Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: When will you stop reading manga?

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When will you stop reading manga?

Manga will be out of my life one day. I believe myself as rather silly if I think something will stay in my life for long.
    With no doubt, I'll leave MH one day and stopped reading manga altogether one day. But until then, I'll enjoy it for all I can.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I like your honesty, Zeltrax! The majority of us are students and aren't married with children yet. We still don't know what our future will look like so I agree that we should enjoy reading manga as much as we can right now.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

^ eh, why are you guys so pessimistic when it comes to reading manga? Do ppl stop listening to music or reading books when they are no longer students or have kids? So why the manga readers have to be silly to think that they'll continue reading mangas?
    Last edited by ashher; December 24, 2011 at 11:26 PM.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    The True Ninja MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted jorped's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BBB Banana View Post
    Honenstly I plan to do many things in my life and I know there will be one point when I won't have a time for manga, I pretend to be a civil engeneer and as well as a university teacher, so that itself will take a lot of my time so whenever kids come into play I won't have the time to read manga as I will have a family. Also I plan to write a few books.

There are actually so many things I plan to do that I can see manga getting out of my life sooner than I expect. Though if that happens before my fave series end I might come back to read them until the end one day.

I guess it will be similar to when I was small and had imaginary friends lol, one day I said I would cease to play with them, I looked back on the past many times and missed them but I never went back on my word. Once I say I'll quit manga I'll never go back on it.
    I think BBB described exactly what is much likely going to happen with me. I mean, in more than 4/5 months that i didn't started a new manga. Recently i read Shingeki, and it seems that now, i want to start read a lot of other mangas. But the fact is that i really can't. Exams that take days for you to be prepared, i didn't said fully prepared :S !, and if i don't want to fail i can't really start getting addicted on it. Nowadays is only Wednesday and those other days where the less popular manga are out ... so basically i don't spend much time with it.
    I know that if i start getting addicted, studies and some other stuff will loose the time they are supposed to have. I mean i am the kinda of people that tries to study for example the less time possible, to have the best mark possible, so imagine what would be if i read manga. I am starting to remember last year again. Where i read manga on the night before the exam

For now i will keep following manga. I am 100% sure that if i am alive, i will read Naruto till the end, cuz it isn't really going to take much to end, but i am not really sure if in 10 years i will be reading manga and for example if i will see how One Piece ended. When you get older, and you start to have to be yourself to deal with the problems, there's the possibility you might not even feel in the mood to read ... or even that you don't even remember that the possibility of reading manga exists. Being an honest as i can, i don't think i will be reading manga in 10/15 years.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashher View Post
    ^ eh, why are you guys so pessimistic when it comes to reading manga? Do ppl stop listening to music or reading books when they are no longer students or have kids? So why the manga readers have to be silly to think that they'll continue reading mangas?
    Reading manga is different from turning on an iPod or cracking open a book. The main difference is that we have to wait for releases as they come out, and most of the time we read manga online. Unlike other hobbies, there are a lot of steps that need to be taken in order for us to be entertained; the fact that it's a medium that is specific to the Japanese language plays a role.

EDIT: I prefer to read novels in one sitting, but I can't do that with manga since I have to wait chapter by chapter for an on-going story to be completed. Personally I read prose fiction faster than manga for some strange reason.
    Last edited by Asarii; December 29, 2011 at 12:53 AM.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    Reading manga is different from turning on an iPod or cracking open a book. The main difference is that we have to wait for releases as they come out, and most of the time we read manga online. Unlike other hobbies, there are a lot of steps that need to be taken in order for us to be entertained; the fact that it's a medium that is specific to the Japanese language plays a role.

EDIT: I prefer to read novels in one sitting, but I can't do that with manga since I have to wait chapter by chapter for an on-going story to be completed. Personally I read prose fiction faster than manga for some strange reason.
    Well,of course it depends on the way you consume manga.If you buy the hard copies,you are much less likely to lose interest or stop by chance,especially because you can always buy complete series.Though I have to admit that,as most series are ongoing and only available online,even I tend to forget about several series.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post

While weekly/monthly releases are a hindrance, they are not such a big factor, or at least i don't they should be. Also there is the factor that it takes a lot less time to read a chapter a day and then one can follow the releases. I mean there are ppl who watch telly right? while we all love watching movies at one go, that didn't stop ppl from following series like x-files or friends or recently house and prison break for years.

One can always read the completed serieses as googlez pointed out too.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Black Lagoon's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I will ever stop reading Manga, but I guess there would be a time where I won't be able to read as much as I want ... but will never stop until I die.

Sig Credit : Shinsatsu
    Quote Originally Posted by zerocooldx View Post
    In terms of pure intelligence and mental capacity the title belongs to Itachi. The guy could make a cat bark if he wanted to, and do so without his Sharingan.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner XxStrawberrySakura's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Im collecting pretty guardian sailor moon because sailor moon was my childhood really the only manga I read is Naruto and sometimes bleach but I haven't for a while so after sailor moon I probable will ^^ maybe I need to read though like vampire knight too so thats about it..anime is what is going to be hard....I probable will love that til I die ^^

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member rudorofu's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

When I reach the old age where I begin to think that reading manga is juvenile. Honestly, I don't know, but I can just see myself reaching an age where I will suddenly stop reading manga and watching anime altogether.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2