Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma

View Poll Results: What makes you read shoujo/josei?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like the gorgeous art!

5 33.33%
  • The story plot is sweet and I like it.

9 60.00%
  • Shoujo/Josei series feature adorable characters!

2 13.33%
  • I'm just looking for the romance.

3 20.00%
  • Others (specify in post, please~)

5 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why do you read shoujo/josei series?

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do you read shoujo/josei series?

The question is simple, right? Why do you like shoujo/josei series, or if you don't really like it but occasionally read it, what makes you read them?

Shoujo/Josei series are quite typical compared to others and sometimes it is always being identified with girls, romance, and all those lovey-dovey moment. XD Despite such things, why do you keep reading them? Is it the beautiful art you don't find at other series? Or is the plot? Or simply because you want to take a break from another series so you decide to try shoujo/josei? XD Or is it something else?

Don't forget to vote for your top reason in the poll! :3 Happy discussing~

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why do you read shoujo/josei series?

My favorite genre is slice of life, so it feels kind of natural reading shoujo manga. I actual do like good romance manga too, as long as it is not smut and never feels like a soap opera. Manga about people, manga that express honest, natural emotion are my favorite and I have found many shoujo manga that meet those criteria.

As a fan of manga I do not discriminate between any of the demographics, if a series interests me I don't care if it is shounen, seinen, shoujo, and josei. As long as a series is well written and interesting I will give it a try.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, back then when I first came in to contact with manga, I read shoujo series (especially; even until now I haven't read that many josei titles) because I was looking for the cool graphic artwork. At that time, it was up to such point that when the artwork of the manga is not good in my eyes, I'd just skip it; not paying attention to any other details. But as I grown up, my preference changed. Especially since I used English more and learned of reading manga online, I began to pay more attention to the plot. Now, I prefer series with good plot rather than with beautiful artwork. (I guess I'm kinda lucky that the series which I think have good plots have good artwork as well, eh? XDD)

Almost similar to Kaiten, my reason for reading shoujo/josei is because the plot offers something different. I tend to read fantastical/adventure series, which mostly do not emphasize on the romance part. It can be exhausting sometimes to keep reading them, so reading shoujo/josei series give me a refreshed feeling. The problems, though may be cliche sometimes, are natural and can be real.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    The problems, though may be cliche sometimes, are natural and can be real.
    Actually, that is something important to me. I don't mind the same old cliches or tropes so long as they are heart felt. Gaining confidence, falling in love for the first time, and making new friends may be cliche but it is something that everyone has lived through. As long as I care about the characters and can identify emotionally the same problems can have new impact.

I have read a fair amount of josei but find it very hard comparing what I read to shoujo. There certainly is a lot of josei that could be, but most of what I read compares better to seinen.

The Viennese Pixie 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I rarely read them, and by this I mean Josei manga but ever since I heard they were the equivalent of seinen for female readers can not just let them pass by, well they did not grasp my attention as seinen ones but certainly are there when it comes to the adult themes explored in them, most are rather artistically brilliant and really catch my eye in that department and sometime I confuse the two demographics. xD

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Actually, that is something important to me. I don't mind the same old cliches or tropes so long as they are heart felt. Gaining confidence, falling in love for the first time, and making new friends may be cliche but it is something that everyone has lived through. As long as I care about the characters and can identify emotionally the same problems can have new impact.
    I agree. If I read a similar problem or situation from series to series too much, I would end up comparing them and expecting a bit more. Sometimes it disappoints me, but other times it also surprises me that a series can present it and solve it differently. That's why it is interesting, I suppose. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    I rarely read them, and by this I mean Josei manga but ever since I heard they were the equivalent of seinen for female readers can not just let them pass by, well they did not grasp my attention as seinen ones but certainly are there when it comes to the adult themes explored in them, most are rather artistically brilliant and really catch my eye in that department and sometime I confuse the two demographics. xD
    Ah, I see~ Even as a 'counterpart' of seinen, josei would still have romance element in it, I suppose? That's what makes it fresh from shounen and seinen, perhaps. :3

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner heartofprincess's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

I read shojo for various reasons. A lot of it has to do with the stories and the plot, as I prefer how shojo goes more in depth with its character development and how the characters interact with each other. I also love the art work in shojo as each character can carry there emotions with just expression and I love that. Also the actual clothes that they were can just be beautiful such as Akagami no Shirayukihime, I can't get enough of the art work in this manga. But the reason to keep reading is that I just enjoy the whole story and every aspect of it XD

Top 10 manga: 1.Skip Beat! 2.Kaichou Wa Maid Sama 3.Akagami No Shirayukihime 4.Dawn Of Arcana 5. Kimi Ni Todoke 6.Dengeki Daisy 7.Arisa 8.Fruits Basket 9.After School Nightmare 10.V.B.Rose

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing is perfect; shoujo and josei series included. Often I found a so-so shoujo/josei artworks (mostly minor works, or if I have to take it harsh, I don't really like the artwork of Nodame Cantabile), but it is the other elements which drive me crazy about them. Mostly the plot and how the characters develop, finding more sides of themselves, changing their views on various things. Like what heartofprincess said.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really read Shoujo/Josei for the Art. I even found that this standardized flowery art plays against it. I wished there was more variety like there is in Seinen. But a good plot makes for it. I also like the little texts aparté. There are really typical of 'girl' manga and are usually really funny.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member rudorofu's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Mainly read shoujo and not many josei series, but the reason behind choosing to read them is for the romantic and sweet moments (: I'm a hopeless romantic at heart who's very traditional when it comes to romance and since there are some situations that would be unrealistic in real life, might as well read them in fiction :P Additionally, I find that mangaka who write shoujo have pretty nice, detailed artwork.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Nodamechi's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I stopped reading that many shoujo manga, as I got to the point where the cliches were a bit too much. However I still like jousei. Maybe it's just a matter that I can't really relate to shoolgirls feelings, since I finished high school

That doesn't mean that if I find a really good shoujo manga I won't read it for the excessive sparkles. If the art is really exceptional I will probably go for it
    Also, another reason may be the fact that I really like slice of life stories and those where there is a very strong woman or a very weird man .

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Gantzter127's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

The art, the joy, the romance. I love everything about Josei/Shoujo.

Yokota Takuma, Tsutomu Nihei and Asano Inio. <3

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I read shoujo because it offers a lighter plot. I mostly read heavy stories, so I need refreshment once in a while, and most of shoujo/josei offers this.
    There are also times when I read them just because I want to torture myself (envying the characters' romance or rubbing salt on my heart's wound).
    Some other time, I just want to look at bishies...

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity matzik1212's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Well that would be 'cause of the art . Most of these type of mangas have a really good art which is a plus for me , i mean if the story isn't that great at least if the art is good i'll finish what i started .
    But i have to admit that i read Shoujo sometimes and i am very pretentious to this type of genre . I don't like retarded characters at all ( i mean girls that go all gaga for a dude )

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matzik1212 View Post
    I don't like retarded characters at all ( i mean girls that go all gaga for a dude )
    Ah yeah, the stupid main female characters. I sometimes want to squash them because I'm furious to see their foolishness, but if the story is good, I'll just control myself. But if it's not good... I hope no one is near me by then.
    This kind of girls is the weakness of shoujo manga, though lately the characters have evolved to be better girls.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast