Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: If Shin Woo gets taken by the KSA, whose reaction would be the most... apocalyptic?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raizel - He protects his friends...with gusto.

0 0%
  • Frankenstein - Messing with his master and his school is sucide by proxy.

1 25.00%
  • Seira - It seems like it's always the quiet ones....

3 75.00%
  • M-21 - Werewolves are not known for thier restraint.

0 0%
  • Somebody else(please post)

0 0%
New Reply

Thread: Noblesse Chapter 209 Review

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Noblesse Chapter 209 Review

No character spotlight this week because I didn't think there anyone stood out enough for it. Other than that same drill as usual.

Now onto the review!

Chapter Summary

Somebody is getting bullied here, just not who you'd think.

This weeks starts off with Shin Woo delivering a complete and total beat-down to KSA trainees as Na Yontsu and An Sangeen watch on in amazement. After Shin Woo finishes systematically grinding the trainees self-respect into dust, he cheerfully rejoins the others and they head home.

As the agents sit in their car discussing what just happened, up walks Tao, Takeo, and M-21. They tell them they know that they were the ones behind that attack on the students and ask for an explanation; well Tao asks...M-21 DEMANDS. Tensions rise as M-21 struggles to keep himself from throwing down with them on the spot and eventually Sangeen apologizes for the incident and says that what they were doing was approved by the school. So they let the agents go for now and return to let Frankenstein.

By the time they had explained half of what happened Frankenstein had extrapolated the other half, knowing M-21 as well as he does, and is positively gleeful about this turn of events. He can't wait to sadistically torment the KSA and is makes no effort to hide it.

Chapter Review

Notice that Raizel is NOT telling Frankenstein to be courteous this time.

Substance
    The cold war between Frankenstein and the KSA is heating up. Na Yonstu and An Sangeen got their hands caught in the proverbial cookie jar big time and Frankenstein can't wait to make them regret it, and he's not the only one. M-21 has clearly taken the KSA's methods and mission personally. In his eyes the KSA have revealed themselves as a threat to the students and that's something he is not willing to tolerate.

We got some clarification on Shin Woo's fighting ability thanks to Sangeen too. He explained Shin Woo's strength as a result of skilled timing and his mastery of center of gravity, which makes a kind of sense. Various kung fu forms use pivoting footwork to achieve stronger blows, that principle here is exaggerated, but essentially the same. So I guess that means no superhuman lineage for Shin Woo.

Presentation
    The art this week was good. It's didn't quite have the visual flair that Noblesse's better art has, like that kick panel last week, but still very good looking. I also like the way the artist drew Shin Woo's fighting, specifically how it made sense. When Shin Woo's hand was caught he turned the blow into an elbow strike. This tells me that the artist has actually put thought into how Shin Woo was fighting because that move resembles an actual kung fu technique I happen to be familiar with.

The rest of this chapter was just great. The pacing was perfect. The Shin Woo's fight provided a sense of action and all the conversations were infused with the sense of subtlety that I love.

Final Rating
    This was well put together. Shin Woo's fight looked great and was infused with wry humor, the following conversational sections had excellent tension, and capping it the end with Frankenstein's megalomaniacal glee was a great touch.

I'm torn on whether or not to give this a 4 or a 5 because the art isn't quite as good as it has been at times, like the Lukedonia arc, but it seems wrong to hold a series down based on such a crazy high watermark.

So I give this chapter a 5 out of 5.

My Prediction (Current Record 6-4)
    • Frankenstein will expel the agents from the school but they will not give up pursuing Shin Woo.

My Previous Predictions
    "I think something abnormal is going on with Shin Woo physically, I have no idea what yet."
    It hurts a little to let go of this one but it seems all that going on with Shin Woo is that his awesomeness is up 300%.

"Those trainees fighting Shin Woo are going to lose their cool after being embarrassed by him and break out whatever human modifications they have."
    I was wrong. They didn't seem to be modified and, in addition to that, they more or less kept their cool.

Spoiler: Ongoing show

Thread Question of the Week
    How is Frankenstein going to obstruct the KSA's plans and how do you think the agents will respond to it?
    Last edited by Jammin; November 08, 2011 at 02:57 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noblesse Chapter 209 Review

Quote Quote:
    How is Frankenstein going to obstruct the KSA's plans and how do you think the agents will respond to it?
    Maybe Tao had recorded the conversation from earlier? I think Franky will just have to present the case or even evidence that the scholarship program by the government put the children in danger. That might be an enough of an excuse for him to formally not cooperate or get them out of the school.

Great review again.

I'm not really sure on the poll - I chose Seira but It might be M-21 that does something.

Seeing how he's already been confrontational with hem.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review as always, Jam~

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    We got some clarification on Shin Woo's fighting ability thanks to Sangeen too. He explained Shin Woo's strength as a result of skilled timing and his mastery of center of gravity, which makes a kind of sense. Various kung fu forms use pivoting footwork to achieve stronger blows, that principle here is exaggerated, but essentially the same. So I guess that means no superhuman lineage for Shin Woo.
    Would it really kick the possibility of him having super genes in his body out of the area? I think it's still possible. Studying biology, you'll learn that things around you are affected by both genetics and environment. Bad example, I know, but in this case Shinwoo had the environment trigger on (as far as we know). I think it's still possible that he himself has special genes to begin with. <3

"Those trainees fighting Shin Woo are going to lose their cool after being embarrassed by him and break out whatever human modifications they have."
    I was wrong. They didn't seem to be modified and, in addition to that, they more or less kept their cool.
    I feel like those people are being trained before being modified. Or is it the other way around? Would they be modified at all, these recruited agents?

More or less like what Charlie said. I think he didn't have to go as far as recording it (though knowing Tao, it is possible). They are special security agents and I think it's natural for Frank to listen to them when the three of them were all there and witnessed the situation. I think Frank would just talk to them calmly but strongly. I wonder how the agents would respond. I think they would back off and start recruiting from the shadows. <3

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Would it really kick the possibility of him having super genes in his body out of the area? I think it's still possible. Studying biology, you'll learn that things around you are affected by both genetics and environment. Bad example, I know, but in this case Shinwoo had the environment trigger on (as far as we know). I think it's still possible that he himself has special genes to begin with. <3
    It's possible but it seems more unlikely now that his strength has been explained to some degree.

I feel like those people are being trained before being modified. Or is it the other way around? Would they be modified at all, these recruited agents?
    I would think they would be trained before and after and that these particular trainees didn't look like they were superhuman yet.

More or less like what Charlie said. I think he didn't have to go as far as recording it (though knowing Tao, it is possible). They are special security agents and I think it's natural for Frank to listen to them when the three of them were all there and witnessed the situation. I think Frank would just talk to them calmly but strongly. I wonder how the agents would respond. I think they would back off and start recruiting from the shadows. <3
    Yeah, that's about what I think will happen too. I'm going to be interested to see how the agents approach things from here though because they are not going to give up on Shin Woo now unless they are forced to.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

i hope there'll be some more action in the near future
    and some more moments with rai

Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Noblesse section and to MangaHelpers, DarkDooM~!

And yes, I agree. I'd love to see more action too; it's been quite long since we last saw the security agents and Frank in action. Rai might be a bit too weak for now...

New Reply