Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Seen any cosplays?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Seen any cosplays?

So earlier, I was casually going through my Tumblr dashboard when I came across a photo of people cosplaying Bakuman. They were striking a pose similar to one of the colour spreads (the one where they're all pointing their pen outstretched).

And then it just dawned on me.

This is the first time I've seen anybody cosplay Bakuman. @_@;

So has anybody seen any Bakuman cosplays in real life? What with Bakuman being such a IRL series you'd think they'd be the easiest to cosplay right after L.
    -

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seen any cosplays?

Yeah, I see it everyday

No, jokes aside, I said this a billion times already. I'm a 100% look-alike with Shuujin. To bad I won't show you a pic of myself.

And, yeah, there was this one case, where someone else wore the same outfit as Shuujin. Though, I have high doubts that it was conciously. It's not that random when someone wears a sports costume with headphones

And I agree, that the lack of Bakuman cosplays is making me worry. We need moar Aoki and Kaya... if you get what I mean

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    No, jokes aside, I said this a billion times already. I'm a 100% look-alike with Shuujin. To bad I won't show you a pic of myself.
    Are you saying you wear red tracksuits, wear glasses, and have blonde hair everyday of the year?

Ironically, I'm starting to think it's harder to cosplay casual clothed characters. When it came to Death Note, L and N were easy and recognizable, so was Misa Amane. Because they were eccentric. Whenever I saw Kira/Light cosplays, I never recognize them on first glance unless they're holding a death note.

If we had to describe Bakuman characters, the only people that stand out for me is Fukuda (being the resident albino) and Eiji. The other's attires are too casual to stick out.
    -

Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeshade View Post
    Are you saying you wear red tracksuits, wear glasses, and have blonde hair everyday of the year?
    No.

But cosplaying is not only about dressing as a certain character. The personality plays a major role as well. And that is actually the main part, which made me think of the similarities between me and Shuujin. Things like glasses, or headphones became only little extra's after that.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alphabeta View Post
    But cosplaying is not only about dressing as a certain character. The personality plays a major role as well.
    Agree. This article proves that. Just ignore the racist title.
    Last edited by sekida; November 15, 2011 at 11:47 AM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kaidou's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The main cast? No. The Main cast's characters? Yes. Saw a Crow at Otakon 2011

picture behind the tag for those with slower connections.
    Spoiler show

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet Crow cosplay!

Quote Quote:
    Ironically, I'm starting to think it's harder to cosplay casual clothed characters.
    I stand by my point. I couldn't tell those two were Azuki and Kaya even if they were standing in front of me. When a character is more defined by their face rather than their attire, it really is harder to cosplay.
    -

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you, Knifeshade, it's definitely a lot more difficult to cosplay characters when they're dressed casually, and even more so if their hairstyle isn't anything extravagant or different (or just in some way distinctive). I wouldn't have been able to tell those were Azuki and Kaya either, unless all the Bakuman characters were gathered and I had some more context. They could be anyone.

On the other hand, the Crow cosplay is instantly recognizable to anyone who has read Bakuman

Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    I agree with you, Knifeshade, it's definitely a lot more difficult to cosplay characters when they're dressed casually, and even more so if their hairstyle isn't anything extravagant or different (or just in some way distinctive). I wouldn't have been able to tell those were Azuki and Kaya either, unless all the Bakuman characters were gathered and I had some more context. They could be anyone.

On the other hand, the Crow cosplay is instantly recognizable to anyone who has read Bakuman
    Well, Kaya does have a more or less individual hairstyle and together with her haircolor (ginger, redhead, I don't know >_>) she is actually recognizable.
    Spoiler show

Fukuda, too, has a couple of unique traits, so he'd be recongizable, too. But, yeah, pretty much most of the cast from both DN and Bakuman are basically impossible to cosplay.
    Last edited by alphabeta; February 04, 2012 at 05:26 AM.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't really call Kaya's hairstyle anything unique. By unique I'm talking more like, say, Zaraki or Byakuya from Bleach. You'd know it's them at a glance even if it could be anyone wearing a black kimono (assuming they don't wear the captain's haori). Or maybe, how Kaya wears her hair is more Asian. Because I see it often enough in the streets, yet the way you describe it makes it sound extremely rare

I do agree that Fukuda would be an example of a character with a more unique appearance when it comes to Bakuman. If you're talking DN, L is actually pretty recognizable - maybe not from afar, but up close, the eyeshadow (eyebags), baggy clothing and (provided it's a good cosplayer) the way he carries himself would give him away.

Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by saladesu View Post
    I wouldn't really call Kaya's hairstyle anything unique. By unique I'm talking more like, say, Zaraki or Byakuya from Bleach. You'd know it's them at a glance even if it could be anyone wearing a black kimono (assuming they don't wear the captain's haori). Or maybe, how Kaya wears her hair is more Asian. Because I see it often enough in the streets, yet the way you describe it makes it sound extremely rare

I do agree that Fukuda would be an example of a character with a more unique appearance when it comes to Bakuman. If you're talking DN, L is actually pretty recognizable - maybe not from afar, but up close, the eyeshadow (eyebags), baggy clothing and (provided it's a good cosplayer) the way he carries himself would give him away.
    Still, Ryuuk is the easiest character to cosplay by far.

Nakai has become easier to cosplay, too.

By Kaya's hairstyle being unique I meant that "striped ponytail", if that's how you can call it. You know, not one solid tail, but many small one's. It's actually reminding me of the kyuubi's tails...

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

After looking at like 30 google pages of bakuman cosplay I came to the conclusion that Eiji is relatively easy to recognize, too. His monotone outfit is recoginzable enough, but if you actually add the feathers to it, it becomes just obvious.
    Last edited by alphabeta; February 06, 2012 at 04:46 AM.

New Reply