Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Tatsumi Oga

  1. #1
    Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    ...
    Country
    Pakistan
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,588
    Post Thanks / Like

    Tatsumi Oga

    Does he really need an introductory post? We can summarize by saying, Oga probably one of the most delinquent Shounen hero.Anyway, we can use this thread to have more in-depth discussion about Oga and his quest to raise Beelzebub...to destroy the planet

  2. #2
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Country
    South Korea
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    7,645
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tatsumi Oga

    Quote Originally Posted by thornofcarrion View Post
    Does he really need an introductory post? We can summarize by saying, Oga probably one of the most delinquent Shounen hero.Anyway, we can use this thread to have more in-depth discussion about Oga and his quest to raise Beelzebub...to destroy the planet
    srsly thorny!! oga doesnt need intro. epic character is epic.

  3. #3
    Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    ...
    Country
    Pakistan
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,588
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tatsumi Oga

    Haha, indeed. I loved his attitude, mindlessly jumping into fights. Ironic isn't it, seeing a delinquent as he is, carrying a nude baby on his shoulder / head. Which one of his battle was most interesting for you guys so far?

  4. #4
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Country
    South Korea
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    7,645
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tatsumi Oga

    when oga pwned those demons, using milk time . I think was pretty awesome.

  5. #5
    News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    8th Day
    Country
    Singapore
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,105
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tatsumi Oga

    That still doesn't match up to his fight with Toujou
    that was freaking great. That fight really had alot of depth into it unlike previous fights.
    You could tell that he was really going all out.

  6. #6
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Pirulito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Black Rome
    Country
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,305
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tatsumi Oga

    Translations of Oga's profile:


    Quote Originally Posted by Black Hawk View Post
    Tatsumi Oga (15)

    • Height: 5 feet 10,4 inches
    • Born on 31 of August
    • He like:
    Command other person, to get on the knees
    Korokke
    • He Hate:
    Long Talking
    • Since the Middleschool Oga get called, Oga the Demon Ogre. Furichi give him that
    name, I think.
    • First of all, I want to add the Kanji word Man/Manhood in the family name.
    Later my Editor Ask me. Is there any potential relationships, about the three
    different kanji Words in his family name. After that, when I remember right I got that
    picture in my Head.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaluein View Post
    Character profiles

    Tatsumi Oga (15) - 1m79 - Born on August, 31st
    Likes : People apologizing and kneeling, potato cakes (I can't find the right word)
    Dislikes : Endless stories
    Author's comments : In middle school, he was given nicknames like "the demon" or "Oga the Demon Ogre", but they were mainly created by Furuichi. I think I wanted a name with the man's ideogram (Oga's "o"). Then, I remember that my editor asked me if I added in purpose animals ideograms ("ga" = deer, "tatsu" = dragoon, "mi" = snake). "Huh? That's right..." I replied.
    ---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

    What I like the most about Oga is his demon/scary face, with shark teeth. It is completely psycho!

    Se entendeu essa frase, entre nessa bagaça

  7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  8. #7
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cave of Wonders
    Country
    Pakistan
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tatsumi Oga

    I love how Oga really hasn't given any shonen speeches so far....and now I know why. xD (he hates long stories...)

    So far Oga's dismotivation to do anything other than survive is a pretty unique trait in this kind of manga. I love how he's realizing he wants to be Beel's dad, but also owning up to the fact that its going to be hard to prevent the destruction of the world in the process.

    I think its cool that the mangaka thought a lot on how to make Oga's name sound as manly as possible. Though I'm not entirely sure how threatening "deer" is suppose to be?

  9. #8
    I hate shovel 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Country
    Uganda
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,291
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tatsumi Oga

    Bump. Sorry for making a new post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    I think its cool that the mangaka thought a lot on how to make Oga's name sound as manly as possible. Though I'm not entirely sure how threatening "deer" is suppose to be?
    I read it somewhere that Tamura wanted to potrait Oga as a dragon (竜 / Ryuu) and Toujou as a tiger taking "Tora"(虎) from Hidetora.
    What's funny is like you said, "巳" (mi/shi)in Oga's name means "Snake" and "鹿" (shika) means "Deer". I wonder where's the "dragon" part of his name

    Edit : My bad. Tatsumi could be "dragon" too I feel stupid because I didn't read the post above.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------

    Probably I'm biased, but I don't understand why recently readers tend to... underestimate Oga's power.
    I read comments from everywhere, saying that Oga's power without baby Beel is "ordinary". I think that is an understatement. Toujou might be more "beast"-like (or probably stronger) than Oga, but come on, Oga defeated Toujou, without Beel's power. Saying that his "basic" power not special I believe, is unfair.
    Last edited by Doraku; April 30, 2012 at 09:36 AM.

  10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  11. #9
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cave of Wonders
    Country
    Pakistan
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tatsumi Oga

    Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Edit : My bad. Tatsumi could be "dragon" too I feel stupid because I didn't read the post above.
    I was going to add "doesn't Tatsu mean dragon" but you figured it out yourself. xD Tatsuki from Bleach is a girl with the word "dragon" in her name, so I've always remembered that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Probably I'm biased, but I don't understand why recently readers tend to... underestimate Oga's power.
    I read comments from everywhere, saying that Oga's power without baby Beel is "ordinary". I think that is an understatement. Toujou might be more "beast"-like (or probably stronger) than Oga, but come on, Oga defeated Toujou, without Beel's power. Saying that his "basic" power not special I believe, is unfair.
    Beelzebub is never going to be about power-levels and breaking the limit, so I can understand why people would say that Oga's power is "ordinary". But comparing it to Toujou IS really unfair, mainly because its a classic favoritism trap we all do when we read manga: we think the minor characters are more interesting, mainly because we know less about them than the main characters.

    I think the main difference in Oga and Toujou's strenth has to do more with accountibility and responsibility than actual strength. Since Oga's mastered Black Techs, he knows how much more powerful he is than the average mook. He also has Beel to look out for, as well as Furuichi and more recently, Hilda. Essentially, Oga's become a family man. xD While Toujou's personal life is very unstable (has to get temp jobs, never had a family), he is responsible only for himself. And I think the strength you can afford to show off is directly proportionate to how much you're willing to lose.

  12. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  13. #10
    I hate shovel 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Country
    Uganda
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,291
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tatsumi Oga

    Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    I was going to add "doesn't Tatsu mean dragon" but you figured it out yourself. xD Tatsuki from Bleach is a girl with the word "dragon" in her name, so I've always remembered that.



    Beelzebub is never going to be about power-levels and breaking the limit, so I can understand why people would say that Oga's power is "ordinary". But comparing it to Toujou IS really unfair, mainly because its a classic favoritism trap we all do when we read manga: we think the minor characters are more interesting, mainly because we know less about them than the main characters.

    I think the main difference in Oga and Toujou's strenth has to do more with accountibility and responsibility than actual strength. Since Oga's mastered Black Techs, he knows how much more powerful he is than the average mook. He also has Beel to look out for, as well as Furuichi and more recently, Hilda. Essentially, Oga's become a family man. xD While Toujou's personal life is very unstable (has to get temp jobs, never had a family), he is responsible only for himself. And I think the strength you can afford to show off is directly proportionate to how much you're willing to lose.
    I forgot that "竜" does not only mean "ryuu", but also "tatsu","ryou","rou" or,"ise" (Besides dragon, "tatsu" can be translated as "imperial","fear" or even "intelligent" WHAAAT?). I had to look to Kanji dictionary before I realized my mistake and knew it has already explained in the post above

    -----------
    That's true. Oga and Toujou have different personalities, while one of them has serious ambition to become stronger than the others, the other has ambition to get stronger only if he wants to protect something (typical shounen cliché protagonist personality ). I agree with minor characters favoritism too, since what I'm insinuating is not only "power" per se, but also Oga's "charm" as the main character in this series is gradually fading away (concluding from comments across the internet, so my opinion is not reliable).
    Last edited by Doraku; April 30, 2012 at 07:25 PM.

  14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  15. #11
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cave of Wonders
    Country
    Pakistan
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tatsumi Oga

    Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    I forgot that "竜" does not only mean "ryuu", but also "tatsu","ryou","rou" or,"ise" (Besides dragon, "tatsu" can be translated as "imperial","fear" or even "intelligent" WHAAAT?). I had to look to Kanji dictionary before I realized my mistake and knew it has already explained in the post above
    Oh so you can understand Kanji? That's awesome. If you don't mind, could you help decipher other characters' names? I dunno how being intelligent fits in with Oga's personality, but he is wise at times. Like when he helped Kanzaki with Futaba's rowdiness, or when he told En off. Its not really intelligence but its a kind of sensitivity a lot of heroes possess.


    Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    That's true. Oga and Toujou have different personalities, while one of them has serious ambition to become stronger than the others, the other has ambition to get stronger only if he wants to protect something (typical shounen cliché protagonist personality ). I agree with minor characters favoritism too, since what I'm insinuating is not only "power" per se, but also Oga's "charm" as the main character in this series is gradually fading away (concluding from comments across the internet, so my opinion is not reliable).
    I think ambition is too strong of a word, or at least, its for a more serious manga.

    So do you think Oga's charm has decreased for you? I think part of the problem is that he hasn't had a break to do whatever he really wants, for a long while. But still, Oga's dismotivation to do anything (unless its right in front of him) is part of his charm, at least for me. He's a total goofball, and his inability to give a shit to people's pretentions actually make him less cliche, to me anyhow.

  16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  17. #12
    I hate shovel 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Country
    Uganda
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,291
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tatsumi Oga

    Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    So do you think Oga's charm has decreased for you? I think part of the problem is that he hasn't had a break to do whatever he really wants, for a long while. But still, Oga's dismotivation to do anything (unless its right in front of him) is part of his charm, at least for me. He's a total goofball, and his inability to give a shit to people's pretentions actually make him less cliche, to me anyhow.
    Not for me, but for some of the readers. Honestly why Beelzebub is interesting (for me) is because of Oga (and Beel). Oga as a character is already attractive enough as the reason why I keep reading Beelzebub week after week.

    But apparently his carefree attitude or as you wrote "hasn't had a break to do whatever he really wants, for a long while" is also the reason why some readers (although unconsciously or not blatantly express their opinion) are not really enthusiastic anymore with him. Toujou is a beast, Himekawa is a rich bishounen, Kanzaki is a Yakuza boss's son, Aoi is a tsundere girl, but Oga is... "just" Oga. Well, of course for me a parent figure for a future demon king is already interesting enough, but maybe some people see Oga is not glittering enough to be the main protagonist.

  18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  19. #13
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cave of Wonders
    Country
    Pakistan
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tatsumi Oga

    Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Not for me, but for some of the readers. Honestly why Beelzebub is interesting (for me) is because of Oga (and Beel). Oga as a character is already attractive enough as the reason why I keep reading Beelzebub week after week.

    But apparently his carefree attitude or as you wrote "hasn't had a break to do whatever he really wants, for a long while" is also the reason why some readers (although unconsciously or not blatantly express their opinion) are not really enthusiastic anymore with him. Toujou is a beast, Himekawa is a rich bishounen, Kanzaki is a Yakuza boss's son, Aoi is a tsundere girl, but Oga is... "just" Oga. Well, of course for me a parent figure for a future demon king is already interesting enough, but maybe some people see Oga is not glittering enough to be the main protagonist.
    I guess people have their preferences...though I know if I can't like the main protagonist, it greatly reduces the thrill I get from reading it. There are always people who are going to complain about things like that, but I always like to think they are in the minority.

    Actually, one of the things I flat out love about Oga is how he lives his life despite all the stuff that's happened to him, fatherhood and all. If this was a serious manga, maybe Oga would be more concerned with who Baby Beel's next threat will be. At worst he might want to become strong enough to raise a coup to take out the demon king so that the threat against humanity tides over for another odd millenia. That would be boring for me, and I'm glad instead Oga lives his life on a day to day basis. That is the mark of a true father, to me anyhow.

    ---------- Post added May 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was May 02, 2012 at 09:47 AM ----------

    After reading 156, I am now really curious to know: What kind of job do you imagine Oga having after high school? I can't imagine him going to college, for some odd reason.

  20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  21. #14
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Dolly12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Country
    Vietnam
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tatsumi Oga

    Quote Originally Posted by Teeba View Post
    After reading 156, I am now really curious to know: What kind of job do you imagine Oga having after high school? I can't imagine him going to college, for some odd reason.
    He may choose to follow Zen and Onizuka's footsteps :-) Or be a royal adviser for Beel

  22. #15
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cave of Wonders
    Country
    Pakistan
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tatsumi Oga

    Teacher is fine, but he can't be royal advisor to Beel until Beel ascends the throne, can he?

    I read a fic where Oga works as a security guard after high school in order to save money for Beel, that seems more up Oga's alley. I can't...I mean, the pay would obviously be decent as a teacher, but Oga isn't really Onizuka. His circle of responsibility only seems to extend as far as Beel, Hilda, and Furuichi, but its not really the same as being a teacher.

    Then again, considering how Oga is supposed to mimick Saotome's youth, being a teacher would probably continue the gag. You know what would be really funny? If Furuichi ended up being the bread winner for both Oga and Hilda.

  23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts