Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 752 by cnet128 , Bleach 587 (2) , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beer Thread!

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The beer thread!

The reason for the taxes and whatnot are actually stupid. The current government is basically spending far more money than what it should (for fucks sake they are quite literally giving it away under the name of solidary bonus or whatnot) and as a result it is desperate for more. I don't particularly believe making alcohol more expensive actually helps to combat alcoholism though. At least my own experience suggest that such an strategy is ineffective to say the least. I am obviously not an alcoholic but I do consume reasonable amounts of it socially. What have I done when alcohol increases in price? Either I pay more or I buy the cheaper one(which is usually the case, say I traded vodka for rum recently). How much is the cheapest bottle around? As far as I remember the cheapest bottle of vodka or whiskey around was around 3 US dollars. Now with the taxes it comes at around 5 or 6. My country might be poor but it does not get to the point where that increase would stop alcoholics from spending on it. More so, there are plenty of alternatives which are even cheaper although there are those little risks of them not being actually sanitary, basically an informal sector which makes liquor. In the end, raising the price of alcohol does not stop people from drinking, it only makes the vast majority of the population spend the same amount of money on cheaper/worst alcohol and it makes the people who were already buying dirt cheap stuff spend more or even worst force them to the informal segment. People who are either snobby/connoisseurs probably will just spend the extra money as they didn't get to either of those situations from being poor.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

As for a common drink.... I guess it would be beer for the most part. I don't think we have anything else in that regard. Of course, the national brewery (which is owned by sab miller I think lol) only produces pilsen or lager styles of beer. I lack so much as an ounce of patriotism and am out of touch with what should be my culture (I don't completely understand the even my own city's sland -about half of it-, I do not regularly eat typical foods and my actual background has nothing to do with the background of 99% of the people) so I would not be particularly knowledgeable about such things.

---------- Post added January 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was January 20, 2012 at 04:22 PM ----------

Just got a tip that there are a couple of stores which might have what I am looking for -dark beers in general-. Haven't had a chance to check it out but I got good hopes. I don't particularly expect much variety but at least enough to know I don't live in a beer wasteland lol.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

What kind of haul are you in for to find this store? Hope it isn't too much

Though for good beer, I wonder what "too much" is

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, from what I understand they should have spaten, stout franciscarner (or however that is spelled) and stout and weissbier endirger. Its not much but it is the most optimistic I can reasonably get.

---------- Post added February 17, 2012 at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was January 24, 2012 at 10:14 PM ----------

Tried a very interesting red lagger the other day. Weird random encounter of a craft beer in a god forsaken town in a god forsaken country of the month. Interestingly, they also had a bunch of other import beers which makes no sense whatsoever considering the country's overall tariff situation. Very real chance that they are actually smuggling beer from the neighbor country lol.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey it's beer, it's probably worth it

Do you remember some of the stuff they had?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teubier's Avatar
    Country
    Reunion
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn, tasted this from the local grocer tonight, and I must say it was not too shabby for a beer below 2€ at ~12°. At least far more beerable than the monster trick Maximator. The aftertaste was still a bit aggressive though.
    ~Oscar!http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic168684_18.gif!rascO~

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teubier View Post
    Damn, tasted this from the local grocer tonight, and I must say it was not too shabby for a beer below 2€ at ~12°. At least far more beerable than the monster trick Maximator. The aftertaste was still a bit aggressive though.
    Probably because it's a 12%

---------- Post added at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 AM ----------

I wasted some money just to confirm what I already knew. Kwak is such an over-hyped, offensive-tasting beer, I have no idea why it has such popularity. Maybe it's because of the novelty in drinking it from the special glass? I've tasted stronger beers that have had much less of an overbearing alcoholic taste to it. Not to mention the spices used to try and mask the alcohol fail in almost every way. It's like drinking rubbing alcohol after emptying your spice cabinet into it.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Reunion
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Probably because it's a 12%
    Ahahah. Yes ~ no. Kinda feels like there is a :cookieface missing in your post.

I meant aggressive to my sense of taste, in regard to the Maximator example. So it meant that I found it to be a pretty nice beer at the beginning, not really good but nice, but its taste deteriorated and became a little bit Maximator-ish through what was left lingering in my mouth. I wrote that post not long after drinking it, so the aftertaste was still vivid.
    I didn't drink a wide range of beer yet, but the amber Bush/Scaldis from belgium is a 12% too, and it does not leave that kind of awful aftertaste.

On another note, I found the Cambodian Kingdom beer (both the pilsener & dark lager) pretty nice the other day :

Last edited by Teubier; February 25, 2012 at 06:22 AM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure the Kwack glass is responsible for its success. Although it is probably the most unpractical glass ever to dring a beer.
    Speaking of glass, I had a really disappointing experience a few days ago. I went to a supposed beer specialized bar and I was served a Fransiskaner in a Duvel glass. That was such a disappointment ! I would have asked for a super rare German beer, I wouldn't have cared but it was a damn Fransiskaner ! France is really not the country for German beers sadly.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

That's probably because Scaldis is Belgian 2beers

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Kwack glass is responsible for its success. Although it is probably the most unpractical glass ever to dring a beer.
    Speaking of glass, I had a really disappointing experience a few days ago. I went to a supposed beer specialized bar and I was served a Fransiskaner in a Duvel glass. That was such a disappointment ! I would have asked for a super rare German beer, I wouldn't have cared but it was a damn Fransiskaner ! France is really not the country for German beers sadly.
    Does the glass really matter? I'm not sure if I've bought into that sort of thing. Apart from having the right glass for the right style (not always), I never go any further. These breweries that have a beer-specific glass...it makes me laugh.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

After living one year in germany, drinking a fransiskaner is something special to me. So yes drinking it in a large round stemmed glass was disappointing especially when i'm in a bar which is supposed to be specialized. With the price they sell beers in France, they can buy glasses.

15. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Reunion
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh oh oh, but, oh oh oh! This Vivat Triple is very good! I hope that I made the right choice by tasting this one before the 3 Monts. Edit : no regrets, she's (the 3 Monts) even better!

Anyway, it calls for a to all you beer lovers and everybody else!
    Last edited by Teubier; March 08, 2012 at 12:00 PM.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Usually I try to steer clear of Trappist-style imitations because not a single one can compare to the authentic thing, but Tripel Karmeliet is an exception. The best Tripel I've ever had.

Bière de Garde = Strong Pale Ale...I've often wondered about the comparison between a Tripel and a Strong Pale Ale, and I've still yet to pinpoint it .

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard of wine-beer hybrid beers. Are they any good?
    Translators' Academy l Translators' Classroom
    Play Japanese shiritori word game!
    [NEW] Shiritori Word Chain Thread @TA Classroom
    Check out out new Summer Threads @TA Classroom!

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

That rather sounds like a waste...

21. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Lothario 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of wine-beer, except for dumbass english guys experimenting in their own homes. I'll google it

New Reply
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast