Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Bakuman Vol 17 (ch143-ch151) Discussion

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Bakuman Bakuman Vol 17 (ch143-ch151) Discussion

This is where you can post all the spoilers for the next chapter of Bakuman.!

And remember: NO SPAM, NO FLAME, AND NO SPOILERS OUTSIDE THE SPOILER THREADS. Please respect those that don't want to be spoiled. Thanks.

* Please do not post babelfish/google translations.
    For the most part they are just confusing and wrong. So feel free to do them for your own benefit, but don't post them here.

* Spoiler sources must be publicly open.
    Links to sources where registration is mandatory are not allowed. You may, however, copy and paste or post images from such a source using the format shown below.

* Please post your spoilers in a synoptic manner.

Spoiler: Making a spoiler post synoptic show

* Please do not image tag the complete chapter
    It is okay to image tag some pages of the chapter. Keep it at a minimum (3 pages at most), as soon as you have more: direct link it. The spoiler thread isn't meant to host a scanlation.

* Please discuss the spoilers in this thread and post here when a chapter is out
    Please do not create a new thread for discussion of the chapter - continue the discussion/predictions in this thread itself.

You can discuss the current chapter here and find translations here.
    Last edited by Charlie; August 06, 2011 at 09:02 PM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Naruto Sennin87; August 03, 2011 at 04:29 AM.

3. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bakuman 143 Spoiler Thread

Nanamine again... This is getting a little bit annoying, he still hasn't learned his lesson ?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I definitely saw that one coming. I'm glad Nana isn't going to be a one-time villain, but hasn't he already learned his lesson? He is such an idiot. I hope we get some more axe murderer faces from him, though.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad my initial reaction from the polka dots was right

That's interesting that Nanamine's father is rich, makes you wonder why he bothered being a pizza delivery boy. I also wondered about all the debt he must have accumulated from renting the fancy apartment and the assistant salaries. Guess he had his father footing the bill for him.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

This just makes me feel disappointed. I mean, Nanamine didn't even really work as a villain the first time. He just went against everything WSJ stood for, but he wasn't interesting, and for all the characters in the manga exclaim over an in-universe manga, his mangas were just boring.

Panty Flash Fight was just boring and disturbing at the same time.

This return just makes the Editors look like idiots. I mean, the fact that they're buying into these stories is less than convincing.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member brebaz's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm going to put Bakuman on Hold for 3-4 moths to see where it's actually going!

It was interesting till the last 4-5 chapter they felt empty even before that too but, it was a lot better than what it is becoming now.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

spoiler translation
    - 8 months ago, Nanamine tells his father he knows what he wants to do; become the number 1 mangaka in Weekly Shounen Jump.

- Mashiro and Takagi have a mild heated discussion about whether it's right or wrong (about the old mangaka thing), and it hilariously ends with Takagi going "you know what, why don't we just wait until Hattori-san gets here and ask him questions" to which Mashiro replies "yeah you're right, let's get back to work.."

- Yuujiro pops over to Eiji's place to see if he has any new manga ideas. Yuujiro asks if there's any recent battle manga that he thinks is really interesting. Eiji says "Panty Flash Fight", but also says he wants to know who the writer is. Yuujiro says it's only one person, but Eiji is adamant that Azuma isn't the one that came up with the story. This puzzles Yuujiro.

- Wow. Nanamine has pulled out all the stops this time. He's created a sort of....manga-creation company. He's got a 16-member team all working together as writers in one storey. And in another he's got a bunch of people (invited by email, so I assume they're all netizens) whose sole job is giving criticism (who also vote back on their own stuff too such as Panty Flash, etc). And they're also under contract to not disclose the place and paid too.

- After Azuma's meeting, Yuujiro asks Hattori to have coffee with him. They discuss about Eiji's comment, about Azuma's oddity in creating a good story, the strange influx of old mangaka one-shots, etc. In other words, those two are suspicious, Hattori even thinks there's a mysterious amazing writer helping them all, but then thinks maybe they're all just helping each other to up their game and then try once more in Jump. Yuujiro leaves Hattori saying Eiji also says recycling mangakas is good and throwing mangakas away is bad.

- Chapter ends with Nanamine's secretary/assistant bringing up manuscripts to Nanamine's office and wondering if he should start drawing manga again too now that it's so easy. Nanamine doesn't really care, he has his eyes set on WSJ and Ashirogi Muto.

Take away points:

- Nanamine is the son of a wealthy man.

- Nanamine has created a system where writers churn out manuscripts, which gets viewed by his critics department, which goes back to the writers to improve. His critics can read all the manga they want, drink and eat all they want for free, get paid and are under contract. And everybody in the building votes back on their own work, this is how Azuma was able to reach #1 in the rankings on the one-shot.

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN...
    Last edited by Knifeshade; August 05, 2011 at 09:59 PM.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, he is so keen on creating a 'manga industry' in Japan, isn't he? ^____^;;;
    This reminds me of the States' model of comic book industry. A company employs writers, pencilers, inkers, and colorists, and they got assigned to projects, so the comic books are mainly not their individual work (it is 'owned' by the company). Correct me if it is inaccurate.
    Honestly, i prefer Japanese's model. The individual style shines more, plus mangakas got to own their works. Of course, the workload can be rather heavy sometimes.

My qualm with Nanamine's two methods is the secrecy. He depends on people he picked online to keep their mouth shut on their involvement. How much longer can he maintain that? Why can't he just set up a manga studio openly and legally? ^___^;;; why must he be so fixated on WSJ? why must he keep everything so...... underhanded? (these are all rhetorical questions)

----
    Oh by the way, mangakas sending their vote to their own works is not new. Yumi Hotta (Hikaru no Go's writer) herself admit in the omake that she voted for Hikaru no Go every week in during the first few weeks of its run. Hahahaha
    But of course, organizing people to mass vote a certain series like what Nanamine did can be considered... cheating.
    Last edited by R4n; August 06, 2011 at 12:02 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member masgrande's Avatar
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's good to see Nanamine learned from his past mistakes... in the most @$$ way possible.
    please click on them to help them grow.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

This is going no where, I think I'll stop reading Bakuman for now. Wasn't expecting to see the same thing again with Nanamine, it is the same thing that he already pulled last time, except some few changes.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Ohba seems to be using his own definition of a morally ambiguous villain with Nanamine, but it's not working. In PCP, Sigma has the whole mystery thing going for him. In Death Note, L was quirky and easy to like. Nana just likes to screw WSJ up for no reason, and his only redeeming trait (his bubbly personality) turned out to be a farce.

Why doesn't he just start his own magazine, if he's so rich (despite having to work as a pizza boy to afford living in Tokyo... whoops Ohba)?

Why is he relying on people over the internet... again!? He's almost as bad as Team Rocket. But at least Team Rocket started using rubber gloves after being electrocuted a couple dozen times. This looks like it's going to be a repeat of two arcs ago unless Ohba does something fast to make it more interesting. He already brought Nakai back, so that's no use. Maybe he'll bring back Koogy? Haha.

And one last comment. I dislike how older mangaka writing in WSJ is viewed as something wrong. I personally see nothing wrong with it, and I'm sure the fans of classic series are going to stop voting for this arc in the surveys out of protest (whoops Ohba). I also see nothing wrong with Nanamine cooperating with older mangaka and paid workers. Previously, I thought Nanamine taking ideas from 50 random, anonymous, unpaid, and uncredited people was wrong, but this kind of sounds like CLAMP or something. If he just came out and said "yeah, we're a manga creation group, so what?", no one would care. That's why this arc seems so weak.

17. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Attila's Avatar
    Country
    Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R4n View Post
    This reminds me of the States' model of comic book industry. A company employs writers, pencilers, inkers, and colorists, and they got assigned to projects, so the comic books are mainly not their individual work (it is 'owned' by the company).
    I think something this will happen. They create "awesome" mangas, then start a magazine, announcing they created them, causing WSJ reader loss, laughing for a few "days", then downfall.

New Reply
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast