Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Comedy in Beelzebub

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Comedy in Beelzebub

So while Beelzebub has had plenty of action in it (progressively more in the last year), it is a comedy about half the time. Personally, I really enjoyed the comedy in the earlier portions of the manga (before chapter 100 or so), but recently, the comedy seems more "forced" than it used to be. It also seems to be a bit more childish than before, granted it IS in a shonen magazine and it's not like a naked demon baby isn't childish...but I enjoyed it more. Maybe the charm of the series has worn off? Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Comedy in Beelzebub

I think I would call it innocent rather than childish and I think that has been charmingly consistant.

Granted the plot has evolved from a gag manga type to more of a battle manga type; but i think that's out of narrative necessity. Most of the earlier comedy was based on the introduction of new characters and an author can't do that forever. Eventually he had to bring them all together into some form of coherent plot of the manga was going to continue to be good.

And I think thus far Ryūhei Tamura has done a very good job putting a purpose to all the craziness so that the craziness can continue without getting stale.

----------------------------------

I would add that I don't think the anime has managed to strike that same balance. There is a fine line between "hilariously insane" and "goofy"; and I think in adapting it TV they let it slip across that line too often.
    Last edited by Jammin; October 31, 2011 at 07:39 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted lawlett-kun's Avatar
    Country
    South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

comedy is very well done. Not tooo much comedy but we have enough of it. Not just Beel's comedy, for me Queen is sooo much more funny in her crush with Oga haha. Reminds me of Hancock from OP.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Black Hawk's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i can agree with that. The case of the comedy can sometimes really harsh or some really good Gag´s. Special Beelzebub focus on two kind of jokes. Ones is the jokes with words, like Fruitpunch Quiz at beginning or speaking teasly over different Person. That best point anyone do it with anyone. Every charachtere got some jokes.
    At least the picture comedy without any word, as a example .
    Spoiler show
    Furichi´s double or three mouth picture, appearness from transfar Demon Delon. A lot of them and that mix, show that Beelzebub is a gag Manga.

Also in the Fightchapters u can find most times one joke min.

New Reply