Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The Baseball Thread

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Baseball Thread

Nothing tops Ricky Williams signing Master P as his agent.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Despite losing Friday, seeing the Nats in person is always a treat. First time I got to see Bryce hit a home run in person; a laser beam, opposite field, line drive homer. I also got to see him get his first steal of the season. Detwiler was dealing too, he pitched a magnificent game. It is a shame the bullpen blew the lead. Giving up four runs in two innings is unacceptable. Right now the bullpen, and Ryan Zimmerman's arm, are my only real worry. The Braves are hot, there was almost no way to win. When even Chris Johnson goes 8/14 for the series, all you can do is get out of the way. Last year at this time Miami was leading the NL East. The Braves are a good team, they should get to 90 wins, but I do expect them to cool off soon. They are not the best team in the league.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Where do you see your Nats in comparison to the Braves? By the end of the season, you're still picking your Nats to win the division, I'm assuming, or do you think it'll be a tossup by the end?

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

We should've done a fantasy baseball league with the MH members. There have to be people who like baseball other than you, Gary, and I, Kaiten.

Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I played fantasy baseball once or twice before. It was alright, but having to worry about your line up on a daily basis is pretty annoying.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    I played fantasy baseball once or twice before. It was alright, but having to worry about your line up on a daily basis is pretty annoying.
    I played once. You don't actually have to worry about your line up on a daily basis. You can adjust your batters for later dates when your starters don't play or switch people around to get an extra hitter in or something.

The pitchers, you can set them up ahead of time as well, so you really only need to check back every so often. However, considering that we're all on the internet every day anyway, it only takes a couple of minutes to adjust your lineup if there's something you want to change.

Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    I played once. You don't actually have to worry about your line up on a daily basis. You can adjust your batters for later dates when your starters don't play or switch people around to get an extra hitter in or something.

The pitchers, you can set them up ahead of time as well, so you really only need to check back every so often. However, considering that we're all on the internet every day anyway, it only takes a couple of minutes to adjust your lineup if there's something you want to change.
    Yeah but you don't know when your starters aren't going to play unless they're on then DL. It doesn't account for lineup changes really unless you're really on it, as lineups come out so late.

I'm not saying it isn't funny, but I prefer Fantasy Football for obvious reasons. I'd be up to play, but I doubt we'd have enough players.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Where do you see your Nats in comparison to the Braves? By the end of the season, you're still picking your Nats to win the division, I'm assuming, or do you think it'll be a tossup by the end?
    The Braves can not be properly evaluated right now. They are too hot, and it is too early in the season. Paul Maholm's career ERA is 4.20, with a career 1.39 WHIP. Through 3 games he has not given up an earned run, with a .79 WHIP. Not even Pedro could sustain those numbers. Unless Justin Upton has matured into a cross between Tony Gwynn and Babe Ruth in their primes, he will not continue hitting .348 with an OPS of 1.306. The Braves have a really good team, I fully expect them to contend. If the Nationals bullpen plays to their career average than I do not think the division will be decided until September. Right now though I don't have much more insight than I had before the season started. April does not mean much. Look at the Reds. Last week they were as hot as anyone in baseball. They have since lost five straight, were swept by the Pirates, and had to put Johnny Cueto on the DL.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

I was delighted to see that FOX now includes OPS in their telecast, along with more traditional stats.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never taken the Reds seriously, so I'm not surprised though. The Braves still could potentially win 100 games. This is how you have to play if you want to win that games, but unfortunately, most teams who do win 100+ games end up tired out by the end of the season and don't win the WS.

Justin Upton is the new beast. Believe it.

Well, we've learned that signing for the Angels is the death knell for your career if you're starting to get older.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Take the Reds seriously. They are a very talented team, with the second most wins in the majors last year. They have a few injured players right now, once they are healthy they will be a nightmare. Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, Todd Frazier, Brandon Phillips, and Zack Cozart are all outstanding players. Good pitching, and a great bullpen too. They will be in contention this season. I'd say they are better than any AL team, except the Tigers.

The problem with the Braves is that they rely on power, and timely hitting. No one in their lineup really hits for average. They play great defense, and have the best bullpen in baseball. Eric O'Flaherty and Craig Kimbrel are unhittable. If the Braves can take a lead into the eighth, that's the end of it. They are not a 100 win team. They could lose in bunches whenever their hitters go through a slump, this is not a lineup capable of playing small ball. The Nats, Reds, and Giants are all capable of playing small ball if their power ever deserts them. The Braves have good starting pitching, but nothing great. All of their pitchers are "crafty", guys that can hit 90-91mph at best. All of their starters need to be hitting their spots, need a big strike zone, and need to be "on" in every game. If they are not, they are pretty easy to knock around. Their only power pitcher, Brandon Beachy, is recovering from Tommy John. He won't be back until the end of the season. He is their true ace. I think they are a playoff contender, but not a dominant team.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Kaiten, how exactly did you become a Nats fan? You, and everyone else, just adopted them when they moved to the DC area? I trust that you didn't support them when they were in Montreal, right?

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Kaiten, how exactly did you become a Nats fan? You, and everyone else, just adopted them when they moved to the DC area? I trust that you didn't support them when they were in Montreal, right?
    It was not like that, not exactly. Nostalgia is an important part of sports, especially for baseball. That's why bandwagon fans are so disliked. Loyalty is something built from a young age. Going to games as a kid, with your family. Watching the game every Sunday. Things like that. For an expansion team, or a relocated franchise, that loyalty has to be earned. Becoming attached to a local team as an adult feels really different than growing up with a team. Sometimes it never happens, no matter how much a team wins. Look at Jacksonville, the Jaguars did not take long to become a winning franchise. Watching the Nationals emerge as a winner was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had as a sports fan. A lot of people in the area would say the same. It was not just about the winning. It's a really likable team, they are fun to root for. It took a while for people to adopt this franchise. The Expos were in disarray when they moved here. The Nationals did not even have an owner for their first season. Until 2008 they were poorly run, signing unlikable players (like Elijah Dukes), and muffing draft picks. Not only were they losing, they were unlikable. That began to change once Mike Rizzo became interim GM. He changed the culture of the team. All of the head cases were gone after 2010, when they finally jettisoned guys like Nyjer Morgan. We're kind of in that comfortable position of rooting for a model franchise. Rizzo has remodeled us into an innovative team. Our training staff even includes a doctor who helps players train the muscles around their eyes. We won't win every season, nobody does. But we can rely on this team doing what it needs to field a winner. It also helps having a young player like Bryce. Don't get it twisted: Strasburg is more hyped nationally, Harper is more popular locally.

Speaking of, he really has not looked great this year. Ignore anyone who calls him an "ace". He's not there yet. It's easy to forget that he is only 24. If it helps parse the bullshit about young pitchers, here is Justin Verlanders career stats: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...erlaju01.shtml

Only two seasons (2011, 2012) with ERA under three. Only three with WAR over 5 (all star level). It's not that easy to become an "ace".

---------- Post added April 26, 2013 at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was April 20, 2013 at 01:58 PM ----------

And there you have it, just like that Paul Maholm is back to his career average. In one game he goes from a 1.03 ERA with a .87 WHIP, to 3.30 and 1.20. Detroit just rocked him for 10 H, 8 R, and 3 BB, chasing him from the game after 3.2 innings. Annibal Sanchez with 17 SO after 8 shutout innings. I watched Jordan Zimmermann pitch a masterpiece tonight, a one hit, complete game shut out. Took him only 91 pitches. Second Nats one hitter in a row, both against the Reds. The staff is really starting to pitch well, the bullpen is looking good, and defense coming into shape.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I hadn't looked at it like that.

With OKC, even when they were awful, the fans just jumped onto them because they wanted a team and didn't care what it looked like. Then when they started winning, they got more fans.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

OKC? As in the Thunder?

Attendance was very good in 2005, the Nats first season here. People really wanted baseball, they came out and supported the team. Most of that good will was squandered, for the reasons I listed above. People genuinely have come to love this team over the last couple of years. Since Rizzo took over the culture of the franchise really has improved. It's become something of a model franchise, akin to the Giants or Braves. The owner spend money, the farm system is well stocked, good talent has been accumulated. It's a fun team, they've really endeared themselves to the community. It did not hurt that we lucked out in the draft. Not only did we get back to back number one picks, we somehow managed to get Strasburg and Harper in back to back years.

Some kind of great pitching night, tonight. Wei-Yin Chen is throwing a 2 hit shut out through eight. He looked a little gassed, but buckled down and got three easy outs in the bottom of the eighth. At 106 pitches it doesn't look like he'll get to pitch the 9th.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    OKC? As in the Thunder?

Attendance was very good in 2005, the Nats first season here. People really wanted baseball, they came out and supported the team. Most of that good will was squandered, for the reasons I listed above. People genuinely have come to love this team over the last couple of years. Since Rizzo took over the culture of the franchise really has improved. It's become something of a model franchise, akin to the Giants or Braves. The owner spend money, the farm system is well stocked, good talent has been accumulated. It's a fun team, they've really endeared themselves to the community. It did not hurt that we lucked out in the draft. Not only did we get back to back number one picks, we somehow managed to get Strasburg and Harper in back to back years.

Some kind of great pitching night, tonight. Wei-Yin Chen is throwing a 2 hit shut out through eight. He looked a little gassed, but buckled down and got three easy outs in the bottom of the eighth. At 106 pitches it doesn't look like he'll get to pitch the 9th.
    Yes, as in the Thunder.

Given that I don't currently live in a city that has a team, although I have lived in Boston, what exactly is so important about having a pro team to go watch?

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

It's just a different atmosphere at the game. The crowd, the noise, the food, seeing the players in the flesh, getting a better feel for the speed of the game. A home run is even more dramatic in person. Baseball and hockey in particular are more fun in person.

The Sonics were a very different franchise, moving under very different circumstances. Though they were rebuilding at the time, until recently they had been one of the NBA's marquee franchises. Seattle was a basketball city, the Sonics were the only local pro team to ever win a title. Nobody knows why the team was sold to an out of town group, local investors made viable bids. It was well known from the start that Clay Bennett planned on moving the team. He used stadium funding as an excuse to move them, he may or may not have negotiated with the city in bad faith. The team drafted Durant before their last season in Seattle, and were thus able to move with a highly marketable, budding superstar.

The Expos were a historically unstable franchise, with a limited local fan base. They developed some great talent over the years (Gary Carter, Andre Dawson, Pedro, Randy Johnson, Larry Walker, Vlad Guerrero, etc.) but could never afford to resign their own free agents. By the early 2000's, their games were no longer broadcast in English. Then owner Jeffery Loria gutted the team, before selling them back to Major League Baseball, as part of his successful bid to buy the Marlins. Baseball planned to contract the Expos, along with the Minnesota Twins, who successfully sued to prevent contraction. The MLB were thus stuck with the Expos, and began looking into relocation. It took them two years to relocate to DC (they actually played select "home games" in Puerto Rico for a while), and then another year to find owners. The team, which didn't have fans in the first place, was by then gutted, bereft of talent at all levels. While fans were excited for baseball, the team quickly proved not only bad, but often unlikable. Aside from a notable few players like Ryan Zimmerman and Chad Cordero, many of the players they signed were very difficult to like. Surly malcontents, with a number of players getting in legal trouble. For a little perspective, the immortal Nyjer Morgan was a starter during Strasburg's rookie year. Rizzo started clearing those guys as our farm system started producing more talent.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Halladay needs shoulder surgery. He says he may be back before the season's over, but I highly doubt it.

New Reply
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast