Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: Hello and What was this forum like before june 11 2010?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello and What was this forum like before june 11 2010?

Hey mangahelpers members! Im new here and I have to admit that the main reason I joined this forum was to ask this(these) question(s). I'm writing a research paper on you guys for my manga class and I want to investigate how this forum transitioned from a scanlation hosting forum to a place where members can get involved in scanlation and translation.

So, A few questions if you guys don't mind:

Were the forums any more active than they are now before Mangahelpers stopped hosting scanlations?

Did the forums include the translators and scanlators academy sections while mangahelpers was still hosting scanlations? How did the forums/website improve on the learning and teaching aspect of scanlation and translation?

Do you feel as if the forum has condensed itself in some ways? i.e. less traffic from those who were more interested in getting scanlations than being a part of a community

Generally how did the forum change after Mangahelpers stopped hosting scanlations? Do you like the forums more or less now? Where do you go now to get scanlations?

sorry if that was a lot, but hopefully some of you just feel like being awesome when you read this

Ill most likely be back tomorrow to check for responses

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello and What was this forum like before june 11 2010?

A rather dreary topic for a paper as the removal of scanlations had little to no effect on the forum. A very small percentage of traffic was lost, and then only those who used us to track releases. Members that came here to post remained and we have continued to thrive as a a discussion forum. Post count was completely unaffected by the removal of scanlations; Sasuke's lack of involvement in Naruto over the last year had a far greater effect on the forums. The academies did exist before scanlations were removed, those are very old forums. They have been revamped recently, to make navigation easier. The forum itself has expanded as we now support manhwa and manhua discussion. Mangahelpers was never built around scanlations, we were not an online reader, there removal had only minor effect on traffic and no effect on participation in the community.

3. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello and What was this forum like before june 11 2010?

Ahh dang.. Ill be rethinking my paper then. But thanks for the reply, it does help.

New Reply