Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thank you, Bakuman.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DoctorApollo's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Bakuman.

Well, Bakuman's ending. I mean, I don't think there's anyone debating it at this point, right? It's either next week or the one after that. MAYBE one more after, at a push. Or maybe there is a debate that it might last another volume? I don't know, but it's all the same. We all know that it's pretty much over.

So I don't know. I just wanted to make a thread about the importance of the series because I personally feel that it's really important to me. I think Bakuman had a really slow phase that made a lot of the less interested readers stop reading, so maybe the people who are still here are supposedly "true" fans. If you'd like, I want you all to share your experience with the series and how you feel about it.

August 2008 is when it came out, almost four years ago now. I was fourteen back then, the same age as Mashiro and Takagi. The age on this profile is obviously inaccurate, because back when I made the account I rushed and didn't intend to post anything, but I digress. Anyway, back then I didn't know anything about manga. I mean, I knew I wanted to draw manga, but I didn't know much more than that. I also knew I really liked manga like Naruto, but that was about it. As with everyone else, I thought Death Note was amazing, so I was really excited when I found out there was a new series by them. My friend told me to read it, so I read the first chapter without knowing what it was going to be about. It was beautiful.
    And it stayed beautiful. It taught me all these nice things about all these pretty pens and panels and names and editors and Jump. It's been my favorite manga for the last four years. It made me really want to try to draw real manga, but I never bothered with the supplies. I looked for them online a few times, but I never went as far as buying any. I just kept drawing pictures in pencil, and later digital pictures, but not manga.

I won't go through everything that happened since then, of course, but it lead to the fact that yesterday, my manga ink and pen nibs arrived. A real G-pen nib. I'm seventeen and after four years of reading Bakuman, I'm finally holding and using one. For those of you that still haven't experienced it -- it's as hard to use as Mashiro makes it out to be. I've tried a few things, but I can't get the lines I want at all. I'm hoping I will in the future, but I wanted to share this: One of the very first things I inked with it, (it's the first proper drawing, really)
    Spoiler show

It's Detective Trap from Ashirogi's manga, and I wanted it to be the first thing I draw with the G-pen. Maybe because I wanted to thank Bakuman, I don't know.
    I'm not going to show a clearer scanned picture of the drawing because this isn't about the actual picture, which is of course still amateurish since I'm only starting out. This is about the whole experience. The G-pen on the side, the ink, the character itself. Everything is there because of Bakuman, and it's all really important to me, and I don't know. I figured there should be people here that care about Bakuman enough to understand what I mean.

So does anyone else agree? Anyone else thinks Bakuman was a really important series to them? Anyone else would call Bakuman their favorite series? I'm assuming a lot of you would, so just share what you feel about everything the series was and anything you feel is relevant.

2. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thank you, Bakuman.

Mmm.. Definetly a good read but I wouldn't put it in my favorite list, though I really got attached to it and its one of the few mangas I read in a weekly basis..
    I will definetly miss it.
    IMO Bakuman isn't really about manga.. Well IT is about manga but its more about fighting for reaching your dreams, if you think about it its just a generic fighting or spokon JUMP manga just with drawing manga as its setting.
    Even the characters are archetypes of battle/spokon manga.
    -Ashirogi: Main character. Well main characters are different, still they are a pretty normal main character.
    -Miho: The love-interest. She is the reason of everything happening, basically.
    -Eiji: The genius rival which improves and makes his rival improve.
    And so on..

I think Bakuman over-extended, 15 volumes would have been very solid, specifically the 2nd Nanamine arc IMO could have been skipped.. Felt like filler lol.

On the bright side, Bakuman message is a nice one, it really, really slaps me in the face right now, I began reading Bakuman back when it was released.. 2008? 2009? Can't rememeber, anyway I was a University stuendent, now I have graduated and I am currently unemployed (Have been for like 4 months lol) I have had some offers but they are IMO totally not worth it, the pay isn't good. In fact I can win more money playing poker online (which I am currently doing lol) anyway I think this is where Bakuman really kinda slaps me in the face.

Bakuman isn't about a duo making manga, its the story of how they made their dream come true, and in the way make other persons dreams true.

In reality I don't think working for a big firm or anything is what I really want, but is that estability that I think we all thrive for that will make me no doubt accept a good offer, even If I were making more money on poker since I know there will never be a day Poker can be considered a stable job (LOL).
    What'd I LOVE to do, is be able to travel and play in big poker tournaments, its hard and you need lots of cash to do so (You first build your roll playing online, and most of the times you won't just enter the big tournmaent, you play other littler tournmaents that give you a ticket if you win). But as I said, I want to get a job, I want my estability.

Also I find the message in Bakuman extremely appealing for the Japanese culture, with all they "Graduate from university go work for a firm for your entire life" way of thinking, I am sure Bakuman has inspired lots of readers to do what they really would like to do. Heck.. Maybe I unconsiously am inspired by it.

BTW great drawing.

And finally as a side note, if you like Obata's art and liked the story I invite you to read Hikaru no Go, same drawings different story-teller but its.. kidna similiar to Bakuman.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OtakuModeEngage's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Bakuman is my favorite manga. I remember randomly reading through manga descriptions on Manga Reader, and if I found the summery interesting, I would read the first chapter; which if found equally interesting, would lead me to adding it to my very long reading list, and force me into hours of endless manga digestion until I was caught up with serialization in Japan. But well, in this process sometimes I would take a day or so off from reading a new manga, suffering from temporary loss of interest, and if this loss of interest ensued, I would drop the piece. But with Bakuman, there was never a dull moment.

Every day I would read the latest chapters of manga on my reading list from least favorite to most, and whenever Bakuman was released, it would always be the last, because it would always fill me up with positive energy and joy. I loved watching them pursue their dreams and race against the challenges that attempted to usurp them; every time they were serialized I found myself jumping out of my chair with joy, and every time they were crushed I was equally wounded. I found their manga so intriguing and would rant about Azuki's cuteness to my friends, who couldn't understand why I was so in love with a manga character. I remember getting so pissed off whenever someone thought I was talking about Bakugon or said Bakuman was boring, and I would force my friends to read the first chapter, ranting about how hilarious it was. But even with my obsession over Azuki's cuteness, I was always cheering Mashiro on from the first day; I become a Bakuman Otaku.

I think this manga became so important to me, because my girlfriend also lives far away and because she is younger than me we are restricted on our contact, and I share Ashigori's dream too -well, not manga, but I want to be an author-, so I couldn't help but to wholeheartedly cheer for them the whole way; part of me was believing if they could pull it off, so could I, and the other part was trying to live my own ambitions through the manga. In either case, I grew deeply attached with Bakuman's plot and characters, and fell in love with the manga.

I can't believe its ending so soon, and I hope O&O pull off something amazing, something that I can cherish forever.
    Last edited by OtakuModeEngage; April 18, 2012 at 07:19 PM.

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

perroloco --

you are absolutely right. It's definitely about the idea of dreams more than the specific dream they have. And the stability thing is so unfortunately true. I would die to spend all my time on trying to draw manga, but the world forces you to make it your backup plan and my main plan has to involve university and such, which I'll be attending soon. I can only use my spare time on manga, instead of it being the other way around. I'm not brave enough to just go only to manga, the stability is too important.

Otaku --
    I'm actually in a long distance relationship, too. The kind where traveling to each other is an ~18 hour process, it's awful. And I do get that from Mashiro. You know, I hear a bunch of people saying their relationship isn't realistic and it bugs me. Yeah, it's not a stereotypical relationship, and yes, it would probably be unrealistic to expect a normal person to do it. But who says it's not something that a real person would do? Mashiro and Azuki are just very specific, interesting characters, and that doesn't make them unrealistic. It's even more interesting to read about characters like that.
    Since you want to be an author and I feel that you must be in the Bakuman spirit, I'd like you to consider doing a one shot with me. I know I'm not the best artist, but I want to try drawing proper manga, so teaming up and not having to worry about the story is something that can only help me. And you read Bakuman, too, so you'd be easier to collaborate wtih on this, and I imagine more enthusiastic. Either way, if you want to, cool, if you don't then that's okay, too. If you do, I'm willing to either take it really seriously or see it as more of a side project for both of us, depending on what you'd prefer. This message goes to everyone, by the way, I'm pretty much looking for a partner. But since you want to be an author, you might be more interesting to work with. Speak to me about it in private messages if you want.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blade5468 View Post
    perroloco --

you are absolutely right. It's definitely about the idea of dreams more than the specific dream they have. And the stability thing is so unfortunately true. I would die to spend all my time on trying to draw manga, but the world forces you to make it your backup plan and my main plan has to involve university and such, which I'll be attending soon. I can only use my spare time on manga, instead of it being the other way around. I'm not brave enough to just go only to manga, the stability is too important.

Otaku --
    I'm actually in a long distance relationship, too. The kind where traveling to each other is an ~18 hour process, it's awful. And I do get that from Mashiro. You know, I hear a bunch of people saying their relationship isn't realistic and it bugs me. Yeah, it's not a stereotypical relationship, and yes, it would probably be unrealistic to expect a normal person to do it. But who says it's not something that a real person would do? Mashiro and Azuki are just very specific, interesting characters, and that doesn't make them unrealistic. It's even more interesting to read about characters like that.
    Since you want to be an author and I feel that you must be in the Bakuman spirit, I'd like you to consider doing a one shot with me. I know I'm not the best artist, but I want to try drawing proper manga, so teaming up and not having to worry about the story is something that can only help me. And you read Bakuman, too, so you'd be easier to collaborate wtih on this, and I imagine more enthusiastic. Either way, if you want to, cool, if you don't then that's okay, too. If you do, I'm willing to either take it really seriously or see it as more of a side project for both of us, depending on what you'd prefer. This message goes to everyone, by the way, I'm pretty much looking for a partner. But since you want to be an author, you might be more interesting to work with. Speak to me about it in private messages if you want.
    I agree, relationships like that may be rare and hard to keep going, but not impossible; we're proof of that. As for creating a manga together, I've had this story in my head for the longest time, brilliant, I think, but hard to write as a literary piece; more suited for manga. Well, I doubt we can get anything published since we live in america, but it could be a fun protect. I'll compose a general storyboard and PM you.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Publishing is something else, but nothing stops you from putting it up online, and I already emailed sites like mangareader.net and they're perfectly willing to put up an amateur unpublished manga. Which is selling the work for cheap -- but the point is that if you're not looking for money, you can still get readers through many ways.
    Regarding the storyboard, that would be extremely nice, but if possible I'd like a short summary of your idea n a PM since I imagine the storyboard would take longer. If you don't think it can be easily conveyed then anything's okay, but yeah. It'll be a nice project.

But yeah, on the subject of Bakuman: I've never really felt this strongly about a manga. I guess I never followed a manga from the day it started to the day it ends, but I'm really emotional. I can't wait for the chapter to come out. I've never been incapable of waiting to this extent, it's just too much. And it probably won't even have that much, y'know. It'll just end, and I already saw the crucial parts on spoilers anyway, but... I have to see it. Now. NOW.
    Last edited by DoctorApollo; April 18, 2012 at 07:17 PM.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blade5468 View Post
    Publishing is something else, but nothing stops you from putting it up online, and I already emailed sites like mangareader.net and they're perfectly willing to put up an amateur unpublished manga. Which is selling the work for cheap -- but the point is that if you're not looking for money, you can still get readers through many ways.
    Regarding the storyboard, that would be extremely nice, but if possible I'd like a short summary of your idea n a PM since I imagine the storyboard would take longer. If you don't think it can be easily conveyed then anything's okay, but yeah. It'll be a nice project.

But yeah, on the subject of Bakuman: I've never really felt this strongly about a manga. I guess I never followed a manga from the day it started to the day it ends, but I'm really emotional. I can't wait for the chapter to come out. I've never been incapable of waiting to this extent, it's just too much. And it probably won't even have that much, y'know. It'll just end, and I already saw the crucial parts on spoilers anyway, but... I have to see it. Now. NOW.
    I created this account because of Bakuman, I was searching for a spoiler because the previous chapter left me on the verge of self destruction, I just HAD to know what happened next... but that day is nowhere near how pumped up I am today! Can you believe it, I think adrenalin is rushing through my blood... and over a Manga of all things... but well, this story just means that much to me.

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Otakumode and blade, it would be incredible if you guys do get to publish that story, you guys know there are ways to get published in Japan, right? Not by JUMP though, I really don´t want to discourage you, but you should already know by reading Bakuman that getting published there is hard and I frankly don´t think JUMP will want to work with foreigner authors (At least not right now) anyway IIRC there is an internation anual contest from Kodansha, google it guys.

And wow guys, cheers for you, I have enough problems with realtionships in my same city, I don´t think I would ever be able to handle a "Mashiro" type relationship! lol.

Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be incredible indeed, but I'm not really looking for a publishing in the Japanese market because, well, I'm not good enough yet of course.

I'd actually like to point out that they don't care much for your address if you're not serialized, I think. For instance, if you buy a copy of Jump on time in a store in America, you can send in the questionaires and you can actually affect the serializing series. They don't check where it came from, and there are in fact stores that bring it on time, but I'm not sure where or whatever. I just know it from manga people that work with proper tools, I check a lot of videos on it and such in order to learn. Anyway, the person there lived in Japan for quite a while and he said that you can participate in the contests and send in an entry regardless of where you live, as long as it's Jump level and it's in Japanese. That, of course, wouldn't guarantee it getting in, but... I think it's fair to say that if the one shot of something like One Piece was sent in from a foreign artist, they'd still run it if they thought it was that good. I mean, to a certain extent they just want to put out interesting stuff, right? So if it's in Japanese and you're not actually planning on getting serialized, I'm pretty confident you can turn in a manga for the contests or as a one shot, but again, I'm obviously not sure because I don't think many people tried this. I'd just like to believe what they say in Bakuman, even though it's probably unrealistic. "All that matters is that it's interesting. If it's interesting, it'll get serialized."
    But my work isn't interesting yet. Not any stories I came up with, and my art isn't jump level by any stretch of the imagination, but yeaaahhh. That's why I want to practice now!

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. This whole thing ending is putting me in such a Bakuman mood, I really like it.

dear mods, by the way, in case we're too off topic: I know it's not DIRECTLY related to Bakuman in the obvious sense, but this discussion is obviously so Bakuman centered and so inspired by the series that... I just don't think you could say it doesn't fit here. I think it completely belongs here, especially with Bakuman ending and all. It's seeing what the series is making people do, don't you think?
    Not that any mod said anything yet, but I just feel like we're straying too much from talking directly about Bakuman. But then again, this thread IS about what Bakuman made you feel/do/whatever, so it does fit.

16. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel much the same.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

did bakuman end naturally or it was more of a ratings thing?

Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

It ended naturally, it wasn't bad on the polls enough to get cancelled. It only ended because they wanted it to.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member pseudorca's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Really sad to see Bakuman end, but the way it ended, it's just perfect
    Would've liked to see more of Akito, Eiji, and everyone from Team Fukuda once more, but I'm not complaining, after all in the end, it is about these two

Anyway, been reading the previous posts, and I do sincerely wish you guys all the best! Good luck with what you're about to undertake, I mean, who knows what a single discussion board post might lead to, right?
    Heck, that could even be an awesome story!

Most importantly, have fun doing it!

...and that's why ninjas need to carry isotonic drinks...

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

It was a great way for Bakuman to end. Maybe we could've had a few extra chapters, but it was great for it to end this way. I thought that we could've seen a panel of current Takagi and Kaya, not just flashbacks, but it was still wonderful. I'll miss having Bakuman as one of my weekly series to read.

I hope for quite a bit out of Ohba/Obata's next manga.

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeing this manga end has a really bittersweet feeling for me. On one hand, I am truly happy that it got a good ending that wasn't too dragged out (though I still maintain that there were certain arcs that were a bit "useless" in terms of overall plot progression). On the other, I am deeply saddened to see the ending of a series I have grown so attached to. I think Bakuman is the first series I've been this attached to that has ended.

Part of the attachment I feel for this series was definitely because of two big reasons, the first being the time I spent translating the series, and the second being my stint here on MH as the Bakuman moderator. I don't regret any of it, though it took up a lot of my time (Bakuman is a terribly wordy series). A big thank you to the MRI amalgam group for bringing Bakuman in high quality to all us fans, and for being great people to work with while I was on the team Serving as the Bakuman moderator while I was a green (and later when I was a blue as well) was a great experience in many ways. You members really made this section a nice cozy home, and rarely caused too much trouble for me as a mod. Though my activity here on MH has plummeted due to IRL commitments, I am proud to say I hail(ed) from the Bakuman section

This series, and this section, will always have a special place in my heart

I'm looking forward to future collaborations between Ohba and Obata. With the vast differences between Death Note and Bakuman, who knows what kind of adventure their next manga could bring? And even if they don't end up working together, I still look forward to whatever new offerings the two of them bring to the manga world.

25. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast