Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: What's the Story With Dr. Minami?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What's the Story With Dr. Minami?

First off, I thought he was a good guy after the Slepnir battle. But then, it seemed like he became pro-Sora for whatever reason. Whose side is this obnoxious, chatty, anti-religious guy on exactly? And for what purpose is he doing whatever he's doing?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the Story With Dr. Minami?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewkid View Post
    First off, I thought he was a good guy after the Slepnir battle. But then, it seemed like he became pro-Sora for whatever reason. Whose side is this obnoxious, chatty, anti-religious guy on exactly? And for what purpose is he doing whatever he's doing?
    Minami is on whatever side fits his agenda, whatever the fuck he's planning it has yet to be revealed. I'm sure we'll see some sad story about his youth that made him the way he is.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity warbandit66's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

He's an aging hipster so he aligns himself with whatever movement is least favoured by the mainstream masses.
    Jiraiya: His hair are the best

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

But isn't a hipster itself mainstream? So that means hes join the side most favored.
    Quote Originally Posted by warbandit66 View Post
    He's an aging hipster so he aligns himself with whatever movement is least favoured by the mainstream masses.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member suarhnir's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

oyos

omg... i remember trying to figure the whole minami thing out and for the longest time, i was sure about there being 2 minami's (one who was helpful like the one that helped gazelle and kaito and one that was 'this is how genius is made' in orca's flashback). one of my arguments was the different letters on the hands because there is actually different letters on the same hand between a 'long haired' minami and the 'paper airplane' minami. for now, we simply have a case of o!g fail on consistency, unless he fixes the plot hole with a minami flashback and his changing hair lengths and letters on the fingernails.

in the end, i guess we do just have a pretty much megalomaniac scientist on a crusade against gravity/physics/god.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member DragonOsman2's Avatar
    Country
    Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems O!G is now trying to tell us that Dr. Minami was in disguise when he gave the fusion Bagram to Sora; if this is true, then the Minami with long hairs is just a disguise, though that in itself is an inconsistency since we've seen flashbacks with the long-haired Minami inside the Tower, and also that same long-haired Minami with Orca, Arthur, and the rest when they were being researched on, and also during their training.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

oyos

if there really is only one minami, then my big question is where he gets his nails done because there are points in the story where the letters on the same hand are different in different flashbacks which could very well be o!g fail but if he was purposely going around in disguise from time to time, then i suppose changing those letters would be important because it's one of minami's distinguishing characteristics.

Country
    Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, he could get the lettering nail polish changed for the disguise.

As for the nail polish being one of his defining characteristics, well, Nike also has the same nail polish, with the same words ("Dare Devil").

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DragonOsman2 View Post
    Yeah, he could get the lettering nail polish changed for the disguise.

As for the nail polish being one of his defining characteristics, well, Nike also has the same nail polish, with the same words ("Dare Devil").
    oyos

actually, minami has 'dear devil' with one of his thumbs marked with a design... i also never noticed that nike had that on his nails, unless you are referring to the orca flashback (which i thought was minami but thinking on it now, the build and hair matches nike better).

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there is only one Dr. Minami. His appearance changing over the year's isn't enough evidence to speculate the existence of a twin or clone.

Near as I can tell he's a typical scientist. As such such he wants to see the fruits of his research achieve their full potential no matter the cost. He created the gravity children. If Sora becomes god then Dr. Minami is someone who created god. In the fight between Dr. Minami vs. God, Dr. Minami wins if Sora wins. If Sora is defeated by Ikki then Dr. Minami loses. From the start, Dr. Minami (like a lot of scientists) has gone about his business in hopes of beating God. We've seen this explored some many chapters ago. I believe it was around the time Ikki and Nue were going out. Dr. Minami was commenting on Ikki and said something along the lines of, "Hmm, this God isn't half bad after all." In this manner he was critiquing his opponent (God) through his (God's) creation (Ikki). Dr. Minami aimed to create a superior human, a superior breed of beast. This entire manga is about Dr. Minami's war against God.

I'd say he's one helluva chessmaster because everything that has transpired has been guided by his hands more or less.

Country
    Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suarhnir View Post
    oyos

actually, minami has 'dear devil' with one of his thumbs marked with a design... i also never noticed that nike had that on his nails, unless you are referring to the orca flashback (which i thought was minami but thinking on it now, the build and hair matches nike better).
    It's "Dare Devil," with a skull design marking the remaining fingernail. But yeah, I could be mistaken about Nike having the same nail polish . . . in the latest chapter, he doesn't have it on, so unless he removed it, I'm mistaken.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DragonOsman2 View Post
    It's "Dare Devil," with a skull design marking the remaining fingernail. But yeah, I could be mistaken about Nike having the same nail polish . . . in the latest chapter, he doesn't have it on, so unless he removed it, I'm mistaken.
    oyos

from these images, it's spelling 'dear devil'

minami from sleipnir battle
    http://www.mangahere.com/manga/air_gear/v26/c244/9.html <-- right hand index finger is 'e', middle is 'a' ring is 'r'; left '?-e-v-?-l"
    http://www.mangahere.com/manga/air_g...6/c244/11.html <-- pinky is some kind of winged thing like a bat
    http://www.mangahere.com/manga/air_g...6/c245/14.html <-- his index is on the trigger so you can't see 'e', his thumb is 'd'

minami with long hair or nike?
    http://www.mangahere.com/manga/air_gear/v21/c194/7.html<-- right hand with different letters 'd-d-e-v-l'

minami when giving bagram
    http://www.mangahere.com/manga/air_g...4/c118/17.html<-- left hand with '?-d-e-v-l'

sleipnir flashback
    http://www.mangahere.com/manga/air_g...7/c254/11.html<-- left hand '?-e-v-i-l'

gazelle flashback
    http://www.mangahere.com/manga/air_g...0/c295/17.html<-- right hand '?-e-a-r-*bat/dragon'; left hand '?-e-v-i-l'

even when o!g couldn't spell devil right, he consistently had the short haired and eccentric minami with 'd-e-a-r-*bat/dragon' on the right hand. the orca flashback is a bit iffy but it could be nike since nike can have hair like that when its not tied back, though i've never seen any letters on nike's fingers in any scene that i can recall.

Country
    Saudi Arabia
    Post Thanks / Like

Nike wouldn't say, "This is how you create a genius" as if he was the one who made them. That's definitely Dr. Minami.

New Reply