Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Full Metal Alchemist by Hiromu Arakawa

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Amatersu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Full Metal Alchemist by Hiromu Arakawa

Title: Full Metal Alchemist
    Genres: Shonen, Fantasy, Adventure
    Author/Artist: Hiromu Arakawa
    Publication: Monthly Shonen Gangan.
    Start Date: January, 2001
    End Date: On-going
    Number of chapters at review: 78
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 78

General Overview:
    The series starts off with two brothers Alphonse and Edward Elric in the desert. Edward is an alchemist, meaning he can basically control matter. They come to a desert town and the plot starts off. Series uses flashbacks interspersed within chapters. Chapters are in a monthly fashion so each one is around 40 pages.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 9
    Considering the mangaka has roughly a month to do one chapter, the art is amazing. Details are immaculate, each panel is awesome. Character designs are very memorable. Her comedic panels are particularly good.

Plot: 10
    It’s pretty much why I follow this series like a zealot. Highly intricate, with unforeseen twists and turns. The series makes excellent use of flashbacks, which almost always are relevant to the plot. It’s quite mature in ideas, and in structure. I’d compare it to the Master and Commander for terms of movement. Think of this more as an illustrated book, sometimes fights occur 2 chapters apart eschewing the shounen genre. Each chapter reveals something important to the plot.

Characters: 9
    The cast is immense, but doesn’t shove it down your throat like Bleach or other shonen does. Characters are introduced in chapters in manageable groups. Within those chapters she also develops/shows most of the supporting character’s back story, so the reader gets a greater understanding of where they’re coming from .The titular characters, Edward and Alphonse are very deep, and grow throughout the series. For me, at least, they’re the Hamlet of the manga world.

Themes: 9
    Prepare to experience each side of the emotional spectrum. Brotherhood features largely because well duh the titular characters are brothers. Death and its consequences are a large apart of the series which sometimes casts a melancholy shadow on the series, but other themes like loyalty and friendship come to the readers’ emotional rescue.

Originality: 10
    I’ve never seen a manga about alchemists before this one. It’s awesome to see something in the series then look it up online and, hey presto, it’s actually drawn from historical fact. I also liked the historical influence in this manga, I’m a sucker for historical fiction but seeing a re-imagining of our world is just plain awesome.

Overall: 10
    My favorite manga which most definitely gives me bias in reviewing it. You must read it.

Spoiler: Manga's images taken from earlier chapters to avoid spoiler, generally the art improves show
    Last edited by Luckas; April 18, 2008 at 07:59 AM.
    frack.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Full Metal Alchemist by Hiromu Arakawa

this is a great series but by watching the anime, pretty much spoil me...
    Maybe it is just me, but the anime seem to be better

overall 8/10

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Amatersu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

it can go either way I think. Personally, I think both are awesome. The dubbing of the anime was really great, whenever I'm reading the series I've got all the character's dubbed voices in my head. Watching the original (non-dub) version just seems weird.
    frack.

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amatersu View Post
    it can go either way I think. Personally, I think both are awesome. The dubbing of the anime was really great, whenever I'm reading the series I've got all the character's dubbed voices in my head. Watching the original (non-dub) version just seems weird.
    i actually feel the same way. of those that i have watched, this is the only anime that i prefer the dub. (i know, the horror! ) i saw the dub first, so those are the voices i've associated with the characters. but to be fair, though, i have only watched a few episodes of the subs. i might change my mind if i watched a bit more and got used to the voices. what really bothers me, though, is that ed and al's voices in the subs really just sound like women to me, not boys

as far as anime vs manga, i enjoy both, but i'd have to say the manga is better (as usual). the manga is one of my favorites

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member abu_89's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

such a great manga.. ... I just wish there was more of it.
    Proving 1 = 2 wrong
    Spoiler show

Proofreaders 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Nantalith's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

To me the anime and manga are two different stories but both use the same concept well. I prefer the manga though.

I would have also mentioned that while there are serious funny scenes, overall the manga is not light hearted. It is for that reason that a friend won't read it. The main reason I would give a high art rating is Arakawa's attention to detail; panels are full and clever angles are also used. Her cliffhanger are also very good.

It is my favourite and the only manga RAW I read.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Amatersu's review. The only thing I can think to add is to mention the ingenious bits of chemistry that are littered throughout this manga. Edward Elric makes chemistry fun.

As for which is better the anime or the manga, i would go with the manga, but Nantalith is right they are two different stories. Both of which are quite good.
    Last edited by Jammin; August 31, 2012 at 12:17 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't read the manga, but I'd have to say the Fullmetal Alchemist anime is one of, if not THE best anime I've ever seen.

New Reply