Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2)
New Reply
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Baseball Thread

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Baseball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    I think the Red Sox and Yankees being in the AL have a lot to do with it as well. They attract so much attention.
    That is true. They are the two highest profile franchises, even during down cycles they receive a lot of attention. The highest profile NL club is so bad right now they don't even get negative attention. Once the Cubs are respectable again, that will change.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Well, people like offense and HRs more than small ball and defense. The NL has been better than the AL for a while now, but the AL's more "exciting."
    It's a bit of a stereotype that National League teams play station to station. The AL does have more offense, but it's not as big a difference as the pundits would lead you to believe. A few teams do play small ball, especially out west, but there are plenty of offensive powers too. The Brewers come to mind, The Nationals, Cardinals, and Braves too. Funny thing is that the legendary, steroid filled, 1998 home run race was between two players on National League teams. The all time home runs leader played his entire career in the National League, so did the player in second place. I honestly loathe the DH, can't stand interleague games in AL ball parks. The rhythm of the game is badly disrupted without the pitcher hitting 9th. A lot of strategy, offensive and defensive, is lost in the AL. The 7th and 8th hitters are more important in the NL too.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

While I don't disagree with anything you said there, Kaiten, and I particularly agree with your point about how the DH needs to be eliminated, you don't want to take about the latest steroid issue in baseball? A-Rod's juicing some more.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

While Barry Bonds did play his entire career in the NL, Hank Aaron did not. He played a couple years with the Brewers, which was an AL club until 90s. He broke Ruth's RBI record as a member of the Brewers. That being said, it doesn't really change your point all that much. I'm just being anal.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    While I don't disagree with anything you said there, Kaiten, and I particularly agree with your point about how the DH needs to be eliminated, you don't want to take about the latest steroid issue in baseball? A-Rod's juicing some more.
    Don't really care about ARod. He's probably not going to play this season anyway. Good riddance, hopefully he never plays again. He's washed up anyway. I watched the AL playoffs. I'm more interested in important news, like the Nationals adding a new racing president

I did think it interesting no one was elected to the hall this year, even the guys they couldn't prove did steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    While Barry Bonds did play his entire career in the NL, Hank Aaron did not. He played a couple years with the Brewers, which was an AL club until 90s. He broke Ruth's RBI record as a member of the Brewers. That being said, it doesn't really change your point all that much. I'm just being anal.
    Yes, yes of course. Just like Willie Mays played for the Mets and Johnny Unitas was a Charger
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 02, 2013 at 01:45 AM.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a postscript to what I said!

/Kaiten
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 02, 2013 at 11:57 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Zack Wheeler (Mets) is filthy. Remember the name, he will more than live up to the hype. I love his fastball location. He'll start the year in AAA, I expect him to come up sometime this year. A September call up, at the latest.

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

Rough first inning for Stras. A much better second inning.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

You're watching Spring Training baseball?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I watched the first four innings. Strasburg was pitching, on national TV. It was fun.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw the stats at the bottom on ESPN, but to actually watch Spring Training baseball? That's something I'd never do.

On other news, Granderson breaks his arm and is out for 10 weeks, but Jeter will be ready for the first spring training game on March 10th.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The highlights were on Sports Center. Be prepared, Nats hype is coming.

Yankees should be terrible this year. Not Astros terrible, but terrible by Yankees standards. Looks like an 80 - 85 win team, maybe with a few lucky breaks they'll get the second wild card spot. Granderson is overrated anyway. He's a strikeout machine, doesn't hit for average, and a defensive liability (-.07 dWAR). All he really does is hit for power. Robinson Cano is the only current Yankee I really like, and he might not resign.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to have to deal with more Nats hype.

The Yankees haven't really been that good since 2004. Sure, they won the 2009 WS, but they weren't a great team. The Yankees have lacked pitching and have been overreliant on HRs for the better part of a decade.

Now that Hank doesn't want to really spend, Cano might leave. Of course, if Cano does leave, then it's a sign that the Yankees won't be competing for the WS for years.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's going to be a fun season

With so much money tied up in aging players, and bad contracts, the Yankees really aren't in any position to spend. They have the second highest pay roll, but not the talent to compete, and there farm system is a mess. Hank is right not to spend. He should give Cano a fair contract, he's one of the best in baseball. Otherwise they should concentrate on developing younger players.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as we don't have to hear about Strasburg every 30 seconds, I'm okay.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll have to hear about Harper every 30 seconds, Strasburg only every 35 seconds

A part of me was secretly glad to see fat Mike Trout.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    You'll have to hear about Harper every 30 seconds, Strasburg only every 35 seconds

A part of me was secretly glad to see fat Mike Trout.
    Mike Trout was great and not just because he did really well, but because it meant that we didn't have to hear about Harper.

Teixeira's sprained wrist was only supposed to keep him out two weeks, but now it's 8-10 weeks.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

Talking about Harper, I go to turn on Around the Horn, and before we get to see it, we're treated to having to endure a spring training game of Strasburg vs Halladay, where Halladay outpitched Strasburg, although it was only over a few innings.

New Reply
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast