Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2) , Gintama 511 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Whats the fuss bout CoC?!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member MaiSiaoSiao's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Whats the fuss bout CoC?!

i think they CoC users can Select people who they wan to intimidate and not just reducing their power.Take Shanks saving Luffy for example..If CoC really has to be reduce in order to refrain from intimidating weaker people,that would mean luffy is stronger then seaking at the age of 7...which i highly doubt.Another recent example, is when rayleigh was teaching luffy the basic of haki and some huge elephant barge out.Even luffy in G2 couldn't hurt it.and yet rayleigh CoC could knock it out while not affecting luffy.
    That goes to say that CoC can be controlled to the extend of not intimidating people whom u do not wish to intimidate.And not just reducing its power level.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BlackHair's Avatar
    Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

Well as already said CoC is mainly only used on "fodder". It has zero effect on strong opponents. But battles are fought in armies and in ever army there are some fodders, so it is indeed a advantage. But again meaningless in serious fights against tough foes.

But I think CoC is mainly used as a prestige. Whoever posses CoC has great leadership and is destined to lead a army. And most likely is known in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    But as Shanks demonstrated on Whitebeard's ship, the CoE establishes some kind of pressure that knock out the fodder characters in an instant and that can even damage non-living objects. Oda spent a whole panel on this - I don't think it was wasted as effect to hype.
    Actually I think Oda did indeed use the material objects to hype haki. After all Haki was presented in that form for the very first time in the entire manga. So making it grand and special is just obvious. As Shanks was using it on the battlefield for the 2nd time, blocking Akainus attack, we didn't see any cracks on material objects, nor on the several other uses by Luffy and Rayleigh. So the simple and best conclusion seems to me that Oda used the cracks on Mody Dick just to hype Haki.

Quote Originally Posted by MaiSiaoSiao View Post
    i think they CoC users can Select people who they wan to intimidate and not just reducing their power.Take Shanks saving Luffy for example..If CoC really has to be reduce in order to refrain from intimidating weaker people,that would mean luffy is stronger then seaking at the age of 7...which i highly doubt.Another recent example, is when rayleigh was teaching luffy the basic of haki and some huge elephant barge out.Even luffy in G2 couldn't hurt it.and yet rayleigh CoC could knock it out while not affecting luffy.
    That goes to say that CoC can be controlled to the extend of not intimidating people whom u do not wish to intimidate.And not just reducing its power level.
    The event with Shanks in chapter 1, was more likely Saki. Which just means killing intent. It was confirmed by Oda that he did not intent to make OP a long running series. I remember reading somewhere that it was supposed to run only for about 100 chapters. But as many times, Oda did a miss calculation. So Im definitely sure that Oda did not think of haki in chapter 1. It has to be more likely Saki, killing intent. Which is commonly used in other mangas as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MaiSiaoSiao View Post
    Nah.Rayleigh "selected" the people he wanted to knock out/intimidate.So the rest wasn't affected
    I honestly was never sure about that. But I believe giving the facial expression of Sanji, Zoro and the rest, I believe Ray just throw it into the room. With confidence that the grandson of Garp and his companion are strong enough to withstand that. After all Luffy is Shanks (his former pupils) chosen man and the 3rd generation carrying that strawhat.

Anyway, Ray did for sure not hold back on the rookies. As he commented himself.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I also read that he did not intend to make the manga this long however I don't think he ever intended on making the manga 100 chapters short. I think he originally intended to have the war a lot earlier however he decided to make it longer. My impression was that he intended for a 500 chapter long manga and it got to be twice that.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BlackHair's Avatar
    Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

hm.. Then I might have read that part with 100 chapters somewhere on a forum, idk.. has certainly been a while. Anyway, I just don't see Oda thinking of haki in chapter 1. Heck even Shanks loosing his arm does seem now out of context, considering our current knowledge. I think Oda did not foresee Shanks role that much in advance, does not make any sense to me.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Haki capable of breaking stuff would be COA not CoC. I do doubt the commanders are that strong though. Frankly, even hody before the pills did not seem significantly stronger than lucci.
    COC was using to break (a very tiny part of) the moby dick by shanks. Apparently, pressure can be hard enough even on objects.
    Last edited by zelllogan; December 02, 2011 at 01:04 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Luffy wasn't aiming his haki at Hody and his officers. I think he was saving them for him and his crew.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2