Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beer Thread!

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your favorite beer?

Seems interesting although writing a review on the whole thing is a damn pain (and me being unable to write the poetic stuff about flavor, smell and color would result perhaps in something similar to what he wrote to boot lol). I will definitely experiment though, I just need to finish the six pack in my fridge (or WTH, I might just go and get the damn things lol). It is kinda strange that the guiness from the bottle would be that different though. It makes sense that the can would provide the beer with more protection from light but the black plastic over it should be fairly protective as well (and it is not like they are left at noon exposed to the sun during transit either). Weird stuff lol. Anyways, I saw this on the guiness web page, dunno if you have seen it before.
    http://www.guinness.com/en-us/thebeer-es.html

There are videos on exactly how to pour a guiness lol. The moment I saw this I just had to watch it and I swear to god it made me thirsty as hell lol.

Anyways, I did notice something completely off in the review you showed in closer inspection. I don't think the guiness from the can and the guiness from the bottle are the same at all. Once is guiness draught and the other is an extra stout, wouldn't they be completely different? not sure why the draft would be stronger than the extra stout though.

edit: Just confirmed that the draught is actually presented in canned and bottled forms lol, disregard previous part of the post lol. Still, something to look out for when buying guiness.

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 AM ----------

On another note, I have been having fun with this web page.
    http://beeradvocate.com/
    Review for hundreds of beers from several people. It has been fairly useful to me so far. Enjoyed seeing them butcher budweiser (a little disappointed that groslch was rated so low though but what ya gonna do...).
    Last edited by kkck; November 26, 2011 at 02:57 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teubier's Avatar
    Country
    Reunion
    Post Thanks / Like

Yebisu (gold, green and black), Bush aka Scaldis (amber preferably).
    Not really beers but Asahi Sparx 9 and Desperados are really nice after physical effort.
    As to the worst I drank, if I may, I would say Amsterdam Maximator.
    ~Oscar!http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic168684_18.gif!rascO~

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

kkck, if you want a good ale, go with Smithwick's Irish red ale. Nothing too fancy or overpowering about it.

As far as my opinions...I like a wide range of different types of beers. Belgium definitely has the best, most superior tasting breweries though. Anything from a Strong Pale or Dark Ale, a Tripel, to even Lambic if I want something sour. Most Trappist beers have that extra "umph" and complexity, but without really feeling as heavy as they are. Can't go wrong with a good Stout either.

There are smaller breweries here in the US who make really good beers though, like Magic Hat, Dogfish Head, and a local one, Flying Dog. They make a bunch of different types of beers. Naturally, you'll probably prefer certain styles over others. Maybe you just don't like Ale? A lot of Ale is ruined by too much filtering IMO.

If you want a good Amber Lager go with Honey Brown, if you can find it.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I have actually tried dogfish head lol. Tried their palo santo and the 60 minute ipa. I liked the palo santo better.... Anyways, dunno why but when I try ales there is something I have disliked so far... Obviously they are not bland or anything of the sort but there is a flavor in particular there which I dislike, not sure how to explain it (I suspect it is actually the ale flavor but I can't be too sure with what I know right now).

Gonna try a dos equis amber right now.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I have actually tried dogfish head lol. Tried their palo santo and the 60 minute ipa. I liked the palo santo better.... Anyways, dunno why but when I try ales there is something I have disliked so far... Obviously they are not bland or anything of the sort but there is a flavor in particular there which I dislike, not sure how to explain it (I suspect it is actually the ale flavor but I can't be too sure with what I know right now).

Gonna try a dos equis amber right now.
    Dos Equis makes a pretty decent beer, at least in comparison to other "Mexican" brands. Let me know if it's good.

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I actually have been looking for a good lager these days (not a pale lager like heineken, grolsch or becks). Any recommendations (specially if they are available at the US).
    Weinhenstephaner makes an outstanding lager with a nice, crisp flavor to it with almost no bitterness. Thy are better known for their heffe but the lager is very good too.

Not sure about my favorite, probably Kwak or Weinhenstephaner's Heffe. Overall I prefer strong, high alcohol beers particularly Belgian. I have not had all of the Trappists yet but Chimay and Orval are among my favorites.

If your looking for ale, Samuel Smith makes the best. They are a great Yorkshire based brand with a number of very English styles. I am partial to their Nut Brown Ale.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

And yeah, beer advocate is a great site! I have them book marked on my phone, I read the reviews when I'm in the beer store
    Last edited by Kaiten; November 27, 2011 at 12:26 AM.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Dos Equis makes a pretty decent beer, at least in comparison to other "Mexican" brands. Let me know if it's good.
    It was actually pretty decent, I liked it better than the regular dos equis. It has a little more flavor and I was surprised at how dark it actually was. Its worth the try lol.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Weinhenstephaner makes an outstanding lager with a nice, crisp flavor to it with almost no bitterness. Thy are better known for their heffe but the lager is very good too.

Not sure about my favorite, probably Kwak or Weinhenstephaner's Heffe. Overall I prefer strong, high alcohol beers particularly Belgian. I have not had all of the Trappists yet but Chimay and Orval are among my favorites.

If your looking for ale, Samuel Smith makes the best. They are a great Yorkshire based brand with a number of very English styles. I am partial to their Nut Brown Ale.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

And yeah, beer advocate is a great site! I have them book marked on my phone, I read the reviews when I'm in the beer store
    I will see if I can find them, although I will probably need a better place to look for it (the supermarket where I go to has decent variety but it is still pretty much very standard. I do enjoy the bitterness though.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
     Being a big fan of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal stout, I must agree with you, but since kkck likes light colored beer, New Castle may be easier for him to start.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not bent on the light colored part, I do want to try stronger beers. In particular I am interested in finding stronger lagers and breaking off the traditionally mass produced ones(which will prove difficult specially once I go back home where you would only find the local mass produced ones lol).

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

kkck, what weiss beer have you tried?

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Only 2 up to the point and I did enjoy them. I tried Franziskaner some time ago and it is pretty much one of the best beers I have tried, I enjoyed feeling the wheat there. Then I tried endirger although I can't recall if I enjoyed that one better than the other one. None of the ale taste but a lot of other stuff to enjoy. Those are a little pricy back home though, that is why I rarely buy them.

I tried the guiness with the widget today too. It was actually pretty good. Not sure if I was supposed to drink it straight out of the can or serve it in a glass though (which is cool considering I bought a 4 pack lol).

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

kkck, please don't drink it out of the can! Pleeease pour it in a pint glass. Let us know what you think of bottles vs cans ~

14. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

to mikkih. I never knew you liked beer. That's awesome.

How did I miss this thread until now?

I'm a big fan of beer. I drink and enjoy many different types, but my favorites tend to be stronger Belgian ales, usually pale, but not exclusively. Love all the Trappists I've tried. A lot of my favorite beers have already been mentioned: Kwak, Orval, Chimay Blue, Weheinstephaner Heffe and Original, Tripel Karmeliet, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Nut Brown Ale, etc. A couple of others that I'd highly recommend are Weheinstephaner Vitus and La Chouffe. The latter is on tap at one of my most-frequented bars here and is my go-to drink whenever I'm there. The 8% ABV tends to sneak up on you, but it goes down really easily.

I have to say I'm really surprised at the reviews of Kwak on beer advocate. I really enjoy it, so I'm shocked it's rated so low. Maybe I'm not a proper beer snob? I don't know.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they didn't like the glass. Honestly, I don't know who invented it, it's so unpractical. But the Kwack itself is really tasty.
    Speaking of Belgium beers, can you find some lambic in the US ? Everytime I go to Brussels, I make a stop at La Becasse estaminet to drink some.

Concerning the guiness, I only drink it draught, although I have treid the camerounese version in bottle. But it doesn't taste at all like a guiness so it does not really count.

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get lambic here, but it's not very common. The only one I've tried personally is Lindeman's Framboise. It was good. Very sweet, though. I couldn't drink too much of it.

New Reply
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast