Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do you love about Togashi's style?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you love about Togashi's style?

Well, the narration is probably needed because it isn't a fight that's back and forth like most of the earlier fights. Pretty much every fight in the invasion arc involves one side being way stronger and the weaker side having no realistic shot at winning. To put it in Meryem's words, the only thing that can be exchanged is words. If there were no words involved in the Yupi sequence of fights, it'd just be a bunch of guys jump Yupi and then lost anyway, and that'd be pretty stupid.

But sometimes I think the narration was overdone, and it's probably not the narration's fault, but that the fights themselves left no action to be exchanged. I don't really see any tension in the fight themselves, because if you know Togashi's style and evaluate the character strength's objectively, the outcome of just about every fight in the invasion arc was already predetermined. Biscuit once drew a diagram showing even if A is strongest, B, C, or D can still potentailly beat him. But E will never be able to beat A even when A is at his worst and E is at his best, and pretty much every fight in the invasion arc is an equivalent of A versus E, even Pitou versus Super Gon (Super Gon is overwhelmingly stronger).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Art wise---I really like how Togashi "animates" his fights. Good example is Feitan vs Zazan.
    I like how each movement is more calculated and isn't just shown as a bunch of a scribble
    lines that we are somehow supposed to know is the character doing a back flip.

I like the various character designs. However I would prefer if Togashi's style was more consistent. It seems to vary a bit. Also I think Hisoka is looking a bit effeminate and
    no threatening these days. I like Hisoka better when no matter what he look like a cold-blooded murderer. Though I'm sure once Hisoka fights again he will be creepy again.

I like the brutality and violence of Hunter x Hunter. I don't mean to sound like I'm a twisted
    or something (maybe I am) but I like how the violence feels believable and isn't completely
    censored or completely over the top.

storywise---there's a lot I like. The only thing I don't like is the wait.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Although I find the narration in some parts to be overdone, for the most part HXH's narration makes far more sense than the usual "let me explain what my ability is and what strategy I'm using so the opponent can totally figure out how to counter it'. For the most part in Togashi's fights, the fights are relatively slient. You might see words in the page but that represents what peole are thinking, not saying. It's really hard for me to take a fight seriously if it's supposed to involve to sonic-speed characters who can kill each other in a fraction of a second but both characters have no problem talking the entire time. In fact, talking and/or listening to the other guy is usually a very bad idea in HXH. We see that in Kurapika versus Ubogin. Gensuru, Knuckles, and Hisoka also uses talking to their advantage. That said, it's not as powerful as it seems since all the powerful users of HXH generally completely ignore what the other guy is saying and won't even give them a chance to talk to begin with.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Raad's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

- As far as drawing goes, i like it when he draws those realistic portraits of his characters or in some scenes just people in the street. I also especially love his drawing style during York Shin's arc, it really conveyed the dark atmosphere, the assistants too did a wonderful job with the background, and it looks like they're (or he is) back for these last chapters, and I reaaally hope Togashi completely recovers his shape too!
    - The story is a rainbow of pure goodness, the concept of hunter found by Togashi was a genius idea, you get to explore many facets of his world, and if he could or wanted he'd go on and on with that, and I'm sure I'm not the only one wishing for the story to continue forever.
    - Finally the characters, Togashi is able to create a panoply of original characters without falling into manga stereotypes, for example the villains (Hisoka, Genei Ryodan, Meruem, Pariston and soon I hope Jailo), the psychotic characters that I especially love (Hisoka again, Palm, Kikyô Zoldik, Pufu).

HxH will always be to me that shônen that you do not only enjoy but get inspired by!
    Thank you Togashi! (T_T)

5. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member IamJacky's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

- Art: while the art isn't the biggest attraction of this manga, at times the characters can be very beautifully drawn; the fight scenes sometimes lack fluidity, which I believe is one of Togashi's (if any) weak points. However, I enjoyed quite very much the distributions of frames and the flow of the manga as a whole.

- Characters: I'm not too sure about the the characters in HxH, for some reason I'm not very fond of Gon, albeit he's the protagonist, I enjoyed the development of Killua the most; Leorio who recently made his comeback made me realize how awesome he is, though he and Knuckle kind of mirrored in personality, it'd be great to see the two argue though. I'm not fond of Kurapica at all. Most of the Ryodans are awesome. The Z family that we recently get to see are highly entertaining. I may have missed a few here but I really liked the character of Meryem, how he is not only supreme in raw power, but also highly intelligent and prideful, as well as his personality development as a whole down to his last moments with Komugi.

- Plot: The writing, story line and overall world view is simply the best of bestest I've seen in any shounen Manga. Personally I feel that every single arc was highly enjoyable. I personally loved the Ryodan and GI Arcs. Above all, while many are very disappointed at the Ant Arc, I thought the Ant Arc was the epitome of exactly what Togashi is capable of - creating waves after waves of unpredictable, super intense, emotional and philosophical plot lines while superbly entertaining AND logical. Any mangaka can bring a supreme being like Meryem into their story and mix special abilities/strategies to take him down, but how he managed to take down 3 Royal Guards and the King and then ended the arc was simply genius and beautifully done. The only thing I'd want and I'm being very picky and totally unnecessary here, is that I wish it would have been even better if Togashi could throw in some more humor in between seriousness to ease the intensity sometimes.

Anyways, I simply salute Togashi sensei for his brilliance. Hopefully he will continue to deliver.
    Check out my friend's clothing company - Copy & Paste Apparel Repping San Francisco Giants!

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

I just found out other very nice thing Togashi has pulled out very nicely, its a psychological term (Which right now I don't remember) but it basically is like when you are in a conversation with a friend (or group of friends) and you begin to tell a story or an anecdote and you interconnect or make various plots and subplots without even noticing that way you make the people hearing more engached to the story while they ask themselves what's going on on the other open parts of the story.
    Ie. I tell a story to a group of friends.
    "Remember the time we where drinking and then I got so drunk that I began to dance like a monkey and-- Oh also when you bought that monkey from that exotic animal seller that could fight with knives!!- Talking about knives there was this time I got cut with a knife"
    Ok this is a very... Shortened example but I think you guys get the idea, when talking to people without noticing we open threads for other stories.
    Its also a trade of a good story-teller, I have seen various mangakas do this but not in the way Togashi has pulled this..

SPOILERS for the most recent HXH manga chapters:

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Uriel; November 18, 2011 at 04:32 PM.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perroloco View Post
    I still can't comprehend how Togashi went from a rom-com that got cancelled to a so simple tournament manga YYH (Which was verryyyyy good.. But a tourny manga nevertheless which basically involved the characters going and figthing in a tourny.. But the execution was very good) to Level E which was.. Like a prequel to some of the ideas of HXH which is a complete mind-fuck! I mean woow.. Togashi you have outdone yourself! Bravo!

BTW does anyone have the Togashi comic? The one where its kinda like Bakuman it was made in Korea IIRC, it has bad drawings but its funny lol.
    That execution word is my answer. I haven't read any other work of him...but what i love about HxH is that he is meticulous and intelligent with his details and plot. That's why despite this being as filled with supernatural thingies as any other shonens feel so down to earth. He has this gift of making what he writes feel totally possible and most reasonable thing to happen in the confines of his universe. Even he writes his characters like that so at first glance his characterization may seem bland...but its not actually.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the rules he makes up for everything...he leaves no room for speculation, except the direction of the plot...and I definitely like the sense of humor as well

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Host Samurai View Post
    I simply love HxH due to it not being black and white but grey. It's not your average shounen, where you can already predict an outcome (I'm looking at you *cough* Bleach *cough*). But Togashi's greatest piece of work are his characters, you can actually understand why they act like they do. Kurapica for example losing his loved ones is on a quest for revenge and our main character, who is naive in every single aspect acts out of his character, when his loved one got brutally murdered. I'm looking forward to see how Gon will perceive the world and how he will evolve from that because he has experienced the same thing Kurapica has.
    While i do believe Togashi is a good character-writer...i don't think that is the best of his abilities. He treats his characters like a problem to solve,the way he treats his plot. Its a strong suit in plot writing,but i don't think its the best way to write characters. As you said, we can understand why they act like as they do, but we don't exactly feelas they do imo.

Its an interesting way of writing characters, but its not the ideal way imo.

Edit: in fact i believe komugi is the best written character in the whole manga, with the king, Hisoka and palm next.
    Last edited by ashher; November 21, 2011 at 06:57 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Federicoxxx's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

i just love.. the increidble.. similarities.. he made in HxH world and our world..

HxH is..like ours... Ruthless..merciless..and full of people. .ready to kill you and step over you

to obtain what they want AT ANY COST...from pure power to ..any kind of item....

Meteor City (流星街, Ryuuseigai),,is the pure core
    of the worst of HxH...world

is hard to Believe.. but in our world.. places like that also exists..

there is no mercy .. not even for a 12yo like Gon ..

thats why Ging have no problem.. .knowing he is fighting Murderers...assasins.. and any other kind

of very very dangerous people..he want Gon get ..strong.. AT ANY COST....
    Itachi and Nagato..
    F.A.D
    (Friends After Death)

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

i like him because of the hiatus.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha lol jose..
    Anyway I remember other thing I like about Togashi.. I like his doggy-esque avatar, you know the thing author's use to identify themselves like Toriyama's robot or Oda's Fishman (Or is Oda's avatar pandaman??)..
    Anyway I think Togashi really should have included himself as a member of the Zodiac (Dog) haha would have been too funny (and trolling).

Also a long time ago I readed like a fan-made comic (IIIRC the scanlator said it was made on korean or chinese forums) but I cant find it anymore, it was about Togashi IIRC and it was kinda like bakuman (Making manga and all that). Here is a scene of it. The first image with a dog-like man that says iiyo mata.. and other things lol.. Dont know kanji

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member steadynco's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

The main highlight of HXH is the intelligent narrative - thoughts and actions are thoroughly explained and there aren't the major issues with logic that are present in most other shonen. I also love unpredictable storytelling.

Togashi's artwork may not be the prettiest at times but it works well for the story. HXH also has the least regard for keeping the drawings bound to panels and it works wonderfully!

The entire nen ability system is the most realistic and logical system I've ever encountered in manga. I really like how abilities aren't just overpowered and flashy. The naming trend for abilities is pretty cool too, the meaning of/thought behind the ability is shown and the furigana tells you what the user has named his ability (eg. The words "The Unforgivable One" appear with the furigana reading "Pain Packer" when Feitan launches that fireball in the Zazan fight).

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2