Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Beelzebub Then and Now

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Beelzebub Then and Now

What got you hooked to Beelzebub and why are you still reading it? Discuss about the series at it's beginning and what it is now. Which parts do you like the most, what arcs and events caught your attention the most? What do you think is the future for this series. Would you say that some parts are better than others? To put it simply Bellzebub Then or Beelzebub now?

Post away!

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted lawlett-kun's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beelzebub Then and Now

i started reading Beelzebub because M3J recomended it to me. Should say thanks i guess. Its a rrrreally interesting read. My fav arc is the current one. When i was reading i was like always waiting for Oga to start fighting Demons. Hmmm also can say that the 7 knights arc was cool

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member masgrande's Avatar
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Post Thanks / Like

So the picture of Oga trying different smiles on Beel i someones sig and I wanted to know just what the heck was wrong with them. The Akumeno Academy arc is also my favorite and I can't wait to see how it's going to end.
    please click on them to help them grow.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just browsing different manga and thought, hey this one looks cool!
    and it also gives off a lot of shounen jump vibes(I had no idea it was running in jump) so I started reading it.
    First chapter made me laugh so much and so were the following chapters. I couldn't stop and got hooked on it
    all the way until the st.ishimiya arc where it starts to slow down a little.
    I'm still enjoying the quality humor it delivers now along with really cool action.

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I first picked up randomly out of boredom and was impressed by the extremely well written first chapter. The whole Oda presenting his story to Furuichi as a fable and referring to himself as "the kindhearted young man" was just inspired.

What's kept me interested though is the strong cast of characters that has been built up. A problem I often have with series that feature a strong comedy focus is that, aside from the main cast, the characters typically aren't that interesting. More that a few One Piece arcs seemed like that to me. Beelzebub doesn't even seem to suffer from that..

I think the main reason for this is that the arc's have been so all inclusive that characters just don't get abandoned or ignored for long periods of time. The result of which is that pretty much every character that has been introduced has been developed to the point that they could star in their own chapter and it would be a chapter I would actually want to read. To me that says great things about where this series is headed.

I like a good comedy, but I LOVE a good comedy with fun cast and interesting storyline.

------------------------------------------

Recent chapters also seem to me like they might be a sign that the author is considering injecting a pinch of drama into the mix as well. I'm pretty excited about the idea of that. Gintama has shown me that manga style comedy and drama can work together brilliantly. If Beelzebub could produce those same kind of "serious moments" without diminishing the lighthearted humor it might advance to being my favorite series.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Aki's sig made me wanna read Beelzebub. I got into it because it was hilarious with some action mixed in, but it was the humor that kept me going. I personally think the humor's still there, even if people disagree. It's kept going strong for me, although there have been some boring chapters. Not sure what arc's my favorite, they've all been great. I have been into seeing demons be more active though, and seeing Oga fight them.
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I was intrigued by the title. I'm not sure I followed it weekly in the beginning, but at one point I tried to look at the different jump series and it has certainly become one of my favorite. I especially like the humor of the serie.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Black Hawk's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I start reading it at Chapter 3, a friend introduce me Beelzebub. He like the same kind of Humour as me. So i start it reading till now, with out any break. For me in Beelzebub was still the comedy the important Point. As start as a Gag Manga, with sometimes black Humour. I mean the first training arc in the Mountain Baby Beel Special Training, start with OP and Naruto trainings Arc. That alone let the Chapter looks like caustic Humour. On that fact the Action is only a part of the shounen manga.

Also important is Oga, a shounen Charachter who loves and like Fighting. And everytime the badass Main Charchter, what is rare in shounen manga.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I also first started reading the series based on the premise. Its just so different from other shonen manga I've read, and the idea of a sociopathic deliquent bonding with a cute baby is just awesome!

Its great to hear other people having read the series from the beginning.

I think the way Beelzebub has progressed has made it all the more special. I know that Jump Readers really disliked the most recent training arc, but I think its great that we're getting a little more drama. Drama, to me, makes the comedic moments all the more sweeter! And on top of that, Beelzebub has remained really self-aware of itself. The training with Suiten Ikaruga may have not been laugh-out-loud funny, but I really loved how bordline meta it was, and how it kept poking fun at itself.

Plus, I love how the manga acknowledges that most of the enemies are just fodder.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

i started reading beelzebub when only 7 chapters were released, am one of the first to start the series in that way. i left it off mid way because all of a sudden things started to look more like action manga rather than Gag which i thought it primarily was.
    Picked it up again as i had nothing else to do and got hooked again am upt o date with the scans now

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I began reading when it was at fifty chapters, but from how fast I was reading through them I could hardly tell, when I was caught up I was like "AW! THATS IT? I GOTTA WAIT NOW?!"

I think I was still trying to find other jump manga I could read other than reborn and one piece, and when the others didn't Intrest me I found this, I have a thing about demons in manga so I was looked it off at first but then I decided, ah, what the hell, I'm bored, and my goodness this series amazed me. I was having so much fun laughing I completely forgot about the whole demon thing, and when I remembered it I was like "AW F*CK IT, THIS IS AWESOME!"

I love a good comedy, I mostly look for them in anime and manga and this one is one of the cream of the crop! A problem I had with reborn was that once I got to the time travel arc, the humor was almost non existant, and yeah the action was ok, but I went into reborn because it was funny! Beelzebub not only tops reborns humor, but it also KEPT IT. I mean yes the series has slowed down abit but its still funny as hell and i STILL have chapters where I nearly pass out from laughing! I also like the characters, I had to get used to some but now I enjoy them all! I thought beelzebub was hilariously awesome before and it still stays true now!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member maravish's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

started reading when chapter 1 was out. was really bored and it was a new manga so i figured i might as well. loved it lol

in the beginning it was just mostly humor but now its starting to pay more attention to story line

New Reply