Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Psychologically intelligent anime/manga/characters.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Psychologically intelligent anime/manga/characters.

I know there is a thread on 'Geniuses' but thats not what i was looking for. I like characters with psychological intelligence and has great knowledge on the human psyche. Akiyama, Yokoya, Toua, L, Light, Lelouch, Johan all know how humans operate and can you that to their advantage.

So what are some anime/manga/characters of this nature?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Psychologically intelligent anime/manga/characters.

Askaladd of Vinland Saga. The villain of Berserk(how come i've forgotten his name ). The friend(though not as good as Johan). Izaya of Durarara(its a light novel turned anime turned manga though...and i've only watched the anime).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

(I got a bit tired, and didn't describe what's found in some of them, if interested, you can ask me and I'll answer/tell/explain what they have in them)

Violence: specifically psychology/behavior+theory of war and fighting (extremely intelligent/sophisticated/high level knowledge): Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, an anime series of ~50 (if my memory is working, lol)episodes

high level romantic uber witty-teasing romantic relationship: Spice and Wolf (1 and 2), an anime series

philosophical mind-soul (soul = your "Ghost")-psychology: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (1 and 2 as GitS:SAC 2nd Gig), an animes series

lots of very good psychological characters and themes: Claymore, the manga especially, but also the anime series too. Priscilla is the most psycho character you'll ever encounter, Roxanne is really creepily wicked, Ophelia is quite messed up too, and Rubel SCARES me, the sociopath of sociopaths, when Rubel says to hop and ribbit like a frog, god hops and ribbits like a frog! ... (Claymore is my FAV !!!! hehe)

Memories: Big O, an anime series

some interesting perspectives on life and quite some psycho characters: Black Lagoon (1 and 2) and Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail ("3"), 2 anime series and 1 OVA-anime "series" (4-5 episodes long only, lol)

some good psychology: Blood+, an anime series

Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, two different-versioned anime series (Brotherhood follows the manga)

Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom, an anime series

Soul Eater, an anime series

Solty Rei, an anime series. Girls, if you want to understand a man truly (his often hidden emotions, psychology, feelings, and thoughts): Roy Revant.

---------------------------------------------------------

and for non-manga/anime:

The Dark Knight movie: The Joker, hehe

Last edited by HegemonKhan; November 24, 2011 at 01:40 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashher View Post
    Askaladd of Vinland Saga. The villain of Berserk(how come i've forgotten his name ). The friend(though not as good as Johan). Izaya of Durarara(its a light novel turned anime turned manga though...and i've only watched the anime).
    ....Griffith...

I'd say Lelouch is pretty good too, his tactics definitely incorporated human behaviour...same with Schneizel...hmm...who else? Aizen

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch Ya View Post
    I know there is a thread on 'Geniuses' but thats not what i was looking for. I like characters with psychological intelligence and has great knowledge on the human psyche. Akiyama, Yokoya, Toua, L, Light, Lelouch, Johan all know how humans operate and can you that to their advantage.

So what are some anime/manga/characters of this nature?
    Do you mean sociopaths and psychopaths? You should try Durarara!! then, because Izaya should be right up your street.

Or FLCL (Haruko Haruhara) or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya) if you don't mind an anime that's not too serious. Haruhi is probably the most realistic anime and manga 'path I've seen outside Claymore.

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
    lots of very good psychological characters and themes: Claymore, the manga especially, but also the anime series too. Priscilla is the most psycho character you'll ever encounter, Roxanne is really creepily wicked, Ophelia is quite messed up too, and Rubel SCARES me, the sociopath of sociopaths, when Rubel says to hop and ribbit like a frog, god hops and ribbits like a frog! ... (Claymore is my FAV !!!! hehe)
    Claymore is also unusual because it follows a young psychopathic lead character, who's neither a villain protagionist nor an anti-hero, but portrayed sympathetically and convincingly, despite the fantasy setting of Claymore. Ikuno Shirataki is a very similar character in the same mangaka's earlier work, Angel Densetsu.

New Reply