Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: Will the proposal be a success?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - GO HIRAMARU.

8 61.54%
  • No - REJECTED.

1 7.69%
  • No - He's got no ring. D:

1 7.69%
  • No - Ferris wheel is out of order (comedy option)

3 23.08%
New Reply
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Bakuman Vol. 18 (chapter 152 - chapter 160) Discussion

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kdowns's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bakuman 152 Discussion / 153 Predictions

He was an mangaka that came out with a Dark Series that battled against one of AM series and actually gave them competition in the Dark Manga Category.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member SK-Hao's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nizuma is still better there is no way they are going to get more votes than him.
    Devour this Manga

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Shizuka is one of my favorite side characters in Bakuman, and I do believe he was important, though perhaps not to the plot. Like Nakai, I feel Shizuka was a character readers could relate to, specifically in Japan. I rooted a lot for Nakai, because he was an older, overweight guy who lacked confidence who wanted a manga career and a girlfriend. I hoped he'd overcome the odds and become successful, but well....

I rooted for Shizuka for the same reasons. I think a lot of hikikomori types in Japan who read Jump could have been inspired by him, to try and become something beyond a recluse. He also fell into the trap of craving hostess attention and overcame it, but then we never saw him again. There was something in Charaman I believe that hinted Shizuka would eventually join Team Fukuda, but so far it hasn't happened.

Perhaps it was too much to hope that Shizuka would come out of his shell and become friends with the other mangaka, and for Nakai to overcome his vices and for Shiratori to stay on as a top mangaka when he didn't have much story experience. I think Bakuman is realistic in this sense but I always prefer happy endings.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

If Bakuman would be a Seinen, than RL-based characters like Nakai, Shizuka and Shiratori would have a chance. However not in the Shounen category. C'mon, the only reason Nanamine lost twice, wasn't because his method was bad, but because this is a Shounen and in Shounen manga, good always beats bad.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kdowns's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

That isn't nessicarilly true. Sometimes the bad guys beat the good guys.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Bakuman is far from realistic. It is an over the top caricature of Weekly Shounen Jump (and people related to it) with a lot of romantic and idealistic elements in it.

9. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    News Writer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Asahina's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweaty Re: Bakuman 152 Discussion / 153 Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by alphabeta View Post
    If Bakuman would be a Seinen, than RL-based characters like Nakai, Shizuka and Shiratori would have a chance. However not in the Shounen category. C'mon, the only reason Nanamine lost twice, wasn't because his method was bad, but because this is a Shounen and in Shounen manga, good always beats bad.
    I'm glad that this series is a shounen. Since it is a shounen, it is more capable of indulging more youngsters who would like to be authors/artists - to understand what they'd be getting themselves into if they would consider being a committed mangaka. Bakuman being a seinen would be less available/permissible to young readers. Sure, a youngster may still get his hands on a seinen, but the youngster percentage reading this would be low.

Allot of elements would also distract it. It wouldn't be as comedic as it is now if it were a seinen. Heck, maybe it would be even funnier - but I feel that nudity and a vulgar way of speaking would be much more controversial and affiliated with a seinen genre. The romance aspect would be inclusively detailed - which would deviate from what this story was supposed to be about. Topics on Lolicon, Hentai, Yoai, and Yuri - would be totally detailed and the main characters may secretly indulge themselves in those kinds of things just because the nature of a seinen permits them to.

Also, a seinen version of Bakuman may be very disrespectful towards real mangaka or editors - talking about the life problems or stating puns that may seem secretly offensive and vague enough to be allowed. They may also talk about how some 'foreign' (manhwa, manhua, US comics, etc.) are lame compared to manga.

I don't know if Bakuman being a seinen would be legendary or not, but I do know it would have less young readers. And there wouldn't have been an adaptational anime as quickly as we see it now.
    Last edited by Asahina; October 27, 2011 at 09:43 PM.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Tauros; October 30, 2011 at 09:22 AM.

13. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bakuman 153 Spoiler Thread

Well...

Spoiler show
    Last edited by FrostyMouse; October 28, 2011 at 03:59 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Ohba needs to stop trying to draw things out. The last arc was a disgrace, so he should be trying to make this arc exciting, not another slow, anti-climatic mess. I imagine that the next few chapters will be a direct repeat of what we've just been through. Sort of like the second Nanamine arc.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally we see the ashirogi overcome niizuma

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Well...

Spoiler show
    Spoiler show

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DecoyGun View Post
    Spoiler show
    Spoiler show

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

Anyways...

quick spoiler summary
    - Results are: Reversi 1st. PCP 4th. Reversi got 694 votes, beating out Eiji and claiming the new record for votes on a one-shot.

- Eiji gets depressed upon hearing the news, doesn't give Yujiro any serialization name.

- Ashirogi Muto wants to put Reversi up for serialization, Hattori doesn't know if they'll be allowed but he'll try his best.

- Heishi doesn't know what to do and asks Sasaki for "advice". (Aida and that other guy's all like, no, yes, no, yes)

- Reversi gets a monthly serializatoin in Hisshou Jump, whilst PCP remains its weekly serialization in WSJ.

- Eiji gets fired up after hearing the news, stomps on globe, saying "I was wrong, my goal isn't the world, IT'S ASHIROGI MUTO"

20. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member fizban's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting turn of events. If they're going to be published in a new magazine, that means they'll be working with another editor. They might have gotten a new one for Reversi anyways, given that Hattori already works on a number of projects. It does make sense to put this series in a new magazine. We've seen a few great series move from Jump to SQ in the last couple years. D-Gray Man, Prince of Tennis (as Shin), etc. Putting them in a place where they can do bigger chunks of story at once, without worrying about rankings every week, is the best thing for the duo. I wonder if this will be how they bring Koogy back into the picture. He went over to a monthly magazine and was never heard from again. I miss his vulgar manga Colorfusical.

I hated seeing Eiji acting so down this chapter. But whatever he pulls out next is going to be incredible, you can tell.

New Reply
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast