Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth buying the manga if you have seen the Anime? Also what other mangas would you recommend?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it worth buying the manga if you have seen the Anime? Also what other mangas would you recommend?

Hello there, I personally have never read a manga series before, but since the Claymore anime was so short I am a bit curious to see what happens next. Right now I have the volumes downloaded on my computer and I am wondering if I should just buy the paperback instead because when I was reading on the computer it didn't seem to feel right. Is there a special way to read a manga(besides reading it backwards)? Should I be analyzing the pages and go through more slowly because I flew through a volume and I didn't get much pleasure from it. I also would like to know if Raki is better in the manga? Does he become at all useful? Please don't answer with a spoiler. He was not the best character when he was portrayed in the anime. I also would like to know if you all know any mangas that I should take a look at since I have not read one before?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Nanozom's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it worth buying the manga if you have seen the Anime? Also what other mangas would you recommend?

Buy the manga in book form.
    Computers and online version in all honor but there is nothing that beats holding the story in your hands.
    There is something of a epic feeling about it and I did actually cry at some points while reading certain scenes in book form than the emotionless response I got by reading the same scene online.
    The feeling is nothing I can explain.
    And the manga is worth to read as it is better than the anime.
    And if you want to find out about Raki then buy the volumes.
    it´s worth it.
    another manga I would recommend is Attack on Titan.
    Maybe because of the similarities between it and claymore?
    (personal opinion.)

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it worth buying the manga if you have seen the Anime? Also what other mangas would you recommend?

Thanks for answering, I guess I will buy the collection and hope that I end up enjoying it. It sounds like online manga is a bit crap compared to having the actual book in your hands. Hopefully I get the same emotional response as you to the book since I spoiled myself with the anime, which in comparison probably was not as good. Is there any good websites to go to, to buy a them or will normal sites like ebay be fine?

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deewreck View Post
    Thanks for answering, I guess I will buy the collection and hope that I end up enjoying it. It sounds like online manga is a bit crap compared to having the actual book in your hands. Hopefully I get the same emotional response as you to the book since I spoiled myself with the anime, which in comparison probably was not as good. Is there any good websites to go to, to buy a them or will normal sites like ebay be fine?
    Oh the online version isn´t crap...but the emotional response is higher with the actual book in the hands.
    And you should probably find the manga in a store close to you...just check online for a store that might sell manga...
    that was what I did.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I live in a small town called Prescott, in Arizona. This is a place where old people go to settle down and trust me, horrible for people like me who are young and plan on leaving as soon as they can. This means that there is not much to do around here. I looked on Google maps and there was not a single place around here. Even our Barnes and Noble was shut down recently on top of it due to lack of business so there is literally no place that I can find manga. All there is, is normal bookstores. So this is why I am asking you for a website.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah okay...
    Ebay should be fine if you trust it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brother Coa's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy Claymore manga, it is excellent.
    I have 13 volumes and save for rest.
    Other than that I would recommend Shingeki, that too is awesome.
    "The universe has many horrors yet to throw at us. This is not the end of our struggle. This is just the beginning of our crusade to save Humanity. Be faithful! Be strong! Be vigilant!"

-Emperor of Mankind.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Claymore1's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You can buy the Claymore volumes on amazon.com too.

11. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Project Spirit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If you check out barnes and noble's online shop, they are doing a buy 2 get 1 free for many viz manga right now, including Claymore.

Being someone who reads things online, I usually buy those manga that I like the most. I feel reading them first helps me want to contribute when I get the ability to. That way I know that I like what I'm buying.

But yes, if you enjoyed the anime, you should enjoy the manga even more. Claymore was actually one of the first manga's I enjoyed, and made me look into more. Pretty sure Claymore volume 4 was my first manga purchase ever.

Also...you could always search for libraries if you have the ability. That's another good way to preview something before you buy it.

13. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh thanks for pointing that deal out, I will take a look.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member wickedsmile's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I really took to Claymore but didn't find any other stories appealing, apart from one. I recommend reading Gunslinger Girl by Yu Aida. The Manga finished at Chapter 100, over a year ago. It's not for the faint of heart, as their are chapters that will probably shock you or have you in tears.

I won't spoil it for you but I believe that you'll be impressed by the Manga's quality.
    I don't want to die. Even if that makeshift family was all nothing more than an illusion, doomed to someday fall apart. I so wish, so wish, it could have lasted the tiniest bit longer. - Norihiro Yagi

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member TStew's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A little late here but wanted to say, YES!

I've since added #23 plus the special edition #8.

Claymore is the first and still the only manga I have ever read. Looking for others myself. Wickedsmile, I might look into your recommendation.
    I started off buy buying chapter 11, since that is where the anime starts to deviate from the manga. I kind of felt weird reading manga, not exactly a kid anymore, but once I got over that I really got sucked into it. I decided I'd like to review the whole story anyhow, and since I liked the series so much I felt like I should support it by buying them anyhow. I got the few they had at my local store and ordered the rest on amazon. I have since enjoyed trying to accumulate all Claymore products I can find, for my collection.

Some say its a quick read. I have a strategy that I think works to get more out of it. I just take my time. Its such a good series it deserves to be savored a bit if you know what I mean. I try to read slow on purpose, and let my imagination think about the scene for a second. I'll pay attention to the artwork. Some scenes the artwork is rather plain and lacking, others he put a lot of effort in and the intricate drawings really need appreciated. Since when I started reading there were many many volumes out (just a year or two ago), so I paced myself to try and spread out the series. I'm still not caught up, only to scene 114 I think it was. Some have said they have read it all in like a week, or less. To me that just doesnt do it justice. I guess you'll always have to wait for the next scene to be released, but I've liked the pace I've kept and it kept me really interested over a couple years. I'll generally limit myself to one or two new scenes per session, sometimes 3 on a special occasion if I havent read it in a while. But to make it a bit more of a session I'll re-read the last couple scenes too. And that helps me remember what was going on and catch maybe some details that I didn't the first go around. So starting back a couple scenes and finishing up with a couple new ones, pausing after each page to admire and study some of the artwork, is a great session for me. I rarely want to spend an hour or more anyhow. I know most of you are already caught up to 'real time' but for someone just getting into the manga it might be worth considering.

Another tradition I sometimes partake in is having a special beer along with my reading (of course I only recommend to those of legal age). I found a beer called Raison D'Être which as some of you probably know, is the opening theme song for the anime version of Claymore. And the phrase translates to 'reason for being or existence' which seems to fit Claymore well and inspire deep thought. While its not a super beer, it is very unique, somewhat strong and full bodied (not for the light beer crowd). So its kind of evolved into a tradition, setting aside a nice quiet place to read undisturbed with a nice brew in hand.

Cheers to all my Claymore loving friends!
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by TStew; November 02, 2013 at 12:03 PM.
    T~Stew

17. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member number12michael's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

i would recommend Freezing, it has many similarity's to Claymore.

I would fer sure buy Claymore its a great story and in my mind worth owning physical copy's
    "Keep Eating Shit For The Rest Of Your Life " - 愛憎のロクサーヌ- Roxanne of Love and Hate

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Claymore1's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@TStew, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is excellent, I would suggest watching it. Others I would suggest would be Death Note, Attack on Titan (which was already recommended), Sword Art online, and Durarara.

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

While it isn't a manga, it is more than likely where yagi got the idea of claymore - the witcher novels.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast