Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: The Shinigami Representative Badge

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner packages's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Shinigami Representative Badge

If the information Ginjo has revealed is correct, I sense either a plot hole or about 4 chapters of filler and one chapter of useful information.
    If Ukitake and the rest of the Gotei 13 really are trying to keep Ichigo's powers suppressed and his existence under surveillance and control, why then would they immediately after losing his powers band together to restore them through Urahara's sword?
    I suppose there could be some reason why they might need him that hasn't been presented, or it could be for the purpose of eliminating Ginjo before this purpose was revealed. However the situation Ichgio is in would have to have been premeditated.
    While I don't think that the Gotei 13's badge is necessarily entirely evil, it is safe to say so far that based on Urahara and Isshin's reactions to the possibility of Ichigo learning the truth that there was definately something to be hidden, and this is not to be discarded as a lie.
    And once more to play the devil's advocate, if Isshin did in fact know the truth as is presented, would he still have helped Urahara and the Gotei 13? Wouldn't he have warned Ichigo if it were something life threatening?
    Then again, we still have a lot to learn about Isshin.

Thoughts?

Edit: Also, it shouldn't be a surprise that if there is a large conspiracy that Ukitake would be behind it. The one you'd least expect? Almost seems like an Aizen repeat. Last time I checked, Aizen had been watching Ichigo since birth and given him ample opportunity to improve.
    Last edited by packages; November 23, 2011 at 10:55 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Revolation's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Something Doesn't Add Up Here

Alot of 'info' Ginjo gave was when he was 'under' the influence of Tsuki, and when it was revealed Tsuki had stabbed him, that threw alot of things out the window.

Mainly that: Tsukishima killed the substitute shinigami,

"According to Kūgo Ginjō, Tsukishima gathered several different people with Fullbring abilities some time ago together in order to find a way for them to erase their powers. He formulated the plan to pass their powers on to a Shinigami Representative, forming the group, Xcution. However, once this process began, he had a change of heart and used his abilities to kill the Shinigami Representative and those who had been relieved of their powers. Now Ginjō has theorized that Tsukishima's new goal is to keep Ichigo Kurosaki away from them. It is revealed later that this backstory is a lie created by Tsukishima's Fullbring in order to thoroughly deceive Ichigo Kurosaki, since Kūgo was horrible at acting, as Tsukishima claims."

Not to mention that the backstory made absolutely no sense anyway, both before and after we learn that Ginjo was lying in the first place.

As for the Gotei 13, we don't know their motives at the moment, Isshin is still a mystery, except he seems to be affiliated with Urahara. This goes back all the way since we see Isshin talking with Urahara after he killed grand fisher. Speaking of Urahara, we never know what that guy is up to.
    Bleach 354-356 spoiler and chapter discussions. Most hilarious ones ever. How hueco mundo and The Lust arc killed "ichihime"
    Spoiler: What happened with Nel and Kenpachi after Ichigo went to Ulqiorra(vol 39 sketches) show

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by packages View Post
    If the information Ginjo has revealed is correct, I sense either a plot hole or about 4 chapters of filler and one chapter of useful information.
    If Ukitake and the rest of the Gotei 13 really are trying to keep Ichigo's powers suppressed and his existence under surveillance and control, why then would they immediately after losing his powers band together to restore them through Urahara's sword?
    They way I understood the chapter was that the other purpose of the badge was to suppress the holder's powers. It did not matter if the person given the badge was deemed an ally or foe. When Ichigo was givien the badge Ukitake or the SS did not know about his background that much and so Ukitake / Soul Society probably wanted to keep a track of Ichigo.

Skipping forward to the present, in the case the for Ichigo, he clearly has become friends with the goeti 13 and thus they wanted to help him restore his powers. While the badges original or secondary purpose when functional was to carry on its duties to spy, restrain, etc in the event the holder need to be taken out or was deemed a threat.
    Quote Quote:
    I suppose there could be some reason why they might need him that hasn't been presented, or it could be for the purpose of eliminating Ginjo before this purpose was revealed. However the situation Ichgio is in would have to have been premeditated.
    While I don't think that the Gotei 13's badge is necessarily entirely evil, it is safe to say so far that based on Urahara and Isshin's reactions to the possibility of Ichigo learning the truth that there was definately something to be hidden, and this is not to be discarded as a lie.
    And once more to play the devil's advocate, if Isshin did in fact know the truth as is presented, would he still have helped Urahara and the Gotei 13? Wouldn't he have warned Ichigo if it were something life threatening?

Thoughts?

Edit: Also, it shouldn't be a surprise that if there is a large conspiracy that Ukitake would be behind it. The one you'd least expect? Almost seems like an Aizen repeat. Last time I checked, Aizen had been watching Ichigo since birth and given him ample opportunity to improve.
    Isshin motives or reason to stay quite is a real mystery throughout the series. Its clear that he and Urahara know things that we do not. I do not believe what Ginjo said about the badge's other purpose was false. Also, I don't see the badge issue as a conspiracy of sorts, it appears to me like a cautionary procedure on Ukitakes part.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Just want to point this out but urahara was not necessarily talking about the badge. Lets face it, keeping track of a guy with captain level power makes perfect sense from SS perspective. In this regard, I would argue there might be more to the whole thing.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by packages View Post

Thoughts?

I don't see it as a plot hole.

They suppressed Ichigo's powers with the badge because they didn't know Ichigo and couldn't trust him.
    Now that Ichigo has fought with them and is on their side they can trust him not to betray them.
    So they gave Ichigo their powers to defeat Ginjo. Though why they want Ichigo to kill Ginjo I'm not so sure.
    I mean I'm not sure why they want Ichigo to be the one. Maybe it doesn't matter who kills Ginjo just as long as he's dead.

In any case I seriously doubt this is it for Ginjo's revelation of the Soul Society.

New Reply