Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Fairy Tail: The Movie

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fairy Tail: The Movie

Can anybody find the info on how much this movie made?? both overall total and weekly average. If possible, I'd also like the info on how much Road to Ninja made as well (overall total & weekly average). I'm interested how this movie made against RtN.

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member El Maco's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

After Googling a bit, I found some claims on a Japanese message board.
    Translated:

FT the movie made 210,000,000 Yen in box-office revenue after 23 days (100 Yen is roughly 1 Euro).
    Full Metal Alchemist made 140M Yen on its opening in 90 theaters, ending at 650M Yen.

Gundam00 first made 190M in 88 theaters, closing at 860M.
    GinTama, 銀魂, first made 200M in 90 theaters, closing at 1070 Million Yen.

I will try to get some verification from more official sources.
    I would say it's a popular movie...

Edit: According to cinemahochi.yomiuri.co.jp, FT the movie opened in 73 theaters, where 52795 people saw it in the first weekend and the box-office revenues for that weekend were 60,283,700 円. The movie ranked 9th. The next week, it was no longer in the top 10.

Edit2: According to that same link, your other request (Naruto movie) did quite well.
    It started in the weekend of 27-28 July on 3rd place, went to 7th place, 8, 10 and then it's gone.
    It opened on 262 screens throughout the country, was seen by 254,025 people and made 302,080,500 円 in the opening weekend. Quite a difference with FT.
    Last edited by El Maco; September 24, 2012 at 07:53 AM.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm... 200 million vs 300, huh?? not too shabby. Congratulations, Mashima!!!

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member El Maco's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, it's 60 million vs 300 million in the opening weekend. Naruto is doing 5 times better because of higher exposure and popularity.
    The 200 million is an unconfirmed number of the income after 23 days.

I'd love to know how much Mashima is getting from all this and the merchandise.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Too bad. It looks like Mashima has a bit a ways to go until he can stand toe-to-toe with the likes of Kishi. It's also a bit unfair that for the first time, one of his series finally hits the theaters, only to have a legendary mangaka by all rights step on his toe and tripping him up.

It's not fair

I wish they had more spotlight on him, considering his potential to become one of the biggest mangaka of this generation.

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crimsonlink310's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newkerzy View Post

Too bad. It looks like Mashima has a bit a ways to go until he can stand toe-to-toe with the likes of Kishi. It's also a bit unfair that for the first time, one of his series finally hits the theaters, only to have a legendary mangaka by all rights step on his toe and tripping him up.

It's not fair

I wish they had more spotlight on him, considering his potential to become one of the biggest mangaka of this generation.
    What am I reading here?

Kishi is not legendary. After Naruto finishes will Kishi become a legendary manga artist because of the huge success Naruto had in Weekly Shonen Jump. Its wrong to label a person a legend in an industry if their current work that made them legendary hasn't even finished.

Naruto did great at the movies and so did Fariy Tail. Naruto had an advantage with 262 screen openings vs Fairy Tail's measly 73 theaters if the information is correct.

By the time Naruto was going out of theaters after July did FT even come in during August. So Kishi's work did not step all over Mashima's.

Oda, Kishi, Kubo, and Mashima have already become popular manga artists and are the biggest managaka of this generation. They just need to finish their current run and people will talk about them being legendary like they do Toriyama and Togashi.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, you missed my point. As you said, the promotions played a huge part along with the huge media exposure. This is what I meant by Kishi stepping all over Mashima. If Naruto had come out at a different date (or rather, a different season) I'd bet you Mashima would've had more exposure than he did and he would've earned more. It would've been his biggest chance to show his potential. Not only that, it would be also a chance to gain newer fans.

Sadly, RtN stole away all the attention.

Also, regarding the matter of one being "legendary" well, look at Messi. The guy's not out of the game, yet he's already considered a legend by many. Especially after hattricking the World MVP. It's all a matter of how one recognizes their feats and skills.

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newkerzy View Post
    Actually, you missed my point. As you said, the promotions played a huge part along with the huge media exposure. This is what I meant by Kishi stepping all over Mashima. If Naruto had come out at a different date (or rather, a different season) I'd bet you Mashima would've had more exposure than he did and he would've earned more. It would've been his biggest chance to show his potential. Not only that, it would be also a chance to gain newer fans.

Sadly, RtN stole away all the attention.

Also, regarding the matter of one being "legendary" well, look at Messi. The guy's not out of the game, yet he's already considered a legend by many. Especially after hattricking the World MVP. It's all a matter of how one recognizes their feats and skills.
    No the point is that Naruto released in more theaters than Fairy Tail and still FT managed to sell 210 million over 23 days. Naruto probably sold around 400 million max by now give or take.

The movies released at the end of July and August respectively. So they did not clash much if at all. People could have saved up 2000 yen or however much it costs to go the theater within a months time to watch both movies.

Using a great football player as a legend is not a good example when it comes to manga. We remember mangaka like Toriyama because of his work. People will remember Oda for One Piece and etc. If you ask people who the author of Ruronin Kenshin is, they would be hardpressed to give you an answer without googling it.

You don't become a legend until you have left your mark on the industry you work in and people know of your name over the world. Kishi is almost there and as soon as Naruto ends he will become a legend that future mangaka can aspire to become like in their works.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SerpentTailedAngel's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well... Oda isn't exactly done and he's kind of legendary. You even used him as an example.
    If it's just about leaving your mark than Naruto's either done that or needs to do that still. It doesn't need to wrap up.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SerpentTailedAngel View Post
    Well... Oda isn't exactly done and he's kind of legendary. You even used him as an example.
    If it's just about leaving your mark than Naruto's either done that or needs to do that still. It doesn't need to wrap up.
    I used him as an example along with other popular authors. People leave behind legends based on the work they have done. Legends are also passed down in families and companies.

The most popular authors have left impacts on the industry but calling them legends now is way too early. Toriyama does not write/draw manga on a consistent basis nor as a job anymore for the most part. He left his mark on the industry with DB and DBZ. We call him a legendary mangaka for that reason.

If I suddenly came into the manga scene and sold 5 million volumes consistently, I would leave a mark on the industry. But until I'm finished with my work and retire or make another work, I am not a legend.

Newkerzy made it seem like Kishimoto was on another level when compared to Mashima which isn't true at all. Considering Mashima started Fairy Tail in 2006 vs Kishi's 1999 Naruto. That makes Fairy Tail much more successful in the long run even though Naruto had a longer time to penetrate the market. Unless of course FT ends before Naruto lol.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member cleodux's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

You know what, i don't Naruto at all, I mean after the time skip i just don't get it. And it is still popular lol. I guess it is very pleasing to read for 13 or so year old with all the ninja thing. I am too old for that maybe? lol

Personally i never compare manga to manga directly cause every author have different style. Like for example, Mashima style is to have short fighting scene (like maybe the longest fighting scenes he ever draw could only 3 chapter or so) he inserts joke and panty shots in every chapter (FT) sometime he even skip a fight lol and sometime he trolsl you with jiggly butt gang and Ichiya/Nichiya. He makes pairing official and give hint from time to time.

Kishi, i don't know cause i don't follow Naruto. But i guess he loves his Uchiha clan and he modernize all the ninja style along with his new invention like Sharingan and all. I guess that one makes the world in uproar lol. But his fight scene is very long i think (can not beat Bleach but is longer than how Mashima does)

So it depends which can penetrate how many different market viewer/reader ship. But all manga deserve love.

Now back to FT movie discussion.
    Last edited by cleodux; November 20, 2012 at 07:54 AM.

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

The FT and Naruto Movie aired in singapore around a week ago during the anime fest.
    I didn't catch it because I was too much of a cheapskate and did not feel like it.

Did you happen to catch it, cleo?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope that Funimation won't take too long dubbing it after it's finally released in Blu-Ray and DVD formats. This is the kind of thing I'd buy just to see how beautiful it is in HD!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner John 92's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

...do you guys know the fairy tail manga volumes sell better than naruto these last few years?naruto's reign is over for a long time now,one piece and fairy tail beat it by a lot these days

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member mak123's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John 92 View Post
    ...do you guys know the fairy tail manga volumes sell better than naruto these last few years?naruto's reign is over for a long time now,one piece and fairy tail beat it by a lot these days
    What??

New Reply
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast