Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Art Evolution

Der blaue Denker MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Art Evolution

One of the first things I asked before starting Vinland Saga was about the art, randomly I saw some more recent chapters of it and the art was amazing, it really was vivid and clean, and so I started it but got confused when the art at the beginning did not live up to my expectations. So as I said I asked and I was told the art improves as the story progresses.

What do you think about Vinland Saga and this aspect of it, are fans turned off by the art in the beginning or do they read for the really interesting historic story? What can you say about the art evolution in this manga? Did it help get it up there among the more popular ones? How would you say that art evolution went?

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Art Evolution

I was never turned off by the art the first time I picked up Vinland. It wasn't a problem for me because the story was really awesome to begin with. I did not get distracted with it at all.

I didn't even notice the gradual change in art quality. I guess it was more subtle for me than anything. Because I thought it was good and unique from the start. :/

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Der blaue Denker MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Hm really though the current ones, from what I have seen, since I have to catch up, are really epic and really well the right word would be cleaner, I do not know if it is the scan group or what but I do believe a visual representation would be better, I just compare the first and current chapter.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually have to agree with baboysai

The art in Vinland Saga has been damn good from start to current chapter.
    Has it improved? Yes but it's like going from gold to platinum.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

i didnt really see the change either. if you just read the manga from the beginning to the end and you dont start at the end, then you dont even notice the change.

Look at Berserk the art style of Kentaro Miura has improved over the chapters from berserk, and i think its a good thing and an ?obvious thing? since these people are drawing their manga for some time now, so their art gets better.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member sir_arles's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I think VS always had good art. The first chapters are just awesome. In fact, I remember I couldn't pinpoint when it passed from weekly to monthly.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally agree with Joseph. The artwork certainly wasn't as good in the beginning as its now. I believe the change was obvious when the series was made monthly from weekly...that clearly helped the mangaka art-wise. Though i must say i don't like the design of adult thorfinn...perhaps the mangaka wanted to make him as dull as any slave, opposite to the seafaring flamboyent vikings.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I am expecting a makeover for Thorfinn after the slave days are over of course. Something badass.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to read Vinland Saga (I plan to start reading it when the volumes are officially released in English), but I don't think the art was bad at all in the beginning of the series. The latest chapters look fantastic, but the beginning of the series still had some pretty great art. Like mrsticky005 said it's like the art went from gold to platinum.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member wintercry's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    I have yet to read Vinland Saga (I plan to start reading it when the volumes are officially released in English), but I don't think the art was bad at all in the beginning of the series. The latest chapters look fantastic, but the beginning of the series still had some pretty great art. Like mrsticky005 said it's like the art went from gold to platinum.
    If I were you I'd start reading it already rather than hoping for something that may not come.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Why wouldn't it be? It's got great art and it's about VIKINGS!! I can sort of see Darkhorse publishing it, it seems like the kind of series they'd do.

New Reply