Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 589 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Awesome Oda Foreshadowing/Recurring Phrases/Images, share!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Awesome Oda Foreshadowing/Recurring Phrases/Images, share!

Well, but if it's just an attack - why then change the name? There's absolutely no need for renaming such things like names, and still it is done just to do a revision. Especialy anglicism creations are meant to sound cool and fashionable in German (even if Oda used non japanese names there's no reason to create a new english name for it). And that is censorship for me. It's not different from repainting bikinis to swimsuits, putting black bars over naked breasts and peeping out "bad words" - in case of renamings it's an unnecessary change of the original work. The author had an intention to use that name, and the reader isn't allowed to even know that the original name exists.

About the Monster Strike. I saw OP first on TV and was hyped when Zoro used Monster Strike for the first time - but then I soon got disappointed over the fact that Luffy uses different names for his attacks while Zoro turned out to be kinda "uncreative" yelling "Monster Strike!!!" all the time which let to eight different Monster Strikes... It got dull already, so everytime Zoro draw his swords you could say "Oh, that's another Monster Strike..." And then I learned through OPwiki that they actually had different names and partially were based on puns linked to the Japanese culture.

I was quite "disappointed" when I learned that I didn't get what I paid for... official translations done by professionals should be accurate and adequate because they got paid for.

---------- Post added June 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was June 01, 2012 at 02:47 PM ----------

To get back on trail:

Luffy evading CC's second Gastanet and appearing right behind him is a reuse of a part of Luffy's fight against Wapol in chapter 151... Wapol's cannon attacks point blank, and hits Luffy who appears right behind Wapol.
    Last edited by hoeru; June 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM.

2. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny that nobody pointed out that Smiley looked like axolotl since his practically first appearance:

Spoiler show

He looks almost same there as here:

Spoiler show

Oda suggested readers answer what Slime/Smiley really Was really long time ago.

fixed your second link as it was the same as it was the same page. Also linked the images directly for better comparison. ~♪ goldb
    Last edited by goldb; July 15, 2012 at 05:03 AM.

4. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Two finds, hopefully not mentioned ones.

Since we didn't knew that Coby's captain was Garp, this may have been the first hint of in Garp and Luffy being same minded. I'm still not sure which is the right despriction of those two. haha

Also Aokiji mentioned Water Seven two arcchapters before the Mugiwaras got there, also mentioned that it's near Marine HQ/Marineford.

edit: What did I look at... Saw a strange figure, must have thought of the apes near Java, should have turned one more page. :P
    Last edited by Schabrak; July 26, 2012 at 11:57 PM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Franky is now five meters tall as Luffy wanted him to be.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    I wonder if Franky is now five meters tall as Luffy wanted him to be.
    his height hasn't increased much in the timeskip

he merely added weapons to his arsenal, he didn't modify his body itself much it seems

his robot, however, seems to be exactly 5m tall

franky now, possibly:

---------- Post added August 24, 2012 at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was August 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond87 View Post
    Funny that nobody pointed out that Smiley looked like axolotl since his practically first appearance:

Spoiler show

He looks almost same there as here:

Spoiler show

Oda suggested readers answer what Slime/Smiley really Was really long time ago.

fixed your second link as it was the same as it was the same page. Also linked the images directly for better comparison. ~♪ goldb
    dude, you only think it is in hindsight

real axolotls do not look like that. they do not have fat little tendrils behind their heads. they have gills.. fuzzy little things that absorb oxygen, not flesh lumps

it would have been a very uncertain guess with what we were given at that time

shoulda, woulda, coulda. this isn't foreshadowing as well, it's an explicit revelation, just not explained yet
    Last edited by hyper_megaman; August 23, 2012 at 10:53 PM.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_megaman View Post

he merely added weapons to his arsenal, he didn't modify his body itself much it seems

Before the timeskip, Franky was about as tall as Robin. After the timeskip, he's become taller than her. I'm not saying that he now is 5m tall, as he isn't compared to Kuma who is 6.89m - but I was wondering if or how close he is now to Luffy's "wish"...

Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_megaman View Post

franky now, possibly:

---------- Post added August 24, 2012 at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was August 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM ----------

dude, you only think it is in hindsight

real axolotls do not look like that. they do not have fat little tendrils behind their heads. they have gills.. fuzzy little things that absorb oxygen, not flesh lumps

it would have been a very uncertain guess with what we were given at that time

shoulda, woulda, coulda. this isn't foreshadowing as well, it's an explicit revelation, just not explained yet
    Actually according to Deep Blue Franky is now 2.4 meters tall (pre-TS he was 2.25 meters tall).

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Alvida and Buggy are the first pirates in OP to be shown making a Pirate alliance
    Chapter 329, page 18..................

Just EPIC

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

well let me add on to this:

this is a repeat of what i posted a year earlier

methinks the fact that the shoulder width of the current franky form fits the old franky's upper arm length is uncanny. it could be foreshadowing of:

also franky frequently stated his old body's weakness was he couldn't modify the back

i think it's a perfect explanation. Franky built the exosuit upgrade/extension, then attached himself to it as per the picture. he never really modified himself substantially during the timeskip, merely adding on this new exosuit to his old body.

at a final fight, when his new exosuit parts are damaged heavily, he could just eject both forearms and pull his fists back in place, eject from the suit by bursting out the stitches and splitting the two shoulder balls. much like the iron man armour ejects from the hulkbuster exosuit addon

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member SHeeDeD's Avatar
    Country
    Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

i dodnt know if some mentioned this....Luffy shirt has a skull and there is a cross on it like what luffy has right now which has been done by Akino. unless this pic has not been done by Oda.
    Last edited by SHeeDeD; September 16, 2012 at 05:31 AM.

Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SHeeDeD View Post
    i dodnt know if some mentioned this....Luffy shirt has a skull and unnecessary cross on it like what luffy has right now which has been done by Akino. unless this pic has not been done by Oda.
    That is no "unnecessary cross" - it's part of the Kanji 凶 (read "kyou") which translates to "misfortune". The picture is a standard colorspread by Oda, which was published first in the double issue 37-38 of the year 2003 and reprinted in Color Walk 4 EAGLE.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member SHeeDeD's Avatar
    Country
    Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

the second guitar which Sunji is not holding has a skull and some bones on it which makes it our brook saaaaaan Yohhohohoho +whale+singer. I hope no1 mentioned this otherwise it will be repetitive.

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    That is no "unnecessary cross" - it's part of the Kanji 凶 (read "kyou") which translates to "misfortune". The picture is a standard colorspread by Oda, which was published first in the double issue 37-38 of the year 2003 and reprinted in Color Walk 4 EAGLE.
    u are missing the point if u dont like the word unnecessary just delete it. u know what ill.

u are asking me about something. aad ill respond to u by a msg coz i dont want this to be chat.
    Last edited by SHeeDeD; September 16, 2012 at 06:30 AM.

Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SHeeDeD View Post
    u are missing the point if u dont like the word unnecessary just delete it. u know what ill
    See... You were even doubting whether or not the image came from Oda. So I provided background information. No need to be upset at all.

BTW, what means "u know what ill"?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

well havent read every1s comments but,

at the start of the Fishman island zoro makes a joke about always wanting to have a fire sword,

and in this arc he might get his wish in a different way.

though this could be a difference in translation, these are from mangastream and binkotopia
    Last edited by cearon; September 20, 2012 at 01:56 PM.

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Oda really likes to have his characters getting bitten into the left shoulder, doesn't he?

Chapter 91: Luffy bites Arlong

Chapter 422: Lucci bites Luffy

Chapter 641: Hody bites Luffy

And every time into the left shoulder... ö_O

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast