") - "Axt"/"Streitaxt" ("axe"/"battleaxe") would have been correct instead. Sanji's and Nami's attack names were also replaced by filler text like in the first 30 volumes iirc. And all of Zoro's attacks were renamed to that stupid "Monster Strike".

To me, those "double ***" names don't make actually that much sense since they are misleading. The rumble balls don't "double" anything at all but only modify the transformation ability of the Hito Hito no Mi.

I mean, until Volume 38 as German, I paid the double price for the manga just to receive a revised version which didn't even pass a simple examination compared to the original with an online translation tool. :/

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well my first Contact with One Piece was in slightly before it started first time on German TV. So Around 2001.

I Thought Monster Strike is absolutely awesome! I was even a little bit dissapointed that they didnt use that term in the first episodes while they used it in the Manga volumes.
    Luffy has a silly personality. He thinks very straight and that way he name his attacks directly the way he thinks of them.
    He wanted a punch as hard as a Pistol so he named his attack after a Pistol. In germany its "Pistole".
    And seriously, it would have been super awkward when Luffy, who is in the German version obviously German-speaking would name his attacks in half japanese half english language.
    I was, and i still am, absolutely fine with the German translation of his attacks. He is speaking German Language, so he name his attacks german. It fits his personality very well.

But at the point with the misleading of choppers attacks i have to agree with you. You´re right that nothing is "doubled". But as "Plüsch" you can describe his fur. And "Arm-Strenght" indicates that he has more power in his arms. - So besides that "double"-thing the names make sense and are just adjusted to the german readers. For most people it is very strange when characters, wich speak perfektly german (in the german version) suddenly use perfect japanese words for their attacks. English is a good compromise though.
    I personally dont understand why you think they renamed Choppers attacks a bit for "Censorship" or "to gain more young readers"...
    It wont work that way.. no Kid wich is not intereted in one piece will suddenly be interested because an attack is named in a special way.
    And Censorship is a little bit too far fetched, dont you think so? They just tried to come up with names wich would fit even in the german version.
    In Most cases they made a good job i think.
    But to be honest in some cases i was kind of dissapointed though.
    I am also at some points dissapointed that they didnt use Sanjis attack names...

22. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast