Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Baseball Thread

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Baseball Thread

That's what I was getting at. It would be nice to play both games at home, and a part of me should just be happy we're playing more than 162 games...but no, do not want.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I f*&$ing hate the Cardinals and [by proxy] the Rams, Blues, arches, provel, Lewis and Clarke, the Louisiana Purchase, and Mississippi River. Yes I'm still bitter. Despite the loss, this season was still the most fun I've had as a sports fan in a very long time. Can't wait until April.

---------- Post added November 13, 2012 at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was October 21, 2012 at 12:04 PM ----------

The hell is going on with the Marlins

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Buyers remorse?

Hell, maybe it was planned from the start just to drum up buzz for the new stadium last year.

It makes the AL East a shitload more interesting on top of the usually things though

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Buyers remorse? They just opened a publicly funded mindfuck of a ballpark

The traded everyone who makes money. Anyone left either is not eligible for arbitration or making the minimum. Giancarlo Stanton is all they have left and he's pissed. Worst part is that this is not the first Marlins fire sale, at least the last two came after World Series wins. Loria is a genius at destroying markets. He's the reason the Nationals are even in DC. I wonder where the Marlins move to. Considering their history, I can't imagine building any type of fanbase in Miami anytime soon.

I'm glad to know the NL East has a guaranteed 100 loss team. Not that the Marlins were that good to begin with.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

The Marlins are just such a unique case. A newer franchise that has really had a bunch of success, even after gutting the team the first time they won the World Series. Plus, just like any other Pro sports team in Florida, no one goes to the games. It's just so bizarre.

As far as where they move, I'm not even aware of any talks of untapped markets elsewhere in the country like you sometimes here in the NFL. So no idea really.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy shit! The Nats just signed Rafael Soriano, two years $28mil. Did we really just sign a player away form the Yankees? Great off season, Rizzo has made some (at least on paper) brilliant moves this winter. None that cripple the team financially four or five years from now, either. We won't have to worry about dealing with the financial quagmire the Yankees currently are mired in. Hopefully we can get some good prospects back for Michael Morse.
    Last edited by Kaiten; January 15, 2013 at 02:50 PM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I sort of disagreed with letting Soriano go, but Hank says that the Yankees need to be below $189m salary a year, and with bums like A-Rod on the payroll, what can you do? Mariano's getting older and I don't know how he'll be this season after the injury, albeit not a pitching injury. I thought that Soriano could be the Yankees future closer, but at this rate, I guess not.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

In the long run, letting Soriano go was a good move for the Yankees. They will receive a first round compensatory pick (31, I believe) from the Nationals, and additional rookie pool money. The Yankees don't have a very good farm system, they are better off stockpiling prospects right now. Soriano is already a 33 year old veteran, good for a team ready to win now, not as much for a team in decline. In the short term this hurts there chances in 2013. Who knows what condition Riviera is in right now.

I'll really miss Michael Morse, a really fun player. Singing along to "Take on Me" is one of my favorite memories of the season. I was shocked we got A.J. Cole back in the deal, after trading him for Gio last off season. While he did not have a great year in the Oakland system last year, Baseball America still lists him as Oakland's number three prospect, and top minor league pitcher. He's got time to develop, our rotation is loaded. We can afford to leave him in the minors for three or four years.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member predsfan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Anybody else excited for the World Baseball Classic? Looking over the rosters, I have to say there appear to be several teams that could win it. A lot of America's "top" players aren't playing,most of the Latin countries have some pretty good big leaguers on their teams, although I've never heard of anyone on the Japanese team, I don't doubt they're a good group considered they've won the only 2 WBCs, and Canada's team seems fairly solid as well. All in all, in a tournament like this, its really going to come down to pitching, and that's why I'm still hoping Justin Verlander will decide to play (if anything, it would be cool to see JV vs. Miggy).

Anyway, my predictions:
    1. USA (Murica, that's why)
    2. Venezuela (best hitter in the game, and a pretty solid lineup)
    3. Japan (back to back winners)

Regardless, I'm just happy there will be competitive baseball in March.
    This Post Available in Double Vision [Where Drunk]
    "I am the man with no name. Zapp Brannigan at your service."

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have high hopes for team USA. Giancarlo Stanton, Ryan Braun, and David Wright are the only real elite players on the team. The starting pitching looks mediocre. R.A. Dickey had a great season, but he's not exactly who I want as a number one starter. If the best American pitchers were actually in the rotation we'd steam roll the field. Imagine what a rotation of Clayton Kershaw, Matt Cain, Justin Verlander, Jared Weaver, and David Price would do.

I'm most interested in the Netherlands. They probably won't win, but they have some interesting players on their team. I can't wait to see more of Jurickson Profar, even if he probably will be called up by the end of April or beginning of May.

I'd give the edge to Venezuela, unlike the US and Domincan Republic, they are fielding a team with some top MLB talent. King Felix will be pitching, so will Anibal Sanchez. Panda, Miggy Cabrera, CarGo, and Asdrubal Cabrera will all be in the lineup. Some good role players like Marco Scutaro too. Japan usually fields top talent from their league, they should contend again. Looks like Yu Darvish won't be pitching though.
    Last edited by Kaiten; January 18, 2013 at 11:53 PM.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Brian Cashman says that it's possible that A-Rod could miss the entire season after his latest hip surgery.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

After watching them in the playoffs, they almost seem better off without ARod. He can't hit anymore, or field. As a fan of a National League team, I don't really care about the Yankees. Don't like them, don't hate them.

Out of curiosity: the National League has now won four of the last five World Series (2008, 2010, 2011, 2012), and six of the last ten (also 2003 and 2006). Why do fans still consider the American League better?

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    After watching them in the playoffs, they almost seem better off without ARod. He can't hit anymore, or field. As a fan of a National League team, I don't really care about the Yankees. Don't like them, don't hate them.

Out of curiosity: the National League has now won four of the last five World Series (2008, 2010, 2011, 2012), and six of the last ten (also 2003 and 2006). Why do fans still consider the American League better?
    Well, people like offense and HRs more than small ball and defense. The NL has been better than the AL for a while now, but the AL's more "exciting."

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the Red Sox and Yankees being in the AL have a lot to do with it as well. They attract so much attention.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    I think the Red Sox and Yankees being in the AL have a lot to do with it as well. They attract so much attention.
    That is true as well.

New Reply
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast