Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
Thread Closed
Page 55 of 134 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011 - 2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber D Rufi View Post
    Oh okay. So then I guess we're in the clear for at least a few more weeks. I figure he wants to wrap up this arc and then go on hiatus. Good for us, but I hope he returns soon.
    Chapter 330 will be the last of volume 31 so there will be at least ten more chapters. Chapters 331 - 340 will be volume 32.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Chapter 330 will be the last of volume 31 so there will be at least ten more chapters. Chapters 331 - 340 will be volume 32.
    Oh sweet. 10 more weeks of Hunter? Can't ask for more than that. Oh well I guess we could ask for normal weekly releases, but this IS Togashi we're talking about.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Hiatus)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Ended)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Ended)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thirty chapters in a row is quite the treat, any more and I'd feel spoiled.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure but other WSJ authors do around 50 weeks or so, give or take.

Nah, I'm just being an ass. I know what you mean. I do wonder how this will affect cuts though? Cause no one figured Togashi would actually keep the ball rolling this time around. I really hope that he's going to do a new thing where he does whole arcs before going on hiatus. I could tolerate that a bit more than being left hanging in the middle of an arc for a year. I loved the ants arc, but the hiatuses were a strain.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Hiatus)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Ended)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Ended)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

Negative Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber D Rufi View Post
    Nah, I'm just being an ass. I know what you mean. I do wonder how this will affect cuts though? Cause no one figured Togashi would actually keep the ball rolling this time around. I really hope that he's going to do a new thing where he does whole arcs before going on hiatus. I could tolerate that a bit more than being left hanging in the middle of an arc for a year. I loved the ants arc, but the hiatuses were a strain.
    That means another series will be axed along with St&rs. So far, I think the next candidates are Magico and Kagami.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member wintercry's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

January Tankobons:

ST&RS 2
    Spoiler show

Katekyo Hitman Reborn! 37
    Spoiler show

Bakuman 16
    Spoiler show

Kagami no Panty no Harisugawa
    Spoiler show

Unrelated:

Otter11
    Spoiler show

8. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm purchasing all of those new Jump Comics. I didn't intent to buy ST&RS #2 but I just couldn't say no to that cover

I also think that 3 of the current series will be cancelled with 3 new series coming in. These are my predictions:
    Issue #9 - ST&RS
    Issue #10 - Magico or Harisugawa (Leaning towards Magico)
    Issue #11 - Nurarihyon no Mago

Even with Mago's high sales I still think it will be cancelled. Series that have sold better have still been cancelled like Busou Renkin, Shaman King, Jigoku Sensei Nube, Saint Seiya and Kimagure Orange Road. Aditionally, with the way it has been ranking over a year without making it into the top 10 of the TOC, not having a Lead CP since mid-2010 coupled with the Anime now over and the Author becoming a father, I just can't see it going on any longer.

As a fan of Mago, I do hope I am wrong.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member wintercry's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I know where you're getting from. I also like the covers form ST&RS 1 and 2 to such great extent! Also, I, too, am a Mago fan, though I feel like it's becoming, or rather, becoming unbecoming, if you know what I mean.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Sparkles, Sparkles everywhere! Besides Kagami and Otter11, all of the new Jan tanks are so colorful xD

hum, i don't meant to be an ass but i honestly prefer HxH continuing to seeing a series being 'saved' from the cut

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
    It's often debated whether it's 7 or 8 chapters. In my opinion, the first ranked chapter is Chapter 8 (this is where most series sink to rock bottom, and popular new series always get a celebratory color page for Chapter 9), so the TOC is affected by 7 chapters ago. People usually get confused by the math (8-1=7).
    Ah. So in other words there's room for debate, and instead of erring on the side of caution, some people are choosing to err on the side of possibly premature celebration.

Seeing as we've got cases like Sengoku Armors where it was doing well in the mid range at chapter 8, and tanked at chapter 9, or ST&RS, where it got a color page at chapters 7 and 11, and proceeded to tank very hard at 12, I think I'll err on the side of caution and assume Nisekoi is not ranked yet.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Krono View Post
    Ah. So in other words there's room for debate, and instead of erring on the side of caution, some people are choosing to err on the side of possibly premature celebration.

Seeing as we've got cases like Sengoku Armors where it was doing well in the mid range at chapter 8, and tanked at chapter 9, or ST&RS, where it got a color page at chapters 7 and 11, and proceeded to tank very hard at 12, I think I'll err on the side of caution and assume Nisekoi is not ranked yet.
    I suggest rereading the quote from OP before assuming that chapters 2 - 8 are not ranked. The quote actually contradicts itself, also stating that the TOC reflects "popularity of 8 chapter ago." If the TOC does not reflect fan polls until chapter 9, that would mean the TOC does not reflect "popularity of 8 chapter ago", but popularity of nine chapters ago. Furthermore, what does it mean that chapters 2 - 8 are not ranked, why is chapter one left off? Chapter 1 is the only chapter that is obviously, definitively, not ranked. It is always first, with the exception of new gag manga like Pakki. Given the discrepancy one can glean that errors were made when making the quoted post and it needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

St&rs and Sengoku do not make for very good proof that the TOC begins reflecting fan polls at chapter nine, rather than eight. That each dropped to the bottom five at nine chapters or later only proves that to small a sample size was used. There are many examples of manga that fell from a seemingly fixed position to the bottom five after eight or fewer chapters. Meister, from early 2009 is a good example, as is 2008's Chagecha. The former collapsed after eight chapters, and was canceled after ten. Chagecha was in the bottom five by chapter seven, and canceled an issue later after eight chapters. At the other extreme, Toriko was placed in the top five by the editors, and did not leave for a year.

Furthermore the data for St&rs and Sengoku do not agree, each falling to the bottom five at a different point in serialization. Sengoku as early as chapter nine (reflecting chapter 2), and St&rs at chapter 12 (reflecting chapter 5). With each dropping after a different length of time, does this prove that there is a single, unquestionable amount of time before the TOC reflects the polls? No, it does not. All that it shows is that it takes some series longer to fall than others, if a series falls at all. It is quite possible, even likely, for a new series to grab reader attention, and poll well for a few weeks, only for interest in subsequent chapters to wain. Using Sengoku as an example, chapter one may have garnered a lot of attention and polled fairly well. But by chapter 2 interest was gone, and polls plummeted. Thus chapter 8 was relatively high in the TOC, indistinguishable from editorial placement, while chapter 9 reflected the loss in interest. A series like St&rs was able to maintain interest a couple of chapters longer, only to suffer the same fate a little later on. Meister and Chagecha would then be examples of series that fans rejected from the beginning. It would be realistic to think that something new would garner a bit of interest, only for the novelty to wear off soon thereafter.

In the case of Nisekoi it is highly unlikely that the editors will place it at number four after eight issues, only to drop it significantly the next issue. After eight weeks the editors have enough of an idea of fan response not to place an unpopular new series in the top five. It certainly could plummet after a few weeks, but it is a guarantee that it will rank very high next week as well: likely in the top seven. This we do have proper data for. There are almost no examples of a title placed in the top five by the editors only to drop to the bottom five by the ninth issue.

The fact that it takes 8 chapters for the TOC to reflect poll results has been well known since at least 2006. The source was whomever posted the TOC to 2CH at the time. While occasionally questioned the meaning of "8 chapters ago" is fairly straight forward: TOC position of chapter 8 reflects the poll results for chapter 1. There is no chapter zero, so 8 - 8 = an invalid number. As chapter one is beginning of time for any manga it has to be counted when counting to chapter 8.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i find it unlikely that nura will end since its finally going back to the whole nue situation so it probably will be moved to sq. harisugawa and st&rs are both likely to be axed especcily st&rs. i think jump will probably want to keep magico since its the longest series without a anime and they need one since they really dont have much else to green lit cept for axed series like psyren and enigma.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or do we go through this "Will Mago end" thing about every two months?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Whenever new cancellations are coming, just like ToLoveRu. There is almost no way that Mago ends in WSJ this winter though. We already know it is not ending in issue 7, that news would be out already, we would know when the upcoming color pages were posted. It won't end in the double issue, there would be to many uncollected chapters for two volumes (volume 20 comes out the first week of February) but not enough for three. Mago needs at least eight more issues, beginning with issue 7, before it can make a clean move.

Longevity can only work against Magico, not in it's favor. The editors already know what they have: a low selling manga that polls poorly. Volume sales have been sluggish, showing no signs of rising, let alone having the potential to be a hit. Had there been a series like Sengoku or Ikkyuu that fell to the bottom five immediately and stayed there, Magico would be spared. For how erratic it's TOC position it is, Kagami has not done poorly enough. It will be given an opportunity to develop, rather than a manga like Magico that has a long history of poor TOC performance and sales.
    Last edited by Kaiten; December 28, 2011 at 06:32 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is some further evidence as to why I believe that series begin ranking on chapter 8.

Jump 1983 Issue #48 TOC
    Cats Eye (Lead CP)
    Fist of the North Star (Chapter 8 Published)
    Tenchi wo Kurau
    Captain Tsubasa
    Kochikame
    Black Angels
    Kinnikuman
    Stop Hibari-kun
    Highschool Kimengumi
    Ashita Tenhei
    Shape Up Ran
    Yoroshiku Mech Dock
    Dr. Slump
    Kick Off
    Fuma no Kojiro
    Wingman
    Magic Boy Biitii

Jump 1983 Issue #49 TOC
    Highschool Kimengumi (Lead CP)
    Kochikame
    Tenchi wo Kurau
    Cats Eye
    Fist of the North Star (Chapter 9 Published)
    Kinnikuman
    Dr. Slump
    Fuma no Kojiro (End)
    Stop Hibari-kun
    Cats Eye
    Black Angels
    Ashita Tenhei
    Yoroshiku Mecha Dock
    Wingman
    Shape Up Ran
    Magic Boy Biitii
    Kick Off

It is stated in Bakuman that the most popular first chapter in the history of Shounen Jump is Fist of the North Star. When Chapter 8 was published it was ranked first whilst when Chapter 9 was published it only came in fourth. There have been a number of series that ranked first place when their ninth chapter was published so I would rule out the possibility that series begin to rank on chapter 9
    Last edited by Zeromcd; December 28, 2011 at 09:38 PM.

19. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
Thread Closed
Page 55 of 134 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 ... LastLast