Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Imagine Bakuman would be a monthly series

  1. #1
    Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Reviewer Alliance HQ
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,629
    Post Thanks / Like

    Imagine Bakuman would be a monthly series

    Now that the aspect of monthly serialization was brought up in the storyline an interesting thought crossed my mind. (That happens on a regular basis ) What would happen if Bakuman would be a monthly series instead of a weekly one? What would change?

    This creates room for some big discussion, I’ll tell you guys my thoughts on this topic, a little later, though

  2. #2
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Age
    28
    Posts
    573
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Imagine Bakuman would be a monthly series

    Not a whole lot I think. Maybe we'd get more parallel storylines (like a look into what Azuki's doing at the same time as we see Mashiro and Takagi). More details during key occurrences (more panels of Eiji's thoughts, more of Takagi plotting etc).

    Other than that, for us readers, it doesn't feel any different to just combining 4 weeks of chapter into one. But I can imagine translating one long chapter is better than translating 4 over a month, but that's just me. >______________>;

    (On a side note, the kerning in your sig is annoying me to no end. ತ_ತ /design OCD)
    Last edited by Knifeshade; November 26, 2011 at 05:44 PM.
    -

  3. #3
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,840
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Imagine Bakuman would be a monthly series

    It depends. Sometimes, the quality and amount of plot movement can dip in a monthly series. Just look at SPoT. SPoT's in Jump SQ and Konomi is currently only producing about 18 pages per month, which is about one weekly chapter in WSJ. A lot of monthly series only get about two weekly chapters moved through per month. I'm not a huge fan of monthly serialization, but I understand why it exists.

  4. #4
    Negative Syndicate
    Guest

    Re: Imagine Bakuman would be a monthly series

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    SPoT's in Jump SQ and Konomi is currently only producing about 18 pages per month, which is about one weekly chapter in WSJ.
    But, SPoT serialize between 2 to 3 chapters per month.

  5. #5
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,840
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Imagine Bakuman would be a monthly series

    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    But, SPoT serialize between 2 to 3 chapters per month.
    For the last two months, Konomi's produced two nine page chapters...The amount of development that occurs monthly, at the moment, is probably less than you'd see in one week if the series was in WSJ.

    On the topic of Bakuman, I just don't think that it would work on a monthly basis. In order to keep the plot moving along and not making it seem tiresome, you really need to be a monthly series. Now, to all the people who might say, "FMA was great and it was monthly," I didn't enjoy FMA and I didn't think that alchemy looked good or worked at all in the manga. FMA wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't the godly series that people hype it up to be. No matter how much you loved FMA, it was kind of slow, plus chapters weren't 25-30 pages, they were longer, usually around 40 or so pages. Still, in general, monthly series tend to not be done as well as weekly series.

  6. #6
    Negative Syndicate
    Guest

    Re: Imagine Bakuman would be a monthly series

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    For the last two months, Konomi's produced two nine page chapters...
    On October, SPoT had three 13 page chapters; on Novermber, it had 14 page and 17 page chapters. Which means Konomi did keep normal monthly series amount of page; you should look more carefully on it.

    Also, I also think Bakuman will not work in monthly if it keeps same story pace in weekly. Bakuman has to fit monthly series' story pace in order to do well in monthly magazine.

  7. #7
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,840
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Imagine Bakuman would be a monthly series

    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    On October, SPoT had three 13 page chapters; on Novermber, it had 14 page and 17 page chapters. Which means Konomi did keep normal monthly series amount of page; you should look more carefully on it.
    Most Jump SQ series put out significantly more pages than Konomi is putting out at the moment.

    Negative, I'm counting December's chapters...So, November and December. I haven't seen the full raws of 67-68, but neither's going to be very long. Probably 10 pages each, but whether you count riding a Segway as a page is questionable.

    No, in November, it did not have not 14 and 17 page chapters. Only count the actual amounts of story. Chapter 65 was 10 pages of manga, 11 if you count the color of Tezuka, but not 14. Chapter 66 was maybe 12-13 pages of manga (I don't feel like looking at the raw of chapter 66). Even more than that, Konomi's wasting pages, so we're getting about one full length (18 pages) chapter per month at the month.

    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    Also, I also think Bakuman will not work in monthly if it keeps same story pace in weekly. Bakuman has to fit monthly series' story pace in order to do well in monthly magazine.
    Moreover, most monthly series suffer from pace issues anyway. :P

  8. #8
    Negative Syndicate
    Guest

    Re: Imagine Bakuman would be a monthly series

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Most Jump SQ series put out significantly more pages than Konomi is putting out at the moment.

    Negative, I'm counting December's chapters...So, November and December. I haven't seen the full raws of 67-68, but neither's going to be very long. Probably 10 pages each, but whether you count riding a Segway as a page is questionable.

    No, in November, it did not have not 14 and 17 page chapters. Only count the actual amounts of story. Chapter 65 was 10 pages of manga, 11 if you count the color of Tezuka, but not 14. Chapter 66 was maybe 12-13 pages of manga (I don't feel like looking at the raw of chapter 66). Even more than that, Konomi's wasting pages, so we're getting about one full length (18 pages) chapter per month at the month.
    SPoT's amount is pretty average from 35 to 40 pages. There are more series which serialize more shorter than SPoT, like Embalming, D.Gray-man, and Claymore.

    I do carry all of raw chapters of SPoT, so I know how many they are. I don't understand what you said about "Only count the actual amounts of story," can you define this?

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Moreover, most monthly series suffer from pace issues anyway. :P
    I'm not sure most monthly series suffer their pace. Most monthly magazines don't do really long arcs (like 4 to 5 volumes worth); they mostly keep as 2 to 3 volumes (sometimes 4 volumes). Bakuman has some of not necessary story or arc (like second Nanamine's arc); so if it did going to move to monthly, Ohba shouldn't put these arcs. However, I don't think Bakuman will not ever move to a monthly magazine since it has no reason to it.

  9. #9
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,840
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Imagine Bakuman would be a monthly series

    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    SPoT's amount is pretty average from 35 to 40 pages. There are more series which serialize more shorter than SPoT, like Embalming, D.Gray-man, and Claymore.

    I do carry all of raw chapters of SPoT, so I know how many they are. I don't understand what you said about "Only count the actual amounts of story," can you define this?
    Other than the first chapter and some of the early chapters, most chapters have been 12-13 pages at most, and we haven't gotten 40 pages in a month in a while, not even 35 pages.

    Claymore's putting out more pages than SPoT is at the moment.

    No, Negative, no. Let's take a look at the scan of chapter 65. The entire scan is 13 pages long, which includes a Konomi drawing of Tezuka, an ad for the anime, and JAC's credit page. Now, how you get 14 pages out of clearly what is 10 pages, I have zero idea. There aren't even 14 pages in the entire scan of chapter 65.

    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    I'm not sure most monthly series suffer their pace. Most monthly magazines don't do really long arcs (like 4 to 5 volumes worth); they mostly keep as 2 to 3 volumes (sometimes 4 volumes). Bakuman has some of not necessary story or arc (like second Nanamine's arc); so if it did going to move to monthly, Ohba shouldn't put these arcs. However, I don't think Bakuman will not ever move to a monthly magazine since it has no reason to it.
    The monthly series that have been going on for at least a decade really drag and have lost it with the pace. Claymore's at 10 years and it's just dying. Berserk's been terrible for ages. Gantz failed at about the 10 year mark, and it's just been going nowhere for a long time.
    Last edited by FrostyMouse; December 04, 2011 at 04:43 PM.

  10. #10
    Negative Syndicate
    Guest

    Re: Imagine Bakuman would be a monthly series

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Other than the first chapter and some of the early chapters, most chapters have been 12-13 pages at most, and we haven't gotten 40 pages in a month in a while, not even 35 pages.

    Claymore's putting out more pages than SPoT is at the moment.

    No, Negative, no. Let's take a look at the scan of chapter 65. The entire scan is 13 pages long, which includes a Konomi drawing of Tezuka, an ad for the anime, and JAC's credit page. Now, how you get 14 pages out of clearly what is 10 pages, I have zero idea. There aren't even 14 pages in the entire scan of chapter 65.
    Did you know that the scanlator combine two pages if there are meant for spread pages? For example, page 4 of chapter 65 from your link, JAC group combine two pages into one, so it looks like it was just one page; reality, it is total of four pages. Also, I told you I have raws for SPoT (they don't combine a spread page), so I know how many pages there are. If you are still suspicious, I'll send chapter 65 that I have and you can count how many there are, if you want to see it.

    Thus, in reality, SPoT most of time releases 35 to 40 pages, and Claymore/Embalming/D.Gray-man release 31 pages per chapter.

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    The monthly series that have been going on for at least a decade really drag and have lost it with the pace. Claymore's at 10 years and it's just dying. Berserk's been terrible for ages. Gantz failed at about the 10 year mark, and it's just been going nowhere for a long time.
    Claymore is not dying; its tank sale is still high and its reception is still good. Berserk is slow because the author is taking too much breaks (like Togashi). Gantz is serializing in weekly magazines, not monthly.

  11. #11
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,840
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Imagine Bakuman would be a monthly series

    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    Did you know that the scanlator combine two pages if there are meant for spread pages? For example, page 4 of chapter 65 from your link, JAC group combine two pages into one, so it looks like it was just one page; reality, it is total of four pages. Also, I told you I have raws for SPoT (they don't combine a spread page), so I know how many pages there are. If you are still suspicious, I'll send chapter 65 that I have and you can count how many there are, if you want to see it.

    Thus, in reality, SPoT most of time releases 35 to 40 pages, and Claymore/Embalming/D.Gray-man release 31 pages per chapter.
    Oh, I know, Negative. Still, there are not 14 pages of manga in chapter 65. I've looked at the raws. Even if there are three spreads, that still doesn't make 14 pages. That only makes 13 pages. I don't remember seeing a fourth spread in the raws. Even if you want to call it an extra page, it's still the same thing, so it's not as if you're getting that many pages. Spreads bring down the amount of actual stuff that occurs per month.

    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    Claymore is not dying; its tank sale is still high and its reception is still good. Berserk is slow because the author is taking too much breaks (like Togashi). Gantz is serializing in weekly magazines, not monthly.
    Look at the story, Negative. Claymore has just started to die. It hasn't really gone anywhere for about two years. You completely miss what I'm trying to say. I know that English isn't your first language, so you don't always know specifically what I'm referring to, so I'll give you that....

    I thought that Gantz was monthly? Or is it just that the releases were really slow for a while and that's where I got that perception from? Now that I look at release dates, it's just that we get the scans a while between each one, so I got that perception, I guess.
    Last edited by FrostyMouse; December 04, 2011 at 06:11 PM.

  12. #12
    Negative Syndicate
    Guest

    Re: Imagine Bakuman would be a monthly series

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Oh, I know, Negative. Still, there are not 14 pages of manga in chapter 65. I've looked at the raws. Even if there are three spreads, that still doesn't make 14 pages. That only makes 13 pages. I don't remember seeing a fourth spread in the raws. Even if you want to call it an extra page, it's still the same thing, so it's not as if you're getting that many pages. Spreads bring down the amount of actual stuff that occurs per month.
    I think you didn't count on the color page.

    Also, you didn't argue on SPoT is getting less amount than Claymore. Is that mean you got that SPoT is actually getting more pages that Claymore?

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Look at the story, Negative. Claymore has just started to die. It hasn't really gone anywhere for about two years. You completely miss what I'm trying to say. I know that English isn't your first language, so you don't always know specifically what I'm referring to, so I'll give you that....
    Maybe you're right about Claymore, but many weekly series are also going nowhere. Like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Nurarihyon, etc. are going nowhere even it is serializing in weekly. I think the dying story is depend on the author other being serialized weekly/monthly.

  13. #13
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,840
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Imagine Bakuman would be a monthly series

    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    I think you didn't count on the color page.
    Yeah, I wasn't counting the color page of Tezuka. :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    Also, you didn't argue on SPoT is getting less amount than Claymore. Is that mean you got that SPoT is actually getting more pages that Claymore?
    In the previous post, I'd argued that SPoT was currently getting less than Claymore. When Konomi was putting out three chapters per month, SPoT was putting out more pages per month that Claymore. When Konomi was putting out two 18-20 page chapters per month, a lot more happened each month and it was getting more than Claymore then.

    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    Maybe you're right about Claymore, but many weekly series are also going nowhere. Like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Nurarihyon, etc. are going nowhere even it is serializing in weekly. I think the dying story is depend on the author other being serialized weekly/monthly.
    It's really just going nowhere these days. With a weekly serialization, Yagi could move the story along more quickly, so it wouldn't be as bad. With a weekly serialization, I think Claymore would have more life, but because literally nothing has happened the last two years of Claymore, Claymore is incredibly stagnant.

New Reply

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts