Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Fans and Popularity

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Fans and Popularity

Popular shounen have a really devoted fan base and fans seem to praise their manga a lot. For seinen there are series that get a lot of praise, what do I consider praise? Well generally going really in debt into the story, making up theories, buying toys and volumes and everything else that comes with the series, make fan art, generally wake up and start praising the manga. Is Vinland Saga popular enough for such a thing? Do you think this manga may have such a fan base in some time?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fans and Popularity

Vinland Saga doesn't seem too popular to me. Or not as popular as it should be.
    It really needs to get licensed. I could see a story like it doing better in the west
    than in Japan since I would think vikings are more popular in the west? I could be wrong.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah, i don't dare hope so. Quality wise its definitely better than most of the popular titles, but it lacks the spices needed for popularity even for a seinen. It doesn't try to go overboard with sex and violence just cause its seinen, and while its good for quality, its not so for popularity.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member wintercry's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Most Seinen series are unpopular, especially in North America. Readers tend to stick to Shonen and most adults or young adults who would appreciate series like Vinland Saga would shun their way to it thinking manga, in general no matter the demographic is childish. At least that's most of my friends' opinion.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Vespertine's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

i think we could all agree VS aint getting the attention it deserves.

a couple months back i asked if it did get license in USA and such, but i think someone responded me sayin it only was in china? i dont remember exactly.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashher View Post
    Nah, i don't dare hope so. Quality wise its definitely better than most of the popular titles, but it lacks the spices needed for popularity even for a seinen. It doesn't try to go overboard with sex and violence just cause its seinen, and while its good for quality, its not so for popularity.
    On the contrary I say VS has plenty of spice. It may not go overboard but it's not exactly chaste either.

I do think if they put the advertising $$$ into it could be at least cult status popular. People like vikings and seeing how there's really not that
    many good viking stories there's gonna be little competition. Only problem is that they won't put the advertising dollars in. Since it doesn't
    seem to be rather popular in Japan? (I might be wrong on that). But then how popular are vikings in Japan anyways?

Anywho, I don't see it being the next One Piece, but if they sold it to the right crowd (15-30 year old males.) it would do well.

But they have to actually proactively sell it. They can't just twiddle their thumbs hoping to strike oil.

New Reply