Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed
Page 34 of 134 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011 - 2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Inumaru View Post
    Does it means that Harisugawa will be canceled soon? Like when Oumagadoki wasnt included in the Spring edition and Light Wing in the Winter edition.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSJWill4 View Post
    It does feel like a bad omen. I actually like Harisugawa better than all the other 2011 new series, so I will definitely be bummed if it's canceled. :/
    Sure guys... Harisugawa had one bottom 5 rating since its rating started. We don't know what the current ToC is and the last chapter says it will have a center colour page. You don't give a soon to be axed series a center colour page. Harisugawa has already "survived" the upcoming round of axes. If you even can speak about survival, knowing that some other recent series are doing worse
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Negative Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    Sure guys... Harisugawa had one bottom 5 rating since its rating started.
    Actually, Harisugawa dropped to bottom 5 three times; even it has gotten color page, there is a chance that it'll return to bottom 5 after the color page. Harisuagawa is currently one of leading candidates to be axed on next round (along with St&rs).

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member SSJWill4's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    Sure guys... Harisugawa had one bottom 5 rating since its rating started. We don't know what the current ToC is and the last chapter says it will have a center colour page. You don't give a soon to be axed series a center colour page. Harisugawa has already "survived" the upcoming round of axes. If you even can speak about survival, knowing that some other recent series are doing worse
    Do you remember Bokke-san? It was promoted right before the end as well. I'll agree with you that it's not over yet, but I doubt anyone will really be shocked to see it go. Being excluded from Jump Next! may not spell a death sentence, but it definitely isn't a good thing either...

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It is to early to be proclaiming any series doom, especially with new series premiering less than a month ago and no real idea when the next round of cancellations are coming. There is also the Hunter x Hunter factor: a series will be saved from cancellation whenever it goes on hiatus again, assuming it does. There is a minimum of four more issues before HxH can go back on hiatus.

Kagami has not fared well in the TOC recently, that much is true. Three recent issues in the bottom five as well as a number of issues where (for all intensive purposes) unranked series like Hunter x Hunter and Kochikame pushed it out of the bottom five. Kagami has ranked in the middle frequently enough that nothing can be assumed. Medaka yo-yo'ed between the bottom five and middle when it was new and was not canceled. Jump seems to cut new, non-action manga a lot of slack as there are so few examples at any given time. It should also be remembered that the TOC is not a one person - one vote poll. Votes are weighted by age and gender. No matter what the actual composition of readers, votes from middle school boys who may be embarrassed to vote for a romantic comedy will always outweigh votes from readers over sixteen. Thus action manga tend to be artificially inflated while slice of life and romcon tend to be artificially low. A series like Kagami may be getting enough votes to survive but the editors are pushing it down the TOC to make room for manga that most appeal to Jump's target audience. I would not take a color page as sign of survival but unless Kagami becomes a fixture in the bottom five I would delay proclamations of doom. Always remember: Medaka Box and Akaboshi each had early rankings similar to Kagami. The vast majority of thread regulars declared that Medaka would be canceled and Akaboshi survive based on the logic that Jump gives preference to action and there is never much room for anything else. The actual fact is that action manga are a dime a dozen while it is a real challenge to find comedy, slice of life, and romcon manga. With even a little support the editors will not cancel non-action, it is to hard to find publishable replacements. As long as Kagami continues making occasional visits to the middle of the magazine (sixth from bottom or above) it will survive.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Do you remember Bokke-san? It was promoted right before the end as well. I'll agree with you that it's not over yet, but I doubt anyone will really be shocked to see it go. Being excluded from Jump Next! may not spell a death sentence, but it definitely isn't a good thing either...
    Bokke bottomed out as soon as Asklepius and Meister were canceled. Both series cushioned Bokke, which rarely ranked higher than sixth or seventh from bottom. That was also the period when To Love Ru and Neuro were permanent bottom five for six months or more, without being canceled. A lot of new series seemed to be safer than they were, as only the most pathetic fell into the bottom five immediately. Bokke is also a case of an easily replaced action/fantasy manga.
    Last edited by Kaiten; November 25, 2011 at 03:23 PM.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Negative Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Always remember: Medaka Box and Akaboshi each had early rankings similar to Kagami. The vast majority of thread regulars declared that Medaka would be canceled and Akaboshi survive based on the logic that Jump gives preference to action and there is never much room for anything else.
    Actually, Akaboshi did even worse that Kagami; it only manage to escape bottom 5 just once, after that it stayed bottom 5 for whole time. Also, Medaka had slightly better ranking than Akaboshi, so Akaboshi was in more danger than Medaka.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post

Bokke bottomed out as soon as Asklepius and Meister were canceled. Both series cushioned Bokke, which rarely ranked higher than sixth or seventh from bottom. That was also the period when To Love Ru and Neuro were permanent bottom five for six months or more, without being canceled. A lot of new series seemed to be safer than they were, as only the most pathetic fell into the bottom five immediately. Bokke is also a case of an easily replaced action/fantasy manga.
    I think we can both agree that this is not an exact science. You can pull a bunch of different examples of series that ended from all sorts of situations, but that doesn't mean the same thing will happen again. I can't remember the exact circumstances on how Ane Dokii left the magazine, but it does remind me of Harisugawa in terms of genre. Either way, I will still be routing for the series and hope that it survives the next round of cancelations.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Oberon's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Part of Preview Jump #01 & Some Stuff Jump #51:

9. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

many new series get cancelled, what's up? I guess mangakas are no talent or something like

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by calimike View Post
    many new series get cancelled, what's up? I guess mangakas are no talent or something like
    Sometimes it;s that, but half the time it;s that the JUMP readers have standards we don;t really seem to know about and series get axed for not being what their looking for even if most of us here may find it to be good (Psyren, Double Arts, Enigma, etc.)

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not even the manga that get axed aren't what the readers are looking for, it's that for a new series to start something has to be canceled and since older series have been around longer, they have a bigger fanbase and since newer series don't have that fanbase, they are a million times more vulnerable to being the one that gets canceled.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Huh...didn't realize that Issue 1 was next week. When was the last time we only had 51 issues?

Negative Syndicate

Huh...didn't realize that Issue 1 was next week. When was the last time we only had 51 issues?
    We only had 51 issues because the unexpected one week absent due to the earthquake on last March; plus, we actually had 47 issues because four issues are double issues. Jump should have 48 issues if they didn't take absent.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    We only had 51 issues because the unexpected one week absent due to the earthquake on last March
    Ah, that makes sense. I thought that there were other instances where there were only 51 Issues in a year, but I just checked and it looks like there has been at least 52 issues a year since 1970. Plenty of 53 issue occurrences, but never 51.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by calimike; November 28, 2011 at 07:04 AM.

Negative Syndicate

What about it?

Thread Closed
Page 34 of 134 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 44 84 ... LastLast