Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 752 by cnet128 , Bleach 587 (2) , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Vinland

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Vinland

Early in the manga, Lief Ericson tells a fantastic story about an adventure he had to a strange and beautiful land he called "Vinland, the Land of Pastures". Since the manga is named after this place, I believe it will come up again once Thorfinn manages to free himself from slavery.

"Vinland" could possibly represent so many things. It could be an actual place that can be reached, like say the New World (AKA the American continent), which was discovered by vikings. Though it could also simply represent every adventurer's dream, a goal that cannot be obtained but keeps the spirit of adventure alive in people sailing the seas.

This thread is the place to discuss what you think Vinland actually is, and if it will ever be reached in Thorfinn's lifetime.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Antarctica
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinland

Hmmm, I never paid much thoughts into that. It was obvious to me that Leif was referring to the "real" Vinland the "real" Leif Eriksson discovered and settled in centuries ago. I believe many norse sagas agree that the New World was discovered when Leif Eriksson landed there, in Vinland, which I believe is the area around L'Anse aux Meadows, up there in Canada.

What do you think about it?

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Well in my opinion, its a clear reference to the real Vinland no doubt. But the mangaka loves taking realistic places and people and making them his own, so who knows how it could turn out if he really takes the characters there.

Though, ever since it was mentioned, I always thought they would never go there. That it was more like a dream, the spirit of adventure so to speak, that would inspire the characters to keep traveling around. Thorfinn, especially, needs something like that to bring his "soul" back to him. Maybe if he remembers how excited he was hearing the story of Vinland as a kid, it will somehow make him stop being so stoic about life like he's being now.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member kthy0056's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Vinland

Thorfinn is also a name mentioned in the original, so I think that's the end goal for this manga. At some point, our character will set sail (probably helped by Canute - who knows) and land on Vinland, where he will settle. ***

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ratatosk's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

If they do stick to history (or history that passed through generations of drunk storytellers before it was written down, backed up by a bit of archaeology) and sail to Vinland, I don't think it goes particularly well..
    But it could be symbolic.
    If this is just a coming-of-age story about Thorfinn's journey to becoming a sane adult/ 'true warrior' then maybe it will end like Planetes with the start of the expedition. I hope not though

Talking of anonymous Vikings sailing to America, those guys turn up briefly in American Gods by Neil Gaiman.. Which everyone should read, as it's awesome, and we need something for the wait for the next chapter of this anyway.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Styx47ag's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Newfoundland...

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Since the newest chapter, 93, sort of
    Spoiler show
    (I use spoilers but I'm sure you can guess at the content), I feel this conversation may need to be revived. How big do you think their expedition team will be? How soon will they actually depart (in years or chapters)? Maybe Canute finances it?

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner 2878's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drmke View Post
    How big do you think their expedition team will be? How soon will they actually depart (in years or chapters)? Maybe Canute finances it?
    1. I guess up to 10 15 men... I still hope that Snake will join them next chapter, but I feel that he will stay with the young master.. or who knows? I mean the "young master" is still exiled.
    2. From the 'farmland'. They will leave in 2-3 chapters. To Vinland? I'd say about 5-10 chapters, or a few weeks.
    3. NO. I think this in the moment where Canute starts fading out from the manga...

I just take a guess... Any chance to have Thorkell join them? I mean he will see in Thorfinn,s eyes the same look he saw in his father's eyes.
    Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

New Reply