Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Talking about love rivals...

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking about love rivals...

This time let's talk a bit deeper about romance; to be specific it's about love rivals.

The idea came from the word 'villain'. It is obvious how love rivals can turn into 'villain's. What do you think of them? What kind of love rivals do you like or hate? Do you think it is necessary to make a shoujo or josei series interesting? Or maybe you have special views regarding love rivals?

Talk it away!

For me it depends on the type of love rivals. For example, I like Fuka's and that-little-celebrity-whose-name-I-forget's role in Kodomo no Omocha as love rivals of the two main characters. They come natural; their 'dirty play' are also natural and not in annoying level. But when I read The Bride of the Water God, in other case, I feel like there are too many love rivals coming one after another and they always play dirty while the main casts are just too dense to realize it. Kind of annoying. ^^;

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Talking about love rivals...

A rival is by no means necessary but can add a nice bit of tension to romance manga, if done well. Kurumi is one of my favorite characters in KimiToo; with such well mannered, kind protagonists she added some nice sour notes to the story. The challenge Kurumi presented helped Sawaka better understand herself and what she really felt for Kazehaya. The romantic side of Ouran was better for having Hikaru as a friendly rival for Haruhi's feelings.

There are many good romance manga without major rivals. High School Debut had no rival character, and was all the better for it. Puppy love and jealousy don't really mix. Lovely Complex had a rival but he was only a brief challenge, Risa and Ootani was to great a pairing for a rival. As far as I am concerned a rival is only as good as the writing. As nothing more than a trope, rivals are worthless. But a rival that uncovers emotions the lead character never thought they had adds a lot to a story.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Talking about love rivals...

Late reply is late.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Kurumi is one of my favorite characters in KimiToo; with such well mannered, kind protagonists she added some nice sour notes to the story. The challenge Kurumi presented helped Sawaka better understand herself and what she really felt for Kazehaya.
    I was actually kind of annoyed at Kurumi. :P She acted nice and 'clean' towards Sawako and Kazehaya at first though she was actually scheming something behind. That is typical, and though I am annoyed I agree with you that she helped bring out those two's feelings better. I tend to appreciate rivals who fought 'openly', though. XD

Although I admit that a 'too friendly' rival, like the case of girls fighting over Kou Mabuchi in Ao Haru Ride is rather... annoying as well, in terms of being too slow. The girls are somehow too considerate to actually bring the actual meaning of rivals. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    As far as I am concerned a rival is only as good as the writing. As nothing more than a trope, rivals are worthless. But a rival that uncovers emotions the lead character never thought they had adds a lot to a story.
    So far I haven't met a series without love rivals which go well. Love is bland if there is no challenge or temptation after all. I wonder if there is a series which actually kind of confusing and boring because of rivals. XD

New Reply