Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 500 (2) , Bleach 586 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boys on the Run by HANAZAWA Kengo

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Boys on the Run by HANAZAWA Kengo

Boys on the Run
    By: HANAZAWA Kengo
    Genre: Comedy, Romance, Sports
    Serialized In: Big Comic Spirits
    Mangaupdates

The story of how a guy goes from a loser at a dead end job to a boxer.

By the mangaka of I am a Hero and Ressentiment​
    Last edited by Josef K.; November 12, 2011 at 08:16 PM.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Featured] Boys on the Run by HANAZAWA Kengo

Great, I was waiting for someone to take this project up in a serious manner.

Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it s a pretty good series and it has very little chance to be edited anywhere so it s great if picked up as scanlation. The character is loser type but I think many can relate to him, so it s kind of touching story at times.

They made a movie out of it, one or 2 years ago, covering the first few volumes of the manga. The movie story line was quite close to the manga. The trailer is here, warning, it includes some developments of the story
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJIQLRbB5MM

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barbapapa View Post
    Great, I was waiting for someone to take this project up in a serious manner.
    I like Daniel.AU too, someone needs to give him a trophy for translating all of those Junji Ito manga. I'm a huge Hanazawa fan and was definitely excited to see Boys on the Run released.

Quote Originally Posted by kohaku View Post
    I think it s a pretty good series and it has very little chance to be edited anywhere so it s great if picked up as scanlation. The character is loser type but I think many can relate to him, so it s kind of touching story at times.

They made a movie out of it, one or 2 years ago, covering the first few volumes of the manga. The movie story line was quite close to the manga. The trailer is here, warning, it includes some developments of the story
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJIQLRbB5MM
    Hanazawa specializes in Loser types, I am a Hero and Ressentiment​ both star huge losers. It feels like the triumph of the outcast is his grand theme. Once I've read more of the manga I'll check the movie out.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesomeness! Thanks for bringing this manga into attention! Epic comedy, lovely art and funny characters. The first chapter was what the hell most of the time. The second was good enough to get me to love the series even more, soft romance rather than the more graphic first chapter. Lol, I will surely see the movie. Love the art with the wide panels a lot. Lots of interesting takes from the mangaka.

Still laughing!
    Last edited by Josef K.; October 25, 2011 at 03:19 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The first chapter was definitely, um.... gross, but it was hilarious. I bet the girl who put the band aid on his face is important later on. Funny that he hooked up with who he did, rather than her. I bet she ends up marginalizing the girl he actually likes but he does not end up dating either, except maybe in the end.

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

She is the cutest in my opinion, the band aid one. The girl he likes is kind of weird and does not seem to like him very much. On the other hand that other one is really nice and cool! I guess I already have a favorite. Too bad it's a complete series though, meh I guess that will make them scan it faster!

---------- Post added November 07, 2011 at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was October 29, 2011 at 01:14 PM ----------

Well the release is now up to chapter 7, really nice series! I thought it would have more graphic stuff but now things are moving in a different direction, and it seems he has formed some kind of relationship with the black haired girl, she is really an odd one though, why would she ask that stuff for girl manga?

Also his co-worker and the story around the company really kind of shows his professional life coexists with his personal life and now maybe his love life, less few chapters he felt less like a loser.

---------- Post added November 20, 2011 at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was November 07, 2011 at 08:19 AM ----------

Wow, what a roller coaster! It is nice that they are taking things slow, but it seems the boxing part of the manga is kicking in. The soft romance was really well done in these 3 chapters though, a nice touch of comedy at times. Best part was when the was locked as not to do anything haha. Though I really do not like if their relationship is broken after the run in with the weird girl. :/
    Last edited by Josef K.; October 29, 2011 at 02:16 PM.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boys on the Run by HANAZAWA Kengo

I hate chapter releases, so I waited to read it until today. Liking it a lot, probably moreso than any other first volume of Hanazawa's series. The main characters and setting really appeal to me. Much more set in real-life Japan.

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

The waits are killer sometimes. I mean sure the series gets scanned weekly or bi-weekly by the group but it has 10 volumes and knowing that it is complete you just want to read it as fast as you. I love how the author mixes the emotions of the main character with some realistic things happening around him, like his job which is really great painting the society that the character lives in and combining it with his inner thoughts and struggles like in this case love.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barbapapa View Post
    I hate chapter releases, so I waited to read it until today. Liking it a lot, probably moreso than any other first volume of Hanazawa's series. The main characters and setting really appeal to me. Much more set in real-life Japan.
    He seems to like writing slow first volumes, sometimes it feels like he intends to lull readers or establish a false pretext to shatter later on. Not so much here, he is much more straight to the point. And yeah, I'm really enjoying this so far.

The end of volume 1 was among the funniest scenes I have ever read in a manga. Particularly the hotel room, which left me laughing like an idiot, and this which I have turned into an avy.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice sig also, btw. REDLINE is amazing. (Sonoshee <3)
    Last edited by barbapapa; December 06, 2011 at 08:54 AM.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

It does seem slow, but I like it that he does not waste panels it's his manga writing/drawing style that makes this happen. I personally look at series volume by volume if they tend to have more than one. As I said developments will most likely happen faster now though I do not want action to get ahead of comedy, it is always dangerous since there are so many mainstream action manga out there. But true comedy like this is hard to find. At times this dwells into dark/black humor.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The first volume of Boys was definitely faster paced than I am a Hero, even if Hero was slow paced on purpose. Boys started off with a veritable bang, with Tanishi at tele-club. His character was established pretty definitively when he was running from Mayumi at the end of chapter 1.

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah strange he does not seem to develop in the first volumes, he is the type of character that you "seem to have known always". That is the feel I got form him, his whole story is perhaps too realistic(as in currently popular in the world), thus making his character realistic and making his really close to some readers, not all but at least it is kind of cool some may relate to him.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing he develops a little, becomes less of a loser, when he gets to know the blonde haired girl (the one who beat up the Yakuza). He is easy to identify with right now, though a bit of a one dimensional loser. Though I suppose real Tanashi's tend to be just as one dimensional.

---------- Post added December 14, 2011 at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was December 08, 2011 at 10:26 PM ----------

Chapter 14 and 15 are out, not as good as the previous batch but a great read never the less.

Spoiler show

---------- Post added December 21, 2011 at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was December 14, 2011 at 10:21 PM ----------

Chapter 16 and 17 are out and Shiho is officially my favorite character already. I wonder why Chiharu hid (stole?) the condoms.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast