Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Internet Blacklist Legislation

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Internet Blacklist Legislation

yeah, going to jail is a real issue here as everyday internet activities could be seen as copyright infringement. I do kinda have my doubts about this being a major factor and the idea of a significant amount of people going to jail over this would be strange to me. You simply can't arrest or fine every dope who downloads music or does something of the sort, its absurd. Jails are grossly overpopulated and large fines would end up in the blood out of a stone situation I described earlier. Ultimately its less than ideal to have prisons with more computer nerds than rapists, robbers and other sort of actual criminals as such a thing would be moronic to the most extreme degree and to boot it would be expensive as hell. Any country with even the smallest pretense of coherence cannot by any means justify paying that much to act stupid.... Not sure if sopa would actually encourage such an scenario though, haven't read anything about it....

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    yeah, going to jail is a real issue here as everyday internet activities could be seen as copyright infringement. I do kinda have my doubts about this being a major factor and the idea of a significant amount of people going to jail over this would be strange to me. You simply can't arrest or fine every dope who downloads music or does something of the sort, its absurd. Jails are grossly overpopulated and large fines would end up in the blood out of a stone situation I described earlier. Ultimately its less than ideal to have prisons with more computer nerds than rapists, robbers and other sort of actual criminals as such a thing would be moronic to the most extreme degree and to boot it would be expensive as hell. Any country with even the smallest pretense of coherence cannot by any means justify paying that much to act stupid.... Not sure if sopa would actually encourage such an scenario though, haven't read anything about it....
    Well...both the earlier and later versions of sopa were too vague...the initiative of getting some protection against pirates is valid at this point, however the way they formulated the entire bill was faulty...it was way to general, and thanks to that, it COULD HAVE created absurd situations, where sites can be blocked just because they had links to copyrighted material...
    ACTA is the same...I read one short characterization of it....the guy said it's like making the post office responsible for what is in the mail....which is absurd...

Basic idea is that pirates "would've" suffered, but not just them...the normal user could've gotten into absurd situations....personally I don't think that they would've gone for the everyday little user, but for the big guys first...but it still gives the chance for a petty little artist to sue someone just like that, because he user was sharing his music...which a law shouldn't allow

I heard a fun news...it is rumored that Kim dotcom, the guy from megaupload was trying to go legit, by creating a legal music downloading service that would've given 90% of the profits back to the artists...and it's also rumored that the authorities moved in on him, because they were pushed by some who were afraid that it would ruin their business
    Last edited by benelori; January 27, 2012 at 02:34 PM.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem with the internet is that it has changed culture itself as to what people view as right or wrong regarding copyrights... Its not the people or the internet that should change but rather the industries should adapt to how the internet works and how users think. Lets face it, even if you know something is a copyright infringement it is still just hard to imagine it being an actual robbery. Who ever thought "Holy shit, I just robbed someone 3 bucks when I downloaded that song! My conscience is tearing me apart as if I just ate a baby panda and kicked a baby koala! Gotta turn myself in, I am a fucking monster!"? No one... I would even question whether there could even be a reasonable expectation for something to not be distributed "illegally" once it is in the internet....

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

So what do you think about that:
    Spoiler show

I'm all for internet freedom,but this is going the wrong way...

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that the internet mobilization is extremely childish and ridiculous where they use these types of methods instead of organizing themselves politically and/or use reason to put political pressure instead of this.

I'm shocked about the legislation proposals and the police-state the US is turning in to, but I'd rather become active politically and lobby against them (which would be very effective if the internet community got together and did THAT which is actually fucking PRODUCTIVE) rather than use guerilla methods like attacking / hacking sites and/or refuse to buy those kind of manufactured products / newspapers for a month.

In short; grow the fuck up and if you dislike politicians - become one yourself (or engage yourself, lobby) and change it. Not that bloody hard.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

How would the internet community gather and lobby against them though? Isn't lobbying expensive to say the least? Lobbying requires lawyers too, how many internet geeks are such a thing (maybe I am mistaken but I always imagined the internet community being made up of nerdy IT guys and dudes living in their parents basement and those who are neither are basically a bunch of dudes who casually enjoy the wonders of internet and don't particularly care much for anything)? More so, its not like even the big guys (google, amazon, wikipedia and so on) are doing actual lobbying...

I am not altogether against the "guerilla" methods. Even though mostly illegal I do think some mild civil disobedience helps make a point. The idea of not getting any copyrighted media is terrible. It is plain unfeasible IMO. Even if it was feasible I would think flyers over the internet are hardly the best way to organize something of the sort.

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

The same way that the "pirate parties" got started and had a huge upswing at the latest EP elections. And by lobbying I mean mostly mail-bombing, blogging, using the communities and social events / medias to spread the message etc. to get the general public aware of the consequences these legislations will have.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, they are already doing that and if anything that flyer is an attempt at that too. There has been some moderate success too considering the bills have lost support and have been delayed to a great degree.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2