Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Thread Closed
Page 30 of 134 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 80 130 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011 - 2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Were the 3 weeklys, Jump, Sunday and Magazine always at the size that they are today?

Jump with 20 series, Magazine with +-30 series and Sunday with 25 or have there been some changes?

If so what would you guess is the reason for instance that Jump doesn't increase their series number to 24 or 25?

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

@Susanno:
    First of all I never realized that both Sunday and Magazine had that many series..
    According to wiki Sunday has 27, Magazine 28 and JUMP has 21.

I don't think JUMP should change its number of run series from 21 to 25 or something like that, its one of the few manga magazine which circulation has rose (If only a little bit) so as the saying says "If its not broken, don´t fix it".

My guess is that its due to JUMP policies of cutting the series that don´t rank too hot early on their run. That way they only get the very best (In the opinion of the TOC voters) continue to run on JUMP.

Maybe its Sunday and Magazine that should try to reduce the number of series and make more strict requirements for authors to publish or focus more on the votings?

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at it the lists I just remembered that Naruto's not getting any CPs anymore.Wonder why.

And lol at Togashi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newkerzy View Post
    So in other words, Kishi takes breaks when it's his birthday month?? spoiled brat

The reason I'm slightly ticked is because this year he used a really bad cliffhanger.....
    I hope that was a joke...

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josl View Post
    I don’t think Mangaka even like to do CP. I mean it is already hard enough to do 17-19 pages a week without CP which are really time consuming if you do them right.
    I have seen Kubo doing a Ichigo portrait in color in a very short amount of time. Does anyone have the Link to it?
    Mangaka are paid by the page, they are paid more money for color pages - so the more color pages an artist draw per year, the higher the salary. Mangaka want to do as many color pages a year as Shueisha will let them. Bleach gets more than other series because of how reliable Kubo is - he never takes break, submits every chapter on time, and always submits nice pages.

Bleach color pages are fantastic, other than Bleach hate I can't understand why anyone would dislike them. They are always well drawn, well composed, and creative. I think that Naruto and Sket Dance are the only current manga with better color pages.

Quote Originally Posted by R4n View Post
    i am late to the party but..

based on Kaiten and other people's explanation, that means the content of the magazine is leaked a week before the official release date. x__x;;
    Gee, if i were a WSJ staff i would be concerned. I heard they sent c&d order to raw providers, so i assume this is a big problem for them. But maybe scanlations don't pose much threat because i have an impression the majority of Japanese ppl don't understand English (i didn't mean offense to anyone here). And if i were a japanese i wouldn't like reading fan translation anyway (because they tend to be less accurate than the original).
    I wonder when do subscribers get their copies...
    Early raws present a real problem for Shueisha. At one point 60% of Mangahelpers traffic was from Japan, they were coming to read raws when Kylara or (later) Vic posted them on Friday. In the spring of 2010 Shueisha placed a blurb on the Jump TOC page essentially threatening raw providers, saying how annoyed they were in no uncertain terms. That is what prompted us to remove raws and prompted the closure of raw paradise. Mangastream does not release their raws publicly so non-English speakers have to wait until public raws are available, later in the week, but still earlier than available to the Japanese public. Scanlations are blamed for declining sales of licensed manga, which conveniently was not a problem until the economy crashed. Raws are the problem, and one that publishers are truly pissed off about, in the domestic Japanese market.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    Oda does that. He takes good enough breaks through out the years. It seems his breaks really became more present in 2010 with Strong World, though the number of breaks is more present after 2006 a year where he did not take a break.^^
    He always takes a break near the end of an arc, or right after. He's averaged about four or five weeks off a year since I started reading. He did take a two week break between the end of the War and beginning of Part II, something I don't recall him doing before. But I am not sure where the angst is coming from right now, taking breaks here and there is something he has been doing for years.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

R4n very late, they got angry, have send C&D letters and it all happened months ago.

Scanlations exist because there are raw providers... in that sense RAWs are the root of evil and scans are the unwanted bastard children.^^ You would be shocked to know how many japanese visit international scanlation sites. Over 50% of the visitors on my old hentai blog *cough* came from japan. Free is free, it's not like they are different from us in that aspect.

edit: need to stop watching something while writing posts... what Kaiten wrote.
    Last edited by Schabrak; November 22, 2011 at 02:06 PM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member •Sasuke•'s Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Shounen Jump Issue #51 contents
    http://www.dotup.org/uploda/www.dotup.org2296248.jpg

Spoiler show

8. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Edit:
    Nevermind, I made a mistake.
    Last edited by Samui; November 22, 2011 at 03:06 PM.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

If it is coming out next week it had to go to press and ship in order to guarantee it is in stores next week. What I said earlier about Jump applies to all magazines. They can not print and ship a few days before release, they need to give themselves enough time for copies to move from warehouse to truck to store no matter what the destination. And they have to have copies ready early enough that unexpected problems do not prevent copies from being on the rack the second stores open for the morning commute on the day of official release. Whether Jump, Magazine, SQ, or NEXT spoilers have been coming out up to a week in advance for years now, even before scanlations came out so early.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member SSJWill4's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by •Sasuke• View Post
    Shounen Jump Issue #51 contents
    http://www.dotup.org/uploda/www.dotup.org2296248.jpg

Spoiler show
    So then wouldn't Kochikame be 1st and 10th based on this page?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Mangaka are paid by the page, they are paid more money for color pages - so the more color pages an artist draw per year, the higher the salary. Mangaka want to do as many color pages a year as Shueisha will let them.
    You are right that Mangaka get paid by the page and that they get more money for CP BUT from what I understood (could be wrong) they get their main income from Volume sales. New Authors get 10% per printed Volume and Veteran Authors 15%. I would have to go look up how much they get for a page and a CP but I’m sure compared to Volume sales it isn’t much. Therefore I don’t think that the amount of more work necessary for a CP stands in a proportion with the more “income” per CP. Of course they might want CP to promote their series and therefore get more money from the Volume sales.

Bleach color pages are fantastic, other than Bleach hate I can't understand why anyone would dislike them.
    I can’t speak for other but for myself. It is not hate per say but more like “wasted” color. Kubo draws more often than not a character who wears either black or white on a black or white background. The only color that is left is the skin, hair and sometimes the eye color. That’s not a lot of “color”.
    The other problem I have is that they don’t excite me. Like I said the characters simple pose(like for a picture). They don’t have that energy behind them.
    I mean look at “old” Bleach color: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
    They weren’t only colorful and stylish but they had also certain energy. He still does sometimes really good CP but a lot of them are for me mediocre.

I think that Naruto and Sket Dance are the only current Manga with better color pages.
    Honestly I’m a little surprised that you would prefer a Bleach CP over an OP CP or a Bakuman CP. Personally I prefer a CP from about half of the WSJ raster more because a) they are usually more colorful and b) they have the thing I call energy.
    It is hard to describe what I mean with “energy”. Art is mostly subjective.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SSJWill4 View Post
    So then wouldn't Kochikame be 1st and 10th based on this page?
    I think it was said previously that there are 2 chapters of Kochikame this issue

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a maximum of four volumes a year and 48 chapters for a weekly manga. While mangaka can earn more for a tankobon it is less reliable money. It is based on a percentage, income is dependent on sales, and sales decline over time no matter how popular a manga. Chapters are steady, weekly work and a reliable weekly pay check. If it were me and I had an opportunity to supplement my income while getting featured in the front or center of the magazine, I would not be one to turn it down. Not only is the money better, color pages increase prestige and exposure.

Oda is a great artists and his color pages are not bad, but they are nothing special either. He has been drawing the same splash for a decade now, his drawing style shows almost no variation, his choice of colors are usually uninspired, and his splashes are to busy. He makes crowded panels work but spread over two pages it's a bit of overload. Bakuman color is fantastic, I almost forgot about it. One of the best in the magazine, without a doubt.

I actually can't see any difference between new Bleach color pages and old. He still does everything well that he used to. Here are his last seven color pages:

Spoiler show

Not only has he maintained previous quality, he has added some new tricks. A few pages use a sketchier, more impressionistic style, for example. He also demonstrates an outstanding sense of design and composition; there is a always a good sense of motion, nice balance, understanding of focal points, perfect use of color, and considerable amount of variety from one page to another. Plot quality aside his color pages shows an understanding of art and design that goes beyond manga. To many mangaka are good at drawing manga but have little understanding of art beyond comics.

Art is not subjective: it is a discipline, there are standards on how to create specific visual and psychological effects. Whether painting, sculpture, comics, or typography when something necessary is missing it is immediately apparent. There are many ways to make objectively good art, many different styles, many ways to move beyond conventions. But none are subjective, as with any other craft or discipline art works with a specific set of goals in mind. Taste may be subjective, but there is no accounting for taste nor does it make a work good or bad. If art is subjective Van Gogh would remain unknown. He died virtually unknown, his paintings having failed to find buyer or audience.

15. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a maximum of four volumes a year and 48 chapters for a weekly manga.
    Um, it's between four and six volumes a year for a weekly manga, depending a bit on the length of the chapters and how many chapters they opt to put into a volume. Plus whether or not they have any bonus chapters that ran in other places. For example, One Piece has been running 14 years. If it was just four volumes a year, it'd be only at 56 volumes instead of at 64 volumes. Likewise Bleach has been running ten years, and is at 52 volumes rather than 40.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

What Kaiten said was in most cases...obviously there are exceptions to everything. Like a manga (Kochi Kame is a good example) could run more than one chapter in a single issue. But generally what he said is correct.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drmke View Post
    What Kaiten said was in most cases...obviously there are exceptions to everything. Like a manga (Kochi Kame is a good example) could run more than one chapter in a single issue. But generally what he said is correct.
    Uh, not about the max number of volumes per year. One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, Toriko, Fairy Tail, Negima, Detective Conan, Kenichi, etc all have more volumes than would be possible if the max was 4 a year. Extra chapters being only a small part of it. Five volumes a year for a weekly is actually pretty standard.

Basically, if you're doing 20 pages a chapter, you'll usually have enough material for a volume after 9 chapters. At 48 chapters a year, that gives you enough material for 5.3 volumes per year. At 18 pages a chapter, it'll be ten chapters before you have enough material, leaving you with enough for 4.8 volumes per year. So in the first case you end up with 5 volumes/year usually with an occasional 6th volume, and in the second, You'll start with 4 volumes/year for the first year, then usually have 5 volumes. Series with less than 18 pages a chapter for weekly series are not common to my knowledge.

Thread Closed
Page 30 of 134 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 80 130 ... LastLast