Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Baseball Thread

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Baseball Thread

Well I'm assuming you live in more in the DC metro area if you have no allegiance to the Orioles. I have civic pride, so even with an inept owner, I still bleed Black and Orange.

But is Chapman going to stay a reliever? The way he's hyped, makes me believe he'll be a starter at some point.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member fleshcut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

lol i'd i don't feel like looking up if he was a starter in cuba i'd have to assume he would at some point but i doubt he could throw that hard for six or seven innings

always looking for people to help

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

No, he definitely wouldn't. Thus I don't understand the tattoo and all of the hype. If he's most effective as a reliever coming in and bringing the heat, fine. Why risk making him a starter, when he'll probably just end up blowing out his arm?...unless his motion is really as smooth as they say it is.

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally got to see Strasburg start today and as usual, he did not disappoint. 6 IP, 2 H, 9 SO, 3 BB. This is turning into the typical Strasburg line. Watching this guy pitch is amazing, I have never seen anyone like him. He's been even better since coming back from surgery. Before surgery he was a strike out pitcher, now he is just as good at forcing weak pop ups and grounders.

If the Nat's can get more production out of the middle of the order this will be a great team. Zimmerman has been in a bit of a slump to start the season, if he breaks out of it the offense should take off. Desmond and Espinosa have been great early, the back of the line up has contributed competent small ball. All that is needed is someone to knock them in. Harper will be in triple A until June, at least. Until he comes up it will be up to Zimmerman and Werth.
    Last edited by Kaiten; April 11, 2012 at 08:33 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Post season award predictions? Here are mine:

AL:
    • MVP: Miguel Cabrera
    • Cy Young: Jared Weaver
    • Rookie of the Year: Mike Trout
    • Manager of the Year: Buck Showalter
    NL:
    • MVP: Buster Posey
    • Cy Young: Gio Gonzalez
    • Rookie of the Year: Bryce Harper
    • Manager of the Year: Davey Johnson

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't followed stats enough to care, but I must say that Mike Trout has impressed me overall more than Bryce Harper has. Not like that matters though.

Orioles Magic number is 3 for a playoff spot. Hoping the Yankees drop a game or two or three and open a window for us. I think we can easily win the series against the Red Sox, they look dead. If Bobby Valentine was well-liked in the clubhouse I think they would be looking for revenge after what we did to them last year, but I don't think they have it in them. And I'm not sure if they'll bother getting up for the Yankees to help us out either. What I worry about is the Rays, I think they've won 8 in a row or something. If they can continue taking advantage of how woeful the White Sox have been in the past two weeks or so, there Wild Card hopes aren't completely dead.

Though, thinking about it...if I neglect the Wild Card one-game playoff and just think about who I'd rather play, I'm not sure who I would just between Texas and Detroit.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Only one game back with five left to play, the Orioles finishing first is not inconceivable. Unfortunately the Yankees remaining schedule is against Toronto and Boston, the Orioles still have three games against Tamapa. There is no doubt they will get the top wild card spot, winning the division will take a little luck.

Mike Trout is having an excellent year, but a terrible September. He really does deserve to be in the MVP talk, but Miggy is having a better season (.327/.392/.602, 42hr, 133RBI). Trouts numbers are great, but except for BA and OBP, don't quite compare (.321/.393/.555, 29HR, 79RBI). His RBI totals are low because he is batting lead off.

The comparisons between Trout and Harper never really were valid. There is a reason serious baseball reporters (Thomas Boswell, Peter Gammans, Buster Olney, Jayson Stark, Jerry Crasnick, etc) never made them. Trout was a late season call up in 2011, playing forty games with 123 at bats. That is the max for a player without losing rookie status the following year. He was 19 when called up, turning 20 during the season. His slash in 2011 was .220/.281/.390 with 27H, 5HR, 15RBI. Through the same number of at bats, Harper was much better. Trout also had an off season to train and adjust, before this season. He was also drafted a year before Bryce, in 2009, logging more games and more at bats in the minor league. Trout played 286 games in the minors, with 1117 at bats. Bryce played 130 games in the minors with 461 at bats. Both players essentially skipped AAA; both started 2012 in AAA, Trout played in 20 games and Bryce in 21 before being called up. That is not to say Bryce will be better than Trout, just that it is far to soon for comparisons. Also remember that Trout has Mark Trumbo and Albert Pujols behind him. Both players have had second half slumps. Trumbo hit .204/.263/.287 in August, 161/.188/.242 in September with only 4HR and 23RBI. Pujols slash line was strong in August and September, but in September his power numbers declined sharply, with only 1HR, 11RBI, and .443SLG. Without protection Trouts production has declined sharply over the last two months; .284/.366/.500 in August and .255/.369/.436 in September. By comparison, Bryce had a horrible August (.243/.292/.456) but has played his best ball of the season in September (.316/.385/.622).

Their circumstances are very different. Bryce will not turn twenty until October 16. It is better to compare him to other teenage ballplayers. He has already set a record for extra base hits by a teenager, is second in home runs (with 21, only the second teenager with more than 20 in a season), second in runs (94), second in steals (17), fourth in doubles (23), fifth in triples (9), second in walks (54), third in OPS (.799), and second in WAR (4.5, according to Fangraphs). He is the first teenage rookie with 15 or more home runs and 15 or more steals since Ken Griffey, Jr.

A better comparison would actually be Manny Machado, closer in age and experience to Bryce. Both are class of 2010 (Bryce went number one, Manny number 3). Manny turned 20 in July, only a few months older than Bryce. His numbers are actually very similar to Bryce's, after a similar number of at bats. Manny's slash line (.270/.296/.449) through 46 games and 178 bats are very similar to Bryce's at the same point in his season , though Bryce's OBP and SLG were higher at a similar point in his career. That seems to be changing, Manny's line over the last seven days is a ridiculous .346/.433/.654 with 9H, 2DB, 2HR, 4BB to only 5SO. This weeks BB/K ratio is a revelation; he walked 5 times in all of September. He's obviously adjusting to the strike zone, and getting more comfortable at the plate. Like Bryce, there should be no doubt that Manny is the truth, a future superstar.
    Last edited by Kaiten; September 29, 2012 at 11:32 AM.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Machado has impressed but I was thinking of those eligible

I'm not sure what is unfair about comparing the two since they both play the same position and are TECHNICALLY rookies. They're both good players, but Trout is playing like Mickey Mantle reincarnated. I see more about him in context with the American Leagues as well.

Plus it's easy to dislike Harper...little twat

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Machado qualifies, he has more than 130 at bats.

Apples and oranges are both fruit, that does not mean they need to be compared. Unlike other sports, circumstances and context are important in baseball. Bryce and Trout have little in common, other than both being rookie outfielders. It's the same reason nobody directly compares Todd Frazier or Wade Miley to Mike Trout, the circumstances are to different. For various reasons people like comparing Bryce and Trout in a way not typical of baseball players, especially rookies. The fact that they are in different leagues makes it even stranger. Comparisons between Manny and Bryce work much better. Similar age, similar minor league experience, similar numbers, similar impact on their teams. Bryce has obviously played more Major League games, so the comparison can still only be taken so far. Let's save the comparison until both are tenured. Next year will tell us more.

Mickey Mantle didn't play like Mickey Mantle his rookie year. He played like Bryce Harper
    Actually, Bryce has had a slightly better rookie year. Mantle was sent back down to the minors for part of his rookie year. Bryce and Mantle actually have near identical rookie slash lines, .266/.336/.468 to Mantle's .267/.349/.443. Mantle had more RBI's but fewer runs, steals, hits, and extra base hits.

The biggest difference between Bryce and Trout is that Bryce will have the first opportunity to shine in the playoffs. That is hardly Trout's fault, just a matter of fact. Bryce has played his best ball in September, and has gotten better and better over the course of the month. He has the potential to come up big in October, an opportunity Trout will not have.

You don't watch Nats games, or follow the National League, so I will forgive your misconceptions about Bryce. Since coming up, he definitely has not been a twat. In April he was boo'd everywhere he went. Now they do not even boo him in Philly.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm talking about his attitude at times in interviews. It's entertaining, me and my Dad love to call him a little punk. It's not really based on anything other than that

It may not be by-the-book, but I still have no issues comparing the two myself. They're both young outfielders, but it doesn't mean the comparison is final at all. I would compare him to Trout before I would to Machado overall, but offensively it's fair game.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

In a few years Bryce will be one of the most genuinely popular players in baseball. He's already earned the respect of Phillies fans, the rest of the world can't be far behind. Before he was called up I think everyone wanted to make him into some self-entitled diva, which just isn't true. In reality he's a gritty, blue collar style player. Best comparison I can think of is Mike Schmidt. I expect similar numbers from Bryce too; 30+ hr/15+ SB/20+ DB a year, .270+ BA/.370+ OBP/.500+ SLG, 5+ WAR.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

Bryce can definitely be one of the goofier interviews in baseball. Some of his quotes have become part of DC sports vernacular though. "Clown question", of course, is one. "Sun Monster", is the other, more recent example. He's also been a community fixture, very rare for non-natives. It's rare to see athletes or politicians out in the community, Bryce and Obama are both exceptions. They both have made concerted efforts to keep a high profile locally. Usually that is the reserve of native celebrities, such as Kevin Durant.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Washington Nationals, 2012 NL East division champions

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Geez I wish the Red Sox didn't suck so badly

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That was seriously bad luck, having to close the season against the Rays.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, today our slot will pretty much be decided or not. Unless of course the Yankees lose, then anything can happen.

This is in full ignorance of any tiebreaker games because even though the game would be played here, I don't want such a thing to happen.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

After not having a team of our own for so long, last night was such an amazing moment. In my time as a sports fan the 1991 Redskins are the only thing I can think of as exciting as the 2012 Nationals, and I was to young to appreciate that team the way I appreciated this Nationals team.

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Well, today our slot will pretty much be decided or not. Unless of course the Yankees lose, then anything can happen.

This is in full ignorance of any tiebreaker games because even though the game would be played here, I don't want such a thing to happen.
    A tiebreaker would not be good for either team. The loser would have to play two games, the tiebreaker and wild card game, before ever beginning a playoff series. That would be a nightmare. Imagining trying to set a rotation for the divisional series.

New Reply
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast