Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Exploring the Ocean

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    China
    Post Thanks / Like

Exploring the Ocean

The Hunter x Hunter world is huge, and it also has a huge ocean. It looks like the map is similar to earth, so that would mean about 70% is the ocean! I was thinking of what type of hunters would look for sunken treasure, or lost underwater civilizations, or new types of beasts that are only under the water.

These types of hunters, what type of abilities do you think they would develop. Outside of a manipulation user, who manipulates fish or ocean life, I can't think of any useful abilities.

What's everyone else think?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Exploring the Ocean

Transform aura to flippers (better mobility).

Underwater breathing (sure they got oxygen tanks, but good to have backup). No idea what school that goes under. Would you transform aura to oxygen? Materialize oxygen? Reinforce existing oxygen into more oxygen like the water test?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    Transform aura to flippers (better mobility).

Underwater breathing (sure they got oxygen tanks, but good to have backup). No idea what school that goes under. Would you transform aura to oxygen? Materialize oxygen? Reinforce existing oxygen into more oxygen like the water test?

Well if it's someone like Morel he probably just takes a big gulp of air then holds his breath.

I don't think oxygen would be all that difficult to materialize.
    Compare it to Kurapica's chain which would be made of a more
    complicated and complex substance than just oxygen would.
    The amount of oxygen you can materialize would be based off
    of how much nen you have.

I'm sure there are variety of ways it can be done.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think hunters would have abilities specific for such tasks. I guess they could have abilities which are useful for some stuff however I would think that in the end the abilities in themselves that most hunters there will have will be practical in more situations. I don't think an ability could be used to explore the deep ocean for example. The pressure is simply too great, I don't think a normal hatsu would help you at all down there.

As for what category those hunters would fall too... the same ones we have seen before. A sea gourmet hunter, a sea ruin hunter and so on....

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I don't think hunters would have abilities specific for such tasks. I guess they could have abilities which are useful for some stuff however I would think that in the end the abilities in themselves that most hunters there will have will be practical in more situations. I don't think an ability could be used to explore the deep ocean for example. The pressure is simply too great, I don't think a normal hatsu would help you at all down there.

As for what category those hunters would fall too... the same ones we have seen before. A sea gourmet hunter, a sea ruin hunter and so on....

I think having the ability to breathe underwater using nen would be VERY useful.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, yeah it would be useful but it would also be limited. A human cannot go that deep underwater without protection to begin so what would be the point of such an ability if you would for a number of reasons have to use equipment in the end? Or would you use all the equipment except the breathing one? Useful? sure, it is useful. Practical as a hatsu? God no.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    Well if it's someone like Morel he probably just takes a big gulp of air then holds his breath.

I don't think oxygen would be all that difficult to materialize.
    Compare it to Kurapica's chain which would be made of a more
    complicated and complex substance than just oxygen would.
    The amount of oxygen you can materialize would be based off
    of how much nen you have.

I'm sure there are variety of ways it can be done.
    I think Morel's lung capacity is something innate to himself, kind of like how one of the food Hunter can eat 70 boars the size of himself, which I'm sure no other human character in HXH can pull off regardless of their training/ability.

If you can reinforce a cup of water to get more water, maybe you can reinforce existing oxygen and get more oxygen?

Country
    China
    Post Thanks / Like

We've seen a few hatsus that are not practical for battle at all, and we know that some hunters focus their abilities towards achieving their goals. Also, we know that some hunters, even before learning nen are superhuman (Gon held his breath for 9+ minutes, Leorio moving the second door of the Zoldycks residence). It just seems like there should be a way. I was thinking maybe materialize a special suit, or even a small submarine

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, materializing a suit would be far more useful (and perhaps even have actual battle applications in and out of water) and it would permit an oxygen supply and protection from pressure. Still, for the suit to be practical for the activities proposed it would have to surpass the most advanced technology available for the same purpose. I guess conditions can be added but what conditions and pledges would be useful to enhance the time you can remain underwater and the depths you can reach?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well you really can't materialize anything that's better than existing technology to begin with (i.e. nobody can materialize something with the destructive power of the Rose) if it's supposed to have any potential offensive/defensive use, so it'd be unlikely to be able to materialize a suit that's better than just having whatever the state of the art diving suit is. Though like Kurapika's master said, although you can't materialize a sword better than the existing material, it's useful to have a sword that you can always use no matter what.

As an aside I assume Shizuku's vacuum cleaner has no realistic offensive use. Yes she used it to suck the blood out of an Ant, but there are many abilities in HXH that can kill someone if you're able to wound them that many times easily, so it's pretty much overkill.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Raad's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

For the pressure reinforcement might come handy, either to enhance the body's resistance or the submarine's.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I kinda have my doubts of a human reinforced body being capable of withstanding thousands of tons of water pressure. Using it on a submarine might work though although since it would be generic reinforcement it would also not be an ability in itself and perhaps anyone would be able to do it.

Country
    China
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not so sure Feitang's materialized outfit (that protected him against the sun) could be reproduced by their technology. Also, I was thinking maybe a manipulation user could somehow manipulate pressure to increase it around another area while reducing it around themselves.

Maybe this would work better if it were more of a multi-person ability (like Greed Island).

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter2323 View Post
    I am not so sure Feitang's materialized outfit (that protected him against the sun) could be reproduced by their technology. Also, I was thinking maybe a manipulation user could somehow manipulate pressure to increase it around another area while reducing it around themselves.

Maybe this would work better if it were more of a multi-person ability (like Greed Island).
    That's an awfully low temperature sun if an Ant just slowly withered away in its heat while at point blank range.

He may call it the sun but it's definitely not something capable of say, nuclear fusion. It can't even have the same temperature output as Rose (melted most of Meryem's body, whose durability is incomparable to any other character). His suit is likely just a very heat-resistant suit, but it wouldn't have to be made out of material better than say whatever is used for heat shields in atmosphere reentry in real life to keep guys inside alive.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Materialize a submarine, then go like a boss.

And it's practical in fight. Just imagine throwing a submarine at your enemies :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    Well you really can't materialize anything that's better than existing technology to begin with (i.e. nobody can materialize something with the destructive power of the Rose)
    That's not true. You can materialize everything if you are able to imagine it. That's the ONLY limit.
    ...If not most of Materialized items are simply impossible, even for HxH standards.

Just try to explain how are Materialized item to war thing into a different dimension. :/ (And there is the Owl guy, vacuum from Shizuku and Novu ability that uses exactly this)
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast