Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: The Baseball Thread

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Baseball Thread

Removing a bone spur is a relatively minor procedure. If he were 29, or 32, he'd probably come back this season. At 35 it's not as promising. Who knows. It's not like he fully tore his rotator cuff. This is not the same surgery Johan Santana had. His career really is done. Even though he plays for the Phillies, I wish Doc all the best. One of the best over the last ten years, and one of the all time great sinker ball pitchers. Even more impressive when you consider he pitched most of his career in the steroid era. A first ballot hall of famer, without a doubt.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

That is why I said that I figured his season was over.

You're assuming, of course, Kaiten, that Doc never used the juice, even if just to help heal an injury. At this point, I never know what to think as so many players who you'd never think would use steroids did use steroids.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

He was always to lumpy looking. Not a steroid physique. Same with Pedro. I doubt Griffey juiced either.

Jordan Zimmermann just carved up the Tigers. 7 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 SO on 101 pitches. Bottom of the seventh, the Nats are into the Tigers bullpen. This was the first run Zimmerman allowed in 20 innings, and the first time he allowed a base runner past second in that time.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Good game for Harper tonight too. 1-3, 2 RBI, 1 HR, 1 SF. He had been slumping a little, good to see.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know, using steroids to hasten the healing process doesn't give you a steroid body. The truth, and it's a sad truth, is that, at this point, you have to question every star athlete in baseball.

I don't think Doc ever used steroids, but that's not the point.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Baseball test now. If you have to question baseball, you have to question all sports. I am most suspicious of the sports that never suspend anyone for steroids.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Baseball test now. If you have to question baseball, you have to question all sports. I am most suspicious of the sports that never suspend anyone for steroids.
    I was going to say, "then you have to question all star athletes," but I figured that that sounded too jaded. Yes, you do have to wonder about basketball.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but we're talking about Baseball...

Anyways, I remember back when testing first got stricter, with harsher penalties. A lot of the positives seemed to be pitchers, shedding new light on the use of PDEs. You always assumed some hulking monster to be taking them.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Yeah, but we're talking about Baseball...

Anyways, I remember back when testing first got stricter, with harsher penalties. A lot of the positives seemed to be pitchers, shedding new light on the use of PDEs. You always assumed some hulking monster to be taking them.
    Yeah, and that's what I was implying about Doc, Gary. Any pitcher who was awesome in the steroid era must raise eyebrows.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Yeah, and that's what I was implying about Doc, Gary. Any pitcher who was awesome in the steroid era must raise eyebrows.
    It's not necessarily steroids for recovering from an injury either. There's HGH likely involved as well. Steroids can add bulk, sure. But a lot of people cycle on and off of it to stay stronger and fresh through the season. It's a grind man, and everyone gets worn down here and there. Using PDEs the right way reduces these lulls.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    It's not necessarily steroids for recovering from an injury either. There's HGH likely involved as well. Steroids can add bulk, sure. But a lot of people cycle on and off of it to stay stronger and fresh through the season. It's a grind man, and everyone gets worn down here and there. Using PDEs the right way reduces these lulls.
    I was just including everything under the lump sum of PEDs.

We know a lot of potential HoF pitchers have used PEDs.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Besides Clemons, what "potential" HOF pitchers have been connected to steroids? Not your suspicions, but actual public allegations. Shilling has been connected to steroids, but he is a borderline HOF'er at best. I can dig suspecting certain players based on performance spikes, body mass change, etc. Brady Anderson suddenly hitting 50 home runs was suspicious. Barry Bonds massive head was suspicious. ARod turning up on all those Biogenensis documents was suspicious. But this whole "everyone is guilty until proven innocent, but there is no way to prove anyone innocent" dance gets really old. Steroids are a problem, but it has gotten to the point where media and fan suspicion has become Kafka-esque paranoia.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Pettite used PEDs. Mussina's probably not a HoFer, but he used PEDs, iirc.

I do wonder heavily about Toronto's Bautista.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Besides Clemons, what "potential" HOF pitchers have been connected to steroids? Not your suspicions, but actual public allegations. Shilling has been connected to steroids, but he is a borderline HOF'er at best. I can dig suspecting certain players based on performance spikes, body mass change, etc. Brady Anderson suddenly hitting 50 home runs was suspicious. Barry Bonds massive head was suspicious. ARod turning up on all those Biogenensis documents was suspicious. But this whole "everyone is guilty until proven innocent, but there is no way to prove anyone innocent" dance gets really old. Steroids are a problem, but it has gotten to the point where media and fan suspicion has become Kafka-esque paranoia.
    What does HoF consideration have to do with any of this? I'm merely saying that the amount of pitchers suspended for PEDs is disproportionate to what you'd expect. Out of the 30 major leaguers suspended at least once for positive tests, 14 were/are pitchers. It goes against what you'd think PEDs are generally used for, liked I said, power hitting. The numbers are sort of mirrored among minor leaguers with MLB experience - 22 out of 47 are pitchers. People generally look to these guys with inflated power numbers, when in reality, the people throwing the ball to them should be viewed with just as much suspicion.

The paranoia isn't the media's fault, it's MLB's fault. But they can't protect their brand from everything, if people are careful enough, they'll never get caught. Millions of dollars are at stake.

---------- Post added May 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was May 11, 2013 at 05:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by riki View Post

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That balk was bullshit. Should have been an 8 inning shutout. A masterpiece by Strasburg nevertheless.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Nothing feels more satisfying than taking a series from the Phillies. I don't care how mediocre they have become, I still hate them.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Tehran walked Ike Davis. Ike Davis should never be walked. He's currently on a 2-44 streak.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Ike Davis clutch 2 RBI single

Gave the Mets a 2 run lead, bottom of the eighth.

---------- Post added May 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was May 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM ----------

An interesting article about Walter Johnson's (bizarre) throwing motion http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...walter-johnson

---------- Post added June 01, 2013 at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was May 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM ----------

Anthony Rendon was promoted to AAA last night. AAA is not somewhere top prospects are meant to stay for long, unless they are blocked. Top prospects are sent to AAA for polishing, final preparations before recalling them to the majors. Should be interesting to see how much second base (he came up as a third baseman) he plays, there is a good chance they are prepping him to replace Danny Espinosa (.164/.195/.283).

---------- Post added June 26, 2013 at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was June 01, 2013 at 11:31 AM ----------

Tommy John surgery for Dylan Bundy. Good thing he's only 20.

---------- Post added July 22, 2013 at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was June 26, 2013 at 03:29 PM ----------

Heads have started to role, Braun suspended for the rest fo the season. In exchange for the reduced suspension, he has waived his right to appeal.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Kozma

Did this boob really beat us?

New Reply
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast