Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed
Page 33 of 134 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 83 133 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011 - 2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Negative Syndicate

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromcd View Post
    Yes, I averaged from every Issue
    Then, there going to be bias in data for 2011. The series that started in 2011 doesn't have same number of scores as a series that has been serialized for more than a year; in other word, the ranking doesn't really tell anything. When you doing average, you have to same number of scores for all of them.

For example, how can you compare average ranking between Medaka and Kagami, since Medaka has 47 chapters in this year and Kagami only has 20 chapters. The more number of scores will make difference in average score.
    Last edited by Negative Syndicate; November 24, 2011 at 07:49 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member SSJWill4's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I averaged from every Issue
    I was going to do something similar once Issue 52's data was out lol. Did you do all the calculations by hand? I have an excel sheet with all the data of series rankings from 2010 and 2011 with formulas for the averages if you would want it for future use. Just pm me if you are interested (won't be home until Sunday though).

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    Then, there going to be bias in data for 2011. The series that started in 2011 doesn't have same number of scores as a series that has been serialized for more than a year; in other word, the ranking doesn't really tell anything. When you doing average, you have to same number of scores for all of them.

For example, how can you compare average ranking between Medaka and Kagami, since Medaka has 47 chapters in this year and Kagami only has 20 chapters. The more number of scores will make difference in average score.
    Even series that lasted a year may have different amont of chapters depending on if there were any absences or double chapters (like this last jump w/ Kochikame). It won't be perfect, but it's still fun to see a year's ToC so to speak.

Negative Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by SSJWill4 View Post
    Even series that lasted a year may have different amont of chapters depending on if there were any absences or double chapters (like this last jump w/ Kochikame). It won't be perfect, but it's still fun to see a year's ToC so to speak.
    But isn't it better to have data that is very close to perfect? All of series chapters are very different because some series have absents, more color pages than others, and like having double chapters. In mathematics, a small difference in score can make very big difference on the average ranking.

This site provide very different mathematical approach as compared to Zeromcd.
    http://hamada.tsukaeru.info/jump/2011/jump1150.html
    Last edited by Negative Syndicate; November 25, 2011 at 02:44 AM.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

But isn't it better to have data that is very close to perfect? All of series chapters are very different because some series have absents, more color pages than others, and like having double chapters. In mathematics, a small difference in score can make very big difference on the average ranking.

This site provide very different mathematical approach as compared to Zeromcd.
    http://hamada.tsukaeru.info/jump/2011/jump1150.html
    Thanks for the link. It is nice to see that they only use a sample of 10 chapters, but it still runs into the absences problem (One Piece is an average of 8 scores compared to HxH's 10 scores for instance). If we just remove series that did not last the whole year then the year summary data would be very similar to this website's approach to calculating averages.

Negative Syndicate

Thanks for the link. It is nice to see that they only use a sample of 10 chapters, but it still runs into the absences problem (One Piece is an average of 8 scores compared to HxH's 10 scores for instance). If we just remove series that did not last the whole year then the year summary data would be very similar to this website's approach to calculating averages.
    I know that webiste is not perfect, but I think it is very near perfect. When we try to calculate the average for whole year, then there going to be big error because of very large sample size. However, calculating the average for 10 weeks reduce large amount of error as compared to averaging whole year.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I know that webiste is not perfect, but I think it is very near perfect. When we try to calculate the average for whole year, then there going to be big error because of very large sample size. However, calculating the average for 10 weeks reduce large amount of error as compared to averaging whole year.
    You do realize that a larger sample size leads to more accurate results right?

Negative Syndicate

You do realize that a larger sample size leads to more accurate results right?
    However, in Jump ranking's case, if we try to calculate the average for whole year, it is very difficult to get near perfect average comparison since the number of chapters in each series are different from another. In order to compare the rankings, the sample size for each of them have to be equal; there is no point to compare ranking if one has 40 chapters and other has only 20 chapters.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

However, in Jump ranking's case, if we try to calculate the average for whole year, it is very difficult to get near perfect average comparison since the number of chapters in each series are different from another. In order to compare the rankings, the sample size for each of them have to be equal; there is no point to compare ranking if one has 40 chapters and other has only 20 chapters.
    Yeah...that's why I said, "If we just remove series that did not last the whole year then the year summary data would be very similar to this website's approach to calculating averages." :P

Negative Syndicate

Yeah...that's why I said, "If we just remove series that did not last the whole year then the year summary data would be very similar to this website's approach to calculating averages." :P
    Did you consider the differences on the absenses and color pages between series that lasted whole year?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you consider the differences on the absenses and color pages between series that lasted whole year?
    Yes. I don't think it impacts the data as much as you are claiming. Since this is just us going back and forth we should probably take this to PMs from here...didn't realize how many posts we have accumulated.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't One Piece suppose to celebrate 15 years of serialization with a "special page"? What happened with that?

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raDar's Avatar
    Country
    Sunspear
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    Wasn't One Piece suppose to celebrate 15 years of serialization with a "special page"? What happened with that?
    I think it was a mistake, since iirc OP's serialization started in August '97.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member redon's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    I think is this page ^^

15. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Inumaru's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Series from the main magazine that will be appearing in Jump Next!

- Medaka Box (Good Loser Kumagawa)
    - Sket Dance
    - Nurarihyon no Mago
    - Enigma (Final Chapter)
    - PSI Kusou Saiki
    - Magico
    - ST&RS
    - Kurogane
    - Nisekoi
    - Packy
    Does it means that Harisugawa will be canceled soon? Like when Oumagadoki wasnt included in the Spring edition and Light Wing in the Winter edition.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Inumaru View Post
    Does it means that Harisugawa will be canceled soon? Like when Oumagadoki wasnt included in the Spring edition and Light Wing in the Winter edition.
    It does feel like a bad omen. I actually like Harisugawa better than all the other 2011 new series, so I will definitely be bummed if it's canceled. :/

Thread Closed
Page 33 of 134 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 83 133 ... LastLast