Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you love about Togashi's style?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you love about Togashi's style?

I still can't comprehend how Togashi went from a rom-com that got cancelled to a so simple tournament manga YYH (Which was verryyyyy good.. But a tourny manga nevertheless which basically involved the characters going and figthing in a tourny.. But the execution was very good) to Level E which was.. Like a prequel to some of the ideas of HXH which is a complete mind-fuck! I mean woow.. Togashi you have outdone yourself! Bravo!

BTW does anyone have the Togashi comic? The one where its kinda like Bakuman it was made in Korea IIRC, it has bad drawings but its funny lol.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you love about Togashi's style?

What I love mostly about Togashi style is, without doubt, how He handles expression of the characters. Art wise, the backgrounds when he describes a feeling are also incredible. And above all what I love the most is how simple (design wise) most character are and the complexity being in their personalities and techniques.

PS: Cemzoo, right? :O
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I like how his characters are complex without falling in the trap of 'everyone is actually a good guy' or 'everyone is actually a bad guy'. In the end, Hisoka is still a seriously messed up bad guy and Gon is still mostly a good person. Also, he doesn't try to apologize for his characters having flaws. For example Gon's recklessness gets his friend into some needless trouble. In most manga, for being the main character, we'd hear about how even though this is a guy who is likely to get you killed, we should all still love him for his greatness. In HXH we see his friends openly criticize Gon for being basically crazy, and he does pay the price for being reckless. It's like the 2 choose 1 scenario way back at the Hunter exam: Reality can't always let you have everything your way. Sometimes you got to make some sacrifices and lose something to protect something else, and sometimes you just end up losing them all.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sachsenhesse's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

the fact that he actually follow his thoughts and rules in the manga... also the complicated things in hxh i mean come on... greed island everyone? this was an entire mmorpg-card game designed for nen training xD who the hell think about such things? then the abilities, just crazy from simple but powerful techniques like bungee gum to the damn dartboard of the ants, give him an theme and he will bring it to work

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

@Uriel: yeah perroloco from CZ, I remember you too from there, actually I asked you some time ago IIRC on a HXH thread or in the WSJ thread but you must have not read the posts because you never answered LOL.
    Offtopic mode Off..

On-Topic

I also like how Togashi's villians are always like crazy, but more like almost surreally too crazy, like Shinobu from YYH or Hisoka from HXH.
    Last edited by perroloco; November 02, 2011 at 08:32 PM.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Host Samurai's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I simply love HxH due to it not being black and white but grey. It's not your average shounen, where you can already predict an outcome (I'm looking at you *cough* Bleach *cough*). But Togashi's greatest piece of work are his characters, you can actually understand why they act like they do. Kurapica for example losing his loved ones is on a quest for revenge and our main character, who is naive in every single aspect acts out of his character, when his loved one got brutally murdered. I'm looking forward to see how Gon will perceive the world and how he will evolve from that because he has experienced the same thing Kurapica has.

Credits:Shinsatsu

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually being grey is a pretty cheap trick in most stuff that involves a story. I saw an interview with a director, and he says you want your heroes to have flaws and your villians to have redeeming qualities, but at the end of the day your hero is still your hero and the villian isn't someone you're supposed to sympathsize with. Too many bad stories figure if someone has two sides to the character that automatically makes him balanced or whatever.

HXH, though, does an exceptional job at giving dimensions to character while retaining their overall alignment. Kurapika, for example, has his own share of problems, but he's still a good guy who values his friend above his hatred. The notable exception would be the Ants, but the Ants are more of depiction of an alien race that's completely opposed to humanity's existence. For the most parts, most of the major Ants characters are closer to what a 'hero' is compared to their human counterpart, but then the point of the Ant arc is that the greatest hero for a race that humanity cannot possibly coexist with has to be the greatest villian to humanity regardless of what qualities he may possess.

11. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member chei's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Togashi is simply a GREAT storyteller -- he can moved you with the most minimal depiction, and every chapter is packed with varieties-comedy, suspense, actions, ideas and mind-exploration. But most of all, I love that there's this cult flavor in his work that feels sinister, creepy, unsettling, crazy but also hilarious, but he also manage to reach the mainstream audience as well.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Philippine
    Post Thanks / Like

what i love most about togashi's style in hxh is the unpredictability of it. it's like... he disrupts flow, you know. he throws these stuff on you, you make assumptions, and then the next chapter he overturns everything and leaves you blown away. and the thing is, he doesn't do it in a cop-out and asspull way but in a way that is so damn creative that you couldn't have seen it coming but at the same time have been foreshadowed enough.

i don't get this kick in any other manga. that's why even though i know hxh is not the "best", it remains my favorite series. ever.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Egypt
    Post Thanks / Like

first,yes what chikky said that's one of HxH strongest point

2-breaking the cliche paterrn of most manga ,for example the cliche of unloke that villian to fight his boss,etc for example kuroro was kiddnaped wow that was unexpected,let me see tobi or Aizen being kiddnaped yet maintain their badass statu

3-converstions of pure genius

example 1:,here is part of king and komugi converstion
    king:what about pitting you arm
    komugi: sorry,I only pit my life

wow,did the strongest creature in HxH verse just get owned by a blind fragile girl

example 2:kuroro and kurapica's converstion in the car

kuroro is kidnapped,beaten yet he is the one in control and badass

example 3:king and netero

king:you could only wish to exchange words with me
    netero:words ?,smirk do you wish to know your name

those are genius level conversations stuff,you don't see those every day

4-his characterization
    they are deep,complex and strong mentally
    togashi gives you the feeling that the characters are moving the story not the story moving them

5-use of intelligence and the respect for the reader's mind

6-as for the art,his art isnt the best (yet I think he makes probably the best designs,Hisoka,kuroro,zoldyeks)
    but his strongest point is that togashi is a master at conveying the sense of movement,he's the best at that

Togashi of the past took what toriyama started (fighting shonen manga) to the next level by YYh (where naruto and bleact ,etc are currently at) Togashi of the present took it into even more level a delicate,intelligent and mature level ,so right now,Togashi and only togashi give that level,I mean by level that different evolved thing of the preestablished fighting shonen
    Last edited by hgfdsahjkl; November 04, 2011 at 09:23 AM.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there's anything too clever about Netero's using Meryem's name against him. It's more of a freak accident that Netero even knows this, and on top of that he's also lucky that Meryem actually cares enough about his name to make a deal. If Meryem's just a generic shonen villian he probably would've renamed himself something that means 'God' and call it a day so far as names go. But Meryem's 'the only thing you can exchange with me is words' is quite clever.

Sometimes there are too much words on the screen. It makes sense when Knuckles has his 'my life flashed before my eyes' moment against Yupi, but it is not universally appropriate. I know some of that stuff is necessarily since a lot of the stuff in HXH needs to be explained in mid-combat, and it makes more sense than most Shonen "Let me explain what my ability does for no reason whatsoever" but even then, it's not always needed. I prefer the earlier fights like Ubogin versus Kurapika, or Zeno + Silva versus Kuroro. It's mostly action not people talking/thinking about their strategy, though it's not just two guys punching each other to death either. You can do the explaining after everything's settled, like Kurapika did versus Ubogin.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Egypt
    Post Thanks / Like

it was a clever move from togashi and it shows he planned that far a head,my talking here is about togashi

yeah as far as king vs netero.king was more awesome in my eyes and I don't mean the fighting, and generally he is one of HxH best characters

personaly,I loved the narration for the invasion part
    Last edited by hgfdsahjkl; November 04, 2011 at 10:23 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kiba's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Hunter X Hunter
    for
    the awesome Story
    awesome characters
    strength of the characters is good balanced
    even the art i love because it haves something what reminds me still on the old times
    when i beginn reading hunter x hunter first

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Meryem comes off as a successful all powerful all knowing entity. Sure there's a lot of such characters in fiction but usually they don't act in a convincing way. Aside from not knowing about the existence of the Rose, pretty much everything in HXH, aside from playing Gungi against Komugi, was something Meryem foresaw.

Some narration in the invasion arc is good, but I'm not convinced it's universally good. Some of it is needed, but I think some of it get in the way of the action. I guess part of the issue is that there's actually very little action in the invasion arc since most of the matches are incredibly lopsided, so there can't be much action anyway so all you can do is narrate it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Host Samurai's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    I think Meryem comes off as a successful all powerful all knowing entity. Sure there's a lot of such characters in fiction but usually they don't act in a convincing way. Aside from not knowing about the existence of the Rose, pretty much everything in HXH, aside from playing Gungi against Komugi, was something Meryem foresaw.

Some narration in the invasion arc is good, but I'm not convinced it's universally good. Some of it is needed, but I think some of it get in the way of the action. I guess part of the issue is that there's actually very little action in the invasion arc since most of the matches are incredibly lopsided, so there can't be much action anyway so all you can do is narrate it.
    It was thanks to the narration that the invasion arc was successful. I mean Togashi did a very good job in conveying the tension and most importantly the emotions of the characters to us readers via narration, if he had done the usual bubbles then I think the invasion arc would definetly not be much enjoyable. The bubbles would be all over the place with us readers trying to deduce their thoughts, speech and so on. The narration was well done and fitted perfectly. And don't forget that the fights, which occured during the invasion happened really fast! That was the best solution Togashi could have come up with without messing the Arc. IMO it was scene like this that made the invasion so epic!!!

http://www.tenmanga.com/chapter/Hunt...ter274/153505/

http://www.tenmanga.com/chapter/Hunt.../153510-6.html

http://www.tenmanga.com/chapter/Hunt...153516-13.html

Credits:Shinsatsu

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast