Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The Baseball Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member miyi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Baseball Topic

How about Alex Rodriguez having an unprecedented month of April, huh? He already has 14 homeruns, tying Albert Pujols for most HR's in a month, I think. And he still has several games left to break the record.

Here are his season's stats, currently:

Statistics:

Last Week
    AVG: .440
    HR: 4
    RBI: 8
    R: 9
    SB: 1
    OPS: 1.481

2007 Season
    AVG: .378
    HR: 14
    RBI: 34
    R: 26
    SB: 2
    OPS: 1.412

Career
    AVG: .306
    HR: 478
    RBI: 1381
    R: 1384
    SB: 243
    OPS: .964

(Ok, just to let you guys know, I know only fairly little about baseball. I can barely understand what half of the stats mean. )

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity PaperYomiko's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A-Rod?! bah!!
    Just kidding, he is having a great start, I just feel superstitious about praising him before our series this weekend... I'm not a hater though

but how about the sox getting four home runs in a row last weekend, that was insane! Even my dad was psyched about that, which is rare
    "Peace to the books of the world, an iron hammer to those who would abuse them..."

Venom65437

I think A-Rod might have about 32947397439574957 home runs this year, and that's if he gets injured.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^^ As long as none of them are against the Sox, that'd be fine with me
    "Peace to the books of the world, an iron hammer to those who would abuse them..."

Venom65437

Well, it would appear that the Yankees are your bitch this year...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

seriously...it does seem that way, doesn't it? 5/6 in the first two series...I almost feel bad for Torre, having such awful pitching...er, not really though

Venom65437

I'm VERY worried about Bob Wickman, the last two games he's been awful, can't throw a strike, and he cost us the game today. This is very bad.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

so...the sox/yankees might open next season in Japan ?! and maybe the padres/dodgers... that's weird...but kind of cool...

Venom65437

I actually don't like our leagues playing games that count in other countries. I think it's ridiculous. My Phins have a "home" game in London this year. Retarded.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

who are the Phins?

but it does seem to be just a publicity stunt. It's weird though, considering how tickets sell for a sox/yankees game, let alone season opener, that they'd do that. for the Japanese fans though, its cool.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

by Phins I believe he is talking about the Miami Dolphins (an NFL team, of which he is a fan of).

I don't mind games being played in other countries, whether they're just exhibition games, or games that "count". Like already said, it's good for publicity, and overall, to promote the game of baseball across the globe. That's always a good thing. This way, the young Ichiros, the young Matsui, the young Albert Pujols, etc., will get to see pro athletes play in their own homeland. In other words, it's a great tool as far as recruiting future foreign players, because witnessing these pro baseball games happen within their homeland will be a great source of inspiration for them.

Speaking of baseball, what's everyone's thoughts on Barry Bonds possibly surpassing Hank Aaron's homerun record? Will you cheer for him? Will you be indifferent about it? Will you "boo" him?

Because of all the steroids thing, assuming Bonds did it, I'll still cheer for him. Hey, it's an amazing accomplishment, with or without steroids.

I personally don't mind steroids being previously used by baseball players. If baseball players really cared about the fact that they were being "cheated" of the game, then how come nobody was courageous enough to "rat" on somebody, a long time ago? The fact that this has been allowed to happen "underground" for so long, and it's widespread use, I don't see the big deal. As a fan, I pay to watch players perform. I'm not bothered too much about "performance-enhancing drugs", because heck, let's admit it, that's what we, fans, paid to see.

As far as I'm concerned, it was the non-steroid-using-players who were the real victims. But they were too wussy to open their mouths about it, so then that must mean it didn't bother them that much, either.

So yeah, good luck Bonds! Quit accusing the man unless you have solid evidence, and let the man play some baseball.

EDIT:

Did you guys hear about Roger Clemen's return to the Yankees? Yeah, I just heard it in the news last night. Hmm...will he still be able to play, despite being 44? I'm optimistic, I'm sure he'll do well.
    Last edited by miyi; May 07, 2007 at 11:24 AM.

Venom65437

I hope Bonds breaks both his legs or something. I don't want to see no cheater get this record, and I think it's a damn shame that he will get it.

Also, about other players being too wussy to speak out about it, remember that most of the players that we think/know did steroids were not only the best players on their team, but among the best in the league. Like any other job situation, it's very hard to speak out against the "top dog."

Forget Clemens, did you hear the Yankees radio announcer talking about it? Was she seeing the second coming Roger Clemens or the second coming of Jesus?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I mean, you're right...and I'm not condoning steroid use. Assuming Bonds used steroids, then he is in fact a “cheater”.

But if you think about it, this sort of "cheating" is inevitable, and there are many pressures involved that made "cheating" tempting, that players like Ruth, Hank Aaron, Gherig and those guys never had to face ---- and that pressure is "money".

Nowadays, baseball players are paid in the millions of dollars. As you can imagine, these “cheaters” weren’t concerned at all about breaking “records”…all they cared about was the economic benefits of cheating.

These “selfish” actions are understandable and very human. I believe any great player would have been susceptible to such pressure. If Ruth and those guys were to face these similar economic pressures, I’m sure at least one of them would have succumbed to “cheating”. It’s unethical, but it isn’t stupid. Not when the benefit equals millions of dollars.

I don’t condone it, but I understand why they did it. So if Bonds breaks that record, it really doesn’t matter. Even he knows he did it dishonorably, and he doesn’t need us to remind him of it.

Venom65437

Barry Bonds was arguably the best player in baseball before he juiced up. He was jealous of McGwire and Sosa getting all the attention while he was accomplishing things that had never been done before.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Uchiha Slayer's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Not really...He was good before he got juiced up...
    <br />Dont look me in the eyes or you&#039;ll be sorry

New Reply
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast