Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)

View Poll Results: What you liked the most about the chapter?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • LEORIO!

49 76.56%
  • Morau can handle EVERYTHING.

15 23.44%
  • Gon is JUST about to be saved.

6 9.38%
  • Pariston Speech

3 4.69%
  • The elections finally start!

7 10.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
New Reply
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter x Hunter Chapter 325 Discussion

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter x Hunter Chapter 325 Discussion / 326 Prediction

Quote Originally Posted by ish3 View Post
    This chapter was awesome. Leorios return was completely stunning and he's still himself. Regardless I wonder what he's learned and if he has any battle experience. I'm more interested in his growth since well kurapica seems limited if you ask me.
    Kurapika didn't reveal all his chains yet ...

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member hunted's Avatar
    Country
    Bhutan
    Post Thanks / Like

leorio reminds me by tsunade in naruto by his position
    in that election may be leorio will be the chair man ...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Host Samurai's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ish3 View Post
    This chapter was awesome. Leorios return was completely stunning and he's still himself. Regardless I wonder what he's learned and if he has any battle experience. I'm more interested in his growth since well kurapica seems limited if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    Kurapika didn't reveal all his chains yet ...
    You seem to forget that only his judgement chain is only exclusively limited for the Ryodan, while the others chains don't seem to be limited. And don't forget his Emperor Time, which he can use freely.

Which Chain hasn't he revealed again? I think it was his index finger IIRC.

Credits:Shinsatsu

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member hunted's Avatar
    Country
    Bhutan
    Post Thanks / Like

gin look down in the direction of the hit before he get it
    so he took it in purpose ...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Host Samurai View Post
    That he threatened Komugi was also no 'big deal' from his point of view because he didn't know her and he probably assumed that she is an 'ally' because she was important to Pitou.
    That's exactly why I don't like this. Until bug arc he was never someone who didn't give a shit about others just because he didn't know them. He was angry at Genei Ryodan they could kill people as easily, he didn't like when Killua was killing people (hence Killua said on several occasions that he won't use a "shortcut" because of what Gon might think). He was the opposite. He would risk his life for complete strangers and spare even the biggest scumbags (like Bomber or that scissors guy). In HxH world he was one of the few that wasn't swimming in cesspool. With this whole Kaito thing Togashi has scratched all that. He was risking everything not for people but for himself and/or Kaito. He cared only about revenge, everything else was irrelevant. That's just ridiculous as is this whole arc where bugs appearing out of thin air become in seconds most powerful creatures in the world, lol.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member AandWguy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I love this chapter right here, this is probably the best chapter since hunterxhunter has started going again. leorio kicking ging's ass, I never saw it coming, i thought these spoilers were fake just due to imaging leorio actually doing that.
    Suprise!!! Gotta love those faces!

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Raad's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

@Goral: In fact I liked that aspect of Gon's psychology, he's indeed exceptional, but not that much. Before, he was almost an example of forgiveness and everyone was all about how he was free from hatred, but all it took to tickle his weak point was killing Kaito and being confronted with the killer to transform Gon into quite the bastard. I think it just speaks about how no matter how good you can appear to people or think of yourself, as a human you can never be flawless.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hamy's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Makes sense now how leorio acquired votes, his little act there garnered him attention. Though with Leorio managing to hit Ging I wouldn't over think it at this point - it doesn't necessarily attest to a weakness of Ging since we can also see it as him allowing himself to be hit (perhaps he saw a worthy candidate in Leorio or just because Leorio was clearly a friend of his son one that cared or it could be that he just didn't bother reacting despite seeing it since its not something worth avoiding seeing as it would calm Leorio down much sooner and since it wouldn't be painful to a guy like him there being no killing intent he could easily not care to dodge). Though I may be leaning to the last reason as it is more in character of Ging simply not wanting to do too much effort on things that aren't worth it.

As to regarding why the family wants to keep things a secret should be clear that they don't want anyone to misuse or rather even use Alluka's ability - for obvious purposes but what I guess is less obvious is in their own way they still consider Alluka a family in not opting to kill their child.
    Last edited by Hamy; November 18, 2011 at 07:40 AM.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Wisshard's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter x Hunter Chapter 325 Spoiler Discussion

Leorio was awesome, but I kind of hope that he hasn't had a similarly ridiculous plot growth like Kurapica (who went from newbie to a master nen-user (capable of going toe-to-toe with the most powerful reinforcement user among the spiders) in a couple of months) had in the months before York Shin. He should be strong for sure, but he shouldn't overshadow Killua's and Gon's growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    Pitou is thus far the most powerful user that has exhibited surgery-type powers and it doesn't look like he can do anything more than what a team of surgeons can.
    Don't forget Kurapica's Healing Chain, with which he was able to heal his broken arm pretty much instantly.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter x Hunter Chapter 325 Spoiler Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Wisshard View Post
    Leorio was awesome, but I kind of hope that he hasn't had a similarly ridiculous plot growth like Kurapica (who went from newbie to a master nen-user (capable of going toe-to-toe with the most powerful reinforcement user among the spiders) in a couple of months) had in the months before York Shin. He should be strong for sure, but he shouldn't overshadow Killua's and Gon's growth.
    From what I've said earlier that Leorio being able to hit Ging as necessarily a sign of weakness - since it is more than likely he allowed that hit - you could also say its not necessarily representative that Leorio has become THAT strong. Though it does reveal he now has a nen ability we can't gauge it until its application in actual combat - or perhaps gaining attention of strong characters (incidentally as I lean towards Ging probably allowing the hit he didn't see Leorio's attack as being a threat to bother dodging hence not that strong).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raad View Post
    I think it just speaks about how no matter how good you can appear to people or think of yourself, as a human you can never be flawless.
    lol
    So threatening to kill a child is what you call "not being flawless"? Are you serious? Gon was never flawless, he could get angry or scared and not always has won a fight (unlike most shounen characters in other series), he also was often slow at grasping things. But threatening to kill someone is just on a whole different level and shows that he can be merciless. His uniqueness disappeared at that moment and he became another avenger, a type of character common in manga. Togashi has changed his character significantly and Gon before bug arc and after is entirely different. Some may call it character development but to me it's regression.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Wisshard's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm aware that Leorio's feat isn't the most solid indicator of his new found combat ability (e.g. Ging, like you said, might have let the attack hit him); I'm just saying, preemptively, that I hope he hasn't improved as much as the feat, or Kurapica's growth prior to "his" arc, may suggest.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goral View Post
    lol
    So threatening to kill a child is what you call "not being flawless"? Are you serious? Gon was never flawless, he could get angry or scared and not always has won a fight (unlike most shounen characters in other series), he also was often slow at grasping things. But threatening to kill someone is just on a whole different level and shows that he can be merciless. His uniqueness disappeared at that moment and he became another avenger, a type of character common in manga. Togashi has changed his character significantly and Gon before bug arc and after is entirely different. Some may call it character development but to me it's regression.
    I agree that Gon has changed significantly from before - and I find this is why the ant arc is the most difficult to dismiss since it also shows the most important turning point in development of Gon and Killua. However, I see this as a process of change that has been occurring as the series progressed as Gon and Killua learn about the world and themselves with each arc. What is interesting is how differently the two question and react the things they see take the Yorkshin arc with Gon just questioning the senseless killing (slowly disillusioned or saddened at the very least when he learns of Pakunoda's death and the continuous battle that Kurapika will be undertaking that can no longer be backed down - in other words the ideal scenario he would hope cannot happen any longer especially with the death of Pakunoda) and Killua gaining a more human side as we see his strong urges to protect Gon - while attempting to go against his instinct. I mean it is just as much a shock that Killua would want to 'help' Alluka - that certainly shows change given how he's treated his siblings.

I don't need to elaborate on the ant arc as you surmised quite well Gon has become much darker but you didn't take note of Killua's own change - just think of the his break down when he was trying to convince Palm not to meet Gon. I think what is happening here is that the development occurring is with Gon slowly going from originally being white into slowly becoming black. While Killua who was raised to be black is turning white. I find this the most fascinating aspect of their development - and I do see this as development rather than regression since there is plausibility given how the situations they've been in have shaped them to change. I think what will be interesting here is how Gon will be once he regains consciousness and how much he has changed, can we really expect Gon to return to being what he was before after what transpired in the ant arc.
    Last edited by Hamy; November 18, 2011 at 08:19 AM.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously, that last page gave me a good laugh. Those upcoming possibilities would be way hilarious.Especially when you consider the fact that Pariston tried to use this opportunity to gain the majority of votes.Well,that backfired.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Eloah's Avatar
    Country
    Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toto View Post
    I've been meaning to make this thread for awhile now, but it's something kind of interesting that I've wanted to discuss.

A large part of the reason as to why I like Hunter x Hunter is due to the characterization and thematic structure of the series. One of the most overarching and visible themes that spans across the series is this duality between "good" and "evil." Morality is blurred unlike any other series. While characters do "bad" things, there are also instances in which they do good as well. Killua kills for a living (and sometimes out of spite or rage, as we saw during the Hunter exam) but inherently, he's a good kid and has constantly worked to improve himself since meeting Gon. Kurapika wants to regain his clans' eyes, stolen from them after a mass genocide. However, his quest for revenge has turned him into a murderer himself. He does this without remorse and almost is willing to sacrifice his friends in order to achieve said goals (as evidenced by the hostage situation Yorknew City--instead of trying to rescue Gon and Killua as a result of his own folly, Kurapika chooses to capture Chrollo instead). Most of the villains are strictly amoral when it comes to killing others, but at the same time they care for their comrades in a way that is reminiscent of the protagonists.

In this series, the characters do bad things out of self-interest--but does that make them "bad"?

The protagonist of it all, Gon Freecss, is posited as the series' moral compass: he is the paragon of everything virtuous in the world. You're supposed to feel for him--he's a cute kid, charming, he wants to meet his father, and he loves his friends. Everyone who meets him takes note of how special he is, despite the fact that he tends not to win very much. He is an underdog that you cannot help but root for; there's a quality in Gon that makes a reader want to see him succeed.

However, I find that his flaws as a character are more interesting than anything else. Since the beginning, we've known Gon to be a gutsy character. But he's gutsy to the point of reckless abandon. In many other Shonen series where bravery is played up as a positive quality, Togashi very subtly crafts this as dangerous to himself. Gon does some wild shit. It gets him into trouble.

To list:
    • He stalked a mass murderer (Hisoka) during the Hunter Exam with the intent to take his badge--but he didn't think it through at all. Gon focused his entire being onto offense without even considering someone may have been following him. He was lucky that Geretta chose not to kill him. Hisoka took pity on him, got back both his own badge, and gave Gon both.
    • Also during the Hunter exam, Hanzo could've killed him as well. Gon suffered under his torture for two hours without flinching and only "won" through an emotional appeal.
    • He tried to break into the Zoldyck Estate (mind you, a volcano filled with assassins) several times (initially, planning on going right over the gate and bypassing Mike--which we know would've killed him) and couldn't make it past the butlers' quarters. The leader of the butlers, Gotoh, was ready to kill Gon and his friends if they didn't win his game.
    • Gon trails the Phantom Troupe and almost dies many times. Feitan almost kills him, Nobunaga almost kills him, and the Troupe at large have no problem killing both him and Killua after Chrollo is taken from them. A coin toss decided his fate in half of these instances.
    • Gon goes up against another serial killer (Genthru) and not only blows off his left arm, but almost irreparably destroys his right. He is healed through magic.

He only escapes these situations through luck (and the help of his friends). But the events in the chimera ant arc are indicative of a very great change in our protagonist. Kite put Gon and Killua in an incredibly dangerous situation by taking them to a chimera ant nest, thereafter stretching his En to meet Neferpitou's. Kite got himself killed, but the aftereffects were more trying on everyone. Readers knew for about 100 chapters that Kite was dead before any of the protagonists were made aware of it. The emotional shock is too great on him, and Gon ends up sacrificing both his Nen ability and his right arm in his quest for revenge. The steps Gon is willing to take to get this revenge, however, are staggering. Gon, in a way, became villainous during this arc. During the events in Yorknew City, Togashi shows that Gon can't understand why people kill at all. He is very much against it. But his opinion quickly changes. He kills for the first time, and thereafter has no problem against doing so. He was ready to kill the defenseless Pitou fixing Komugi, but Gon was also ready to kill Komugi during that affair.

Some have taken notice of another flaw in Gon's "moral compass." Notably, Zepile's appraisal of Gon was one of the first to show something both troubling and true of the character. When Meleoron meets Gon, the former makes a comment mentioning that looking at Gon was like staring into a bottomless abyss. Not just because of his power, but his remorseless aura. What readers should take note of is the fact that Gon is still a child. He's developing as a person and in his maturity. He hasn't even hit puberty yet (uh, well...).

The one who has noticed this change the most, however, is his best friend. Killua is initially attracted to Gon because of his unflinching sense of good. He's never had friends his age before. Gon is representative of an ideal life that he was deprived of due to his family's trade. Although their friendship seems touching, at the same time there's something disconcerting about it. Killua sees Gon as "the light," holding him to an impossible ideal. As soon as that image was distorted, Killua realized his mistake. Biscuit and Illumi ended up being right--he sees Gon as a plaything. So the two of them parting from each other after this makes sense.

I can't think of any other protagonist who charges in so recklessly despite not having the power to do anything. He's a child in an adult profession--it was certain that he was going to get burned. But nobody is perfect. Just because his innocence has been changed by the world, it doesn't mean that he's doomed. Nor does it mean that Killua and Gon can't be friends anymore. Everyone is fucked by the world at some point. Where he goes from here is, hopefully, to a more mature mindset.
    Here's one post of mr.toto in-depth about Gon, hope this helps letting you guys have an insight about Gon. But you can always take another different approach to get to know Gon in your own way
    I'm not ok. You're not ok. But as long as we're ok then It's ok

19. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast