Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beer Thread!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teubier's Avatar
    Country
    Reunion
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your favorite beer?

Quote Originally Posted by mikkih View Post
    Legal age for drinking is 20 in Japan. Also there are beer vending machines available on the streets.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    ^There are?I remember seeing those in a TV show but I did not think it would go to that extent lol. Damn western culture lol (for that matter, why don't regular vending machines accept credit or debit cards lol)?
    Damnit, I miss those vending machines so much... Scattered almost everywhere, even in remote tiny cities. I remember encountering a few in Unoke (Ishikawa prefecture), coming back from a long afternoon at the sea, throat awfully dry. I was completely ecstatic .

Well, it doesn't help to stay sober but it's so enjoyable, although the beers sold in these vending machines aren't the best Japan has to offer, and in terms of quality konbini are a little better with much more choice (you'd have a hard time finding a vending machine with yebisu but almost every konbini sell them). Damn I miss convenience stores even more .
    ~Oscar!http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic168684_18.gif!rascO~

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always wondered, how do they regulate the drinking age in Japan if there are vending machines that sell beer? Or do they at all? Do you have to swipe or scan your ID in some way in order to get a beer out of them?

Anyways, weekend is approaching and I have an exam tomorrow for which I am grossly under-prepared another one on monday so how about some beer recommendations which can be found in a regular supermarket or liquor store? Might be going to taco mac (respectable beer selection of over 100 from what I recall) too so something from them would be nice (not in the mood of finding my taste for ales wherever it might be, just saying ).
    Hmm... something good that can be found in a regular supermarket? That's kind of tough, actually. xD I would probably recommend trying whatever local microbrews they happen to have. If you were in the Midwest, I could help you out with that a little more, but since you are talking about going to Taco Mac, it doesn't sound like you are anywhere near here, lol. Otherwise, Stella Artois is a decent, mass-produced beer you can find just about anywhere. It's sort of like Belgium's equivalent to Budweiser. So while not the best of the best, it's certainly a step above any of the domestics you'll find here.

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@igotthegoods Vending machines do not come with the ID-check features. How...? don't know ... but ....maybe with self-control?!

@Teubier Did you live there or just visit?

@kkck I see Newcastle around. If you like something lighter, St. Pauli Girl. What do you think everyone?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@igotthegoods Vending machines do not come with the ID-check features. How...? don't know ... but ....maybe with self-control?!

That would definitely not work in the US. We have no self control here.

Quote Originally Posted by mikkih
    @kkck I see Newcastle around. If you like something lighter, St. Pauli Girl. What do you think everyone?
    Newcastle is not too bad. I haven't had St. Pauli Girl in a long time, so I don't really remember how that one tastes. Oh! Just thought of another one: Harp is another decent one you should be able to find easily.

@kkck - You might want to check out the top beers lists at beer advocate to get some ideas. At the right, you can even search by region. Maybe you can find something good that's local.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teubier's Avatar
    Country
    Reunion
    Post Thanks / Like

@Teubier Did you live there or just visit?
    Unfortunetaly only visits for now. Hopefully more to come

Quote Originally Posted by igotthegoods View Post
    I've always wondered, how do they regulate the drinking age in Japan if there are vending machines that sell beer? Or do they at all? Do you have to swipe or scan your ID in some way in order to get a beer out of them?
    Mikkih already answered your question, but if I may add some things from what I could grasp :
    _ Legal drinking age doesn't seem enforced to the kids by the police if there is no reprehensible behaviour involved. I believe that it's more or less like in France, here a retailer won't bother a kid that looks kinda old enough even if he truly isn't, the law exist but it's not followed literally. Parents are trusted to deal with their kids before anyone else.
    _ Policemen seem alert about drivers however. The only arrest (altruist or mandatory, no idea, maybe both) I've witnessed was the one of a drunk guy trying (and comically failing) to start his Space Invader scooter's (what a beauty it was !!) engine.
    _ The ID-check seemed to be required for tobacco vending machines. Don't know what to think of it though...
    _ Beer vending machines would definitely not work here too, also no or very little self control, probably some lack of volition and high disrepair risk too. Winepoints however could work .
    _ I was amazed by how very few people, in two weeks periods each time, I saw walking in the streets with beer in hands in Japan (well, in big or moderate cities). And ~99 % of the times it was another foreigner or our own reflection in a window...
    Last edited by Teubier; December 01, 2011 at 03:59 PM.
    ~Oscar!http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic168684_18.gif!rascO~

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I have already tried stella artois. Pretty decent beer which is easily found just about everywhere. I am not that bent of drinking lighter beers if at all possible lol(budweiser sucks). I guess I can stick to the guinness I still have for the time being lol. Anyways, I am on the east side of the US at the moment so yeah lol.... I have never actually thought of looking for local breweries although perhaps where I am at is not an ideal location for them. If colder weathers are better for brewing then perhaps there would not be many around here. Gonna go google some stuff lol.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Actually, started googling stuff and it seems there are quite a few breweries around. It makes sense considering there are 1700 microbreweries in the US lol.

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by igotthegoods View Post
    That would definitely not work in the US. We have no self control here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teubier
    Mikkih already answered your question, but...
    I meant it as a joke. Anyway, many highschoolers are at least busy studying for entrance exams to enter colleges, I think. Back to the topic, St. P, it's light like Becks.

@kkck,
    Don't get broke! Having imported beers is quite costly.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Imported beers are costly sure, but having them out at a restaurant is even more expensive. Alcoholic beverages are easily 2.5x more expensive at a restaurant than if you buy them at the store.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

ok, tried a few beers last night lol. Tried pumpkin shocks top (adequate beer IMO although there was indeed a lot of flavor), a new castle brown ale (good stuff, perhaps I am begining to find my taste for ales) and a yuengling lager which was actually awesome and my new favorite beer (and since it is not an export it is affordable).

---------- Post added December 18, 2011 at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was December 02, 2011 at 04:29 PM ----------

Ok, I have drank a few different beers over the last weeks

Spaten franz
    More guinnes than I would care to admit (get one every time I go out and I finally felt the difference between the bottle and the can- can is far better)
    Dog rabbit milk stout (awesomeness).
    A couple of irish carbombs (not sure if it counts but it was far better than expected).

12. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Spaten franz
    More guinnes than I would care to admit (get one every time I go out and I finally felt the difference between the bottle and the can- can is far better)
    Dog rabbit milk stout (awesomeness).
    A couple of irish carbombs (not sure if it counts but it was far better than expected).
    If you like milk stouts or sweet stouts, I'd recommend Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The beer thread!

Question, how do I convince someone that Budweiser is not a particularly good beer (in terms of taste, aroma or color)? I told a few friends that in circles of people who actually know beer such a beer is not generally regarded as having any of those and they looked at me as if I was plain insane.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Question, how do I convince someone that Budweiser is not a particularly good beer (in terms of taste, aroma or color)? I told a few friends that in circles of people who actually know beer such a beer is not generally regarded as having any of those and they looked at me as if I was plain insane.
    When I hear other people champion beers like Corona and Miller Light I have the same problem. It's not a big deal really, because if you bitch about it too much they might call you a beer snob. All you can try to do is let better beer speak for itself. Though I must say that Corona/Bud/Miller are all very drinkable beers, not like I'm saying they're gross but like most mass-produced beer, the quality suffers.

I would just offer them a Weihenstephaner next time they want a lager and have them judge for themselves.

Or just link them here

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the best way is to drink different type of beers with them so that they can compare. It could be funny if when you do it, you have some czech Budweiser :-)

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried a new wheat beer last night that I really enjoyed and wanted to share here: Hitachino Nest White Ale. My friend asked our server to surprise him with something in a bottle she'd recommend and she brought this. I took a sip to sample and liked it so much, I ordered one for myself. It's very light and easy to drink, really nice. If you like other white ales (Hoegaarden, Blue Moon, Allagash White, etc), I highly recommend this. Now I kind of want to try some other beers from this brewery.

Also, picking a beer based on the name, isn't always a great idea, as I found out with the next beer I tried: Jinx Proof. Since it was Friday the 13th, I just had to give it a try. But unfortunately, I didn't really care for this one. It may be that I had just had too many at that point, but I found it kind of bitter and hard to drink. Three of us tried it and none of us finished our drinks. I was very disappointed, seeing as it was from Three Floyds Brewery, usually a pretty safe bet. Oh well, at least their Gumballhead is still awesome. <3

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny, but never posted here.

I would say that I'm beer fan, but still it's difficult to say what beer is good or bad. Some people like German beer, but I mostly like only dark german beer. I can't remember the name of beer in particular, still the type was alt or dunkel or shwarz.
    Actually I would say that my favourite types of beer are dark beer and ale. During parties I romally drinl Crushovice Dark or Newcastle Brown Ale.
    The thing is, when you are drinking in park in late spring or summer when it's really hot outside from 25 up to 40 it's time for beer like Corona or Miller, because they sute more for such a weather.

P.S. Also one point about the taste of beer... After four or five 0,5 liter cans you normally can't decipher good the diference in taste between diferent light beer like Tuborg, Carlsberg Bud or whatever. Thus it's logical to get about 4 or 5 cans of good beer and then if you want to drink more beer it doersn't matter what you actually drink.

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast