Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Timeline and Psychology

Der blaue Denker MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Timeline and Psychology

This is a very interesting topic that I would want to discuss. Gantz is known for having pretty much one of the most gore stories, filled with death, destruction, desperation and all kind of worst things that one can imagine. So I asked myself how does all of this fit in with the psychology of the characters. How does it effect their mind?

But also I wondered how long have they been exposed to such a thing? We know many players have been on a lot of mission, so does the "timeline" that they see these things have any effect on them? We know there is the option of erasing the memory of the events but many of the current players trying to save the world have been exposed to this kind of world for a long time. Discuss how you think about this thing in the manga. And a more regular question will Oku ever reveal what is going on deep inside of their mind?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Timeline and Psychology

I think the anime did a slightly better job of exploring the minds of the characters. The manga really doesn't give you much to go by. Half the time it doesn't even seem realistic to me.

We've seen that Gantz can bring out the worst in people (Nishi, Osaka). We saw it destroy Inaba's confidence completely. Even though he was a bit of a dick he still did try to throw himself into danger in the beginning. Kei moves pretty rapidly through different 'personalities'.

Reika has no personality. Kaze has really become emotionally involved with Takeshi.

There's really not a whole lot to go by. The timeline is about 6-9 months I think.. I can't remember where but I heard the time between maybe Nishi or Katou dying and coming back was 6 months.

What seems to have more of an effect on people is interactions with other humans rather than with the aliens.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

They just all feel indifferent to the whole thing, or even worst, in some situations they show totally different emotions than what is expected of them to react like in such a situation. Clearly the characters are seem more in an action sense, they are superheroes, feel nothing at times and stuff, they have cool designs and traits to make them look good in a battle, to sum this up they become something like heartless and mindless war machines.

They do look out for each other, mostly certain characters do, Katou is an example. Others are there to survive, nothing too deep into their mind or personality, mostly it's just a few interactions, lots of crying which does not tell or explain much, panting and running, panic and shock, the characters at times lack humanity.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

Just look at last chapters (340_350) pages and You see Kurona and Tae together after half a year (couple days in manga) its not just tears.

Humanity is then all "good" gantzers are saving the rest of people not just fighting for their lifes and this behaviour is expanding (addopted by growing number of gantzers). For example guy with glasses said RUN REST OF YOU (not I'll die)

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

^

2 hours in manga.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

What experiences Tae had, she should be pretty much like Casca is in the manga Berserk, shocked, paralized, brain damaged. Survived a school massacre and lot of killings, her parents death ... i dont think a a girl in her age can go through that without going 'a bit' isnane.
    well.. in next issue (ch352) she will be like Casca for real..

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

^

She did look pretty messed up at the end there.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

She has been kidnapped, held hostage multiple times as well, not to mention she died and came back as well, that one always got to me, no one seem shocked at least shocked though, they should be freak out when they are revived, and not just Tae, everyone, and this current arc it has surpassed Osaka in weirdness, Osaka was a real change to the even more weird things in this manga.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If we are going to be talking about the psychological outcomes of all the characters. I'd pretty much say they all make sense.

Kei started out as a dick head and has grown a shitload throughout the series. his growth is solely due to the fact that he isn't alone in the world anymore, he has Tae to fight for.

Cherri lost his fuckin mind, which makes sense since he lost his girl and cant get her back. Who wouldn't after watching humans being eaten like sardines.

everyone else seems to make sense. Nishi is fine. Takeshi should really be fucked in the head though, but maybe not since there are plenty of children whom are raised during wars. Rika is fine, shes got her hubby. Kei 2 accepted the loss of Tae, and I was really happy they dealt with their being two kei's immediately. They didn't leave it to sit around and become anti-climatic.

Muscle rider is fine, he's always been a warrior. There are enough other gantz member's shown so you can see a wide range of various mental out comes.

You have the one remaining Gantz member who tried to resuce people on the ship before Kei 2's team got their, but they were miserably wiped out. And you saw the shattering of his resolve which is realistic.

Which I fucking love the amount of failure that goes on in this manga. they dont hold your hand with shit. some people in this world just have horrible miserable endings, and gantz shows that to you.

"some people aren't destined to be hero's"
    Last edited by kliff2004; November 29, 2011 at 09:23 PM.

New Reply