Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 5

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

What is the ToC ranking?
    ToC stands for Table of Contents. It's found on the last page of every issue of WSJ, but more importantly, the order the series appear in on the ToC is closely related to the popularity of the series. This is determined by polling the readers; there is a polling postcard in every issue of WSJ.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanizer View Post
    Each week, a certain guy from 2ch writes out TOC for the following week's Jump. TOC order is usually based on polling result of readers, thus you will know how your favorite series are doing based on the order.

Some exceptions etc:
    - For the 2nd-8th chapters, TOC is already decided, though it could change depends on readers' ranking.
    - The TOC is affected by the popularity of 8 chapter ago.
    - Shueisha's aiming their main target as elementary and junior high school students, thus, their votes weigh probably more than others (fangirls).
    How can I find out what series runs in WSJ?
    Click HERE for a list of all the current series running in WSJ. Each link will lead you to more details about the manga, and where you can find translations for all your favourite series! You can also find past series in WSJ by changing the Status filters on that page.

WSJ Cover Collection

Where are the past WSJ threads?
    - Weekly Shounen Jump Scan Dump! [2007]
    - Weekly Shounen Jump (Shounen Mag by Shueisha) [Archive 2008 and older]
    - Weekly Shonen Jump [2009] - Discussion and TOC Talk
    - Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk
    - Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk
    - Weekly Shonen Jump [2012 - 2013] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Have fun!

Cover Orange - Lead Color Magenta - Center Color Blue - Oneshot Color Yellow - New Green - Finished Red
    Spoiler: TOC 2014 show
    Last edited by SharkBait; April 16, 2014 at 07:54 AM.

Now Sentient! 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member MangaHelpers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it really necessary a new action series when we already have many good series like that outside of Jump? Jump's line up is going better right now, better than before IMO, without new action series. If Illegal Rare and Stealth Symphone make success, it will be even less necessary.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member TXC's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 5

After naruto and bleach ending? if these new series flop sure it's needed. Having good action outside of jump doesn't help the WSJ editorial.
    Twitter Account: TiagoCostaX
    Team Nisekoi | Nisekoi Support Group | Stealth Symphony Support Group

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Leoat12 View Post
    Is it really necessary a new action series when we already have many good series like that outside of Jump? Jump's line up is going better right now, better than before IMO, without new action series. If Illegal Rare and Stealth Symphone make success, it will be even less necessary.
    But, some people expect lots of action series, especially in Jump. I think they think its current line-up is still not enough.

On the side note, it hasn't even been half of 2014, but we already have five threads now. That's fast.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Is it really necessary a new action series when we already have many good series like that outside of Jump? Jump's line up is going better right now, better than before IMO, without new action series. If Illegal Rare and Stealth Symphony make success, it will be even less necessary.
    Oh this is Illegal Rare's make or break week. Curious to see if it truly starts out strong on the success end.
    Team Haikyu! | Team Stealth Symphony | Stealth Symphony Support Group

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TXC View Post
    After naruto and bleach ending? if these new series flop sure it's needed. Having good action outside of jump doesn't help the WSJ editorial.
    We are talking about what we (readers) are thinking about WSJ lineup. What WSJ editoral thinks doesn't matter in the subject.

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

For the record I read 1 action series at the moment, and it's Stealth Symphony (and HxH but yeah..). Not even close to being the genre I enjoy the most, but after losing naruto there's a hole to fill or at least that's how I see it.

---------- Post added at 01:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

We are talking about what we (readers) are thinking about WSJ lineup. What WSJ editoral thinks doesn't matter in the subject.
    I ''reader'' have interests in such matters, or can't I?

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 AM ----------

I study Economics at university, have a bunch of management (and marketing) subjects to study... is only natural to think about what others need.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TXC View Post
    I ''reader'' have interests in such matters, or can't I?
    It is the same to say that you would like to read what the editors would like to publish. If the reader's mind worked that way, all series would make success.

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

It is the same to say that you would like to read what the editors would like to publish. If the reader's mind worked that way, all series would make success.
    As I said I don't have interest in that action series (unless is amazing, could be). I'm just commenting about what the line up will need, because in my opinion it will.

Here I'm giving my thoughts about the matter, if I'm ''obliged'' to go with the same train of thought as everyone else, there's no much point in participating.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member arsg's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a lot of room for action in the magazine right now. Reborn, Medaka and Beelzebub all ended in the past year or so, thinning out a lot of the competition. If a new hit action series is going to emerge, 2014 would be a good year for it.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arsg View Post
    There's a lot of room for action in the magazine right now. Reborn, Medaka and Beelzebub all ended in the past year or so, thinning out a lot of the competition. If a new hit action series is going to emerge, 2014 would be a good year for it.
    However, you have to know that the non-action series have successfully take over those spots (except for Beelzebub's spot); so, there really aren't much spots left for the next action series (unless another old series ends).

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arsg View Post
    I would say it is quite the opposite. The last successful, new action series were Mago and Toriko in 2008, six years ago now. Beelzebub and Medaka were more hybrids, but even if you count them as action manga, they still came out in 2009, five years ago. There has been nothing since. Five or six years is too long to attribute to competition with established titles. It looks like a market shift. The new generation of Jump hits reflect trends in other areas of Japanese popular culture. Assassination Classroom, Kurabas, Soma, Haikyuu, and Nisekoi all fit in well with anime and light novel trends. Bakuman, too, when it was serialized.
    Last edited by Kaiten; March 23, 2014 at 09:54 PM.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

After all those different successes I wonder if the reason for not having a new successful action series is just because of the magazine really doesn't have space, or if the tastes of Jump readers is changing and giving less importance for action series. Maybe quality should be included in the opitions, too? Honestly, action series has been kinda weak these days. I think we will only find out the answer when this "space" is given, when Naruto end.

Last edited by Akainu; Today at 06:47 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

After all those different successes I wonder if the reason for not having a new successful action series is just because of the magazine really doesn't have space, or if the tastes of Jump readers is changing and giving less importance for action series. Maybe quality should be included in the opitions, too?
    The main reason that the past action series failed is that they are not interesting enough.

New Reply
Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast